• May 18, 2024, 05:25:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Adding 3.3vdc to OBDII to MY17+?  (Read 651 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Adding 3.3vdc to OBDII to MY17+?
« on: April 18, 2018, 06:35:04 PM »

I noticed my DigiNow Reaper Dongle didn't work on any MY17 bikes. This is used to log into the MBB and check the status of the bike and adjust settings with a computer.

The issue was the 3.3vdc for OBDII accessories isn't wired from pin 10/40 MBB to pin 12 on the OBDII.

I have included a pdf below for those who feel competent enough to do this modification yourself ...

If the images / text are not enough then you might not currently have the skills required to do this install without potentially damaging your bike.

I make no guarantees this will work on your bike and you are responsible for checking the newly installed pin is indeed 3.3vdc out.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Adding 3.3vdc to OBDII to MY17+?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:34:10 AM »

This seems like a reasonable hack (and I've already been conferring with a few people about the pinout change and what it entails), but I guess I'll add a recommendation for DIYers repeating this:

The 3.3V power supply is minimal at best and so the resistance of the connection could create its own problems, so make sure the connection is well-made.

I've definitely confirmed that operating the dongle over an OBD-II extender introduces enough resistance that the dongle won't properly power on.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:51:23 AM »

I've definitely confirmed that operating the dongle over an OBD-II extender introduces enough resistance that the dongle won't properly power on.

0__0 ... how long was the extender and what size wires were used? (I assume they were well crimped)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 04:23:14 AM »

0__0 ... how long was the extender and what size wires were used? (I assume they were well crimped)

I tested using a commercial off the shelf OBDII plug extender of 3ft length and confirmed that the correct pins had continuity. The dongle wouldn't power on.

Maybe a 5V power supply would be more suitable than the 3.3V that's been used so far, anyway.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]