• April 26, 2024, 11:11:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can Someone Please Answer Some Firmware Update Questions For Me?  (Read 802 times)

BamBam

• View Profile

I have been reading threads for the last couple of weeks about problem people are having with firmware updates and have a couple of questions that I have not been able to find answers to.

1)  If we experience problems with a newer version of firmware, is it possible to go back to an earlier version.  I've seen this question asked several times, but have never seen an answer.  It seems to me that should be a simple enough thing to do.  I can do that with custom tunes on my Mustang as long as I save a copy of the older tune.

2)  I read this in another thread on this forum. "Can't be too safe .. it is a shame we can't disable over the air updates for the bikes as well."  Really, the updates are automatic?  I never heard of that before.  Is this true?  I thought a firmware update needed to either be initiated by the owner through the app or performed by an authorized Zero dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Can Someone Please Answer Some Firmware Update Questions For Me?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:40:04 AM »

There are no "Over the air updates" for our bikes.  Tesla automobiles yes, Zeros?  No.  You have to either bring the bike in to a dealer to get it updated (most will do it automatically unless you tell them specifically to leave it alone) or (if you have a 2017 or newer model) you do it yourself with your cellphone app.

It's the cellphone app that could possibly get updated automatically unless you have your phone settings set not to do that.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 09:59:01 AM »

There are no "Over the air updates" for our bikes.  Tesla automobiles yes, Zeros?  No.  You have to either bring the bike in to a dealer to get it updated (most will do it automatically unless you tell them specifically to leave it alone) or (if you have a 2017 or newer model) you do it yourself with your cellphone app.

It's the cellphone app that could possibly get updated automatically unless you have your phone settings set not to do that.
Five stars; excellent answer. That said, I have questions about "motor commissioning." How important is this? I think (?) it's independent of software updates -- ?? Personally, my 2016SR has always run flawlessly, so there's no way I'm going to let anyone update the software.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »

Five stars; excellent answer. That said, I have questions about "motor commissioning." How important is this? I think (?) it's independent of software updates -- ?? Personally, my 2016SR has always run flawlessly, so there's no way I'm going to let anyone update the software.

The dealer needs to do this, because it involves monitoring the controller directly and using a tool to retune it which has knowledge of how the software works. It's mostly preventative (it's an alignment check and fix) but the alignment being off means the controller misapplies the field to the motor, resulting in inefficiency at best, typically some wear on the motor over time, and severe problems losing torque at worst.

Definitely have it done when Zero recommends after buying the bike. The interval to check later is longer, though.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

goomicoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:30:21 AM »

A Zero rep told me that if you have problems with your bike and have not updated the firmware..............
They may not look kindly upon you if a warranty issue arises!
Think about that for a moment before deciding whether or not to update.
Zero could easily deny a warranty issue if they were so inclined and you would have no recourse.
Update the firmware. If something goes wrong it's on them. If something goes wrong and you haven't updated it's on you.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 04:32:55 AM »

It may be "on them" but it has literally been MONTHS without any resolution!!!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Zorgalouf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »

A Zero rep told me that if you have problems with your bike and have not updated the firmware..............
Zero could easily deny a warranty issue if they were so inclined and you would have no recourse.
Update the firmware. If something goes wrong it's on them. If something goes wrong and you haven't updated it's on you.
Well, i think he's wrong. If zero does not call back in an official way all the bikes they want to check, you do not have to go whenever they adjust a firmware! I mean, you imagine?
If a firmware is ok, and then they brought a new one, why the old one should not be ok? Naaaa, legally speaking, i think a lawyer will swap the problem.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »

I agree, if your bike is running good and performing the way you like it then there is no reason to do a firmware update unless you want to for just the sake of it.

But no one has addressed my original question of whether it's possible to revert back to an older firmware version if we have the firmware updated and don't like the way the bike is behaving.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:50:10 PM »

I agree, if your bike is running good and performing the way you like it then there is no reason to do a firmware update unless you want to for just the sake of it.

But no one has addressed my original question of whether it's possible to revert back to an older firmware version if we have the firmware updated and don't like the way the bike is behaving.

My guess is that no one here knows the answer to your question.  :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

goomicoo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 12:02:45 AM »

Well, i think he's wrong. If zero does not call back in an official way all the bikes they want to check, you do not have to go whenever they adjust a firmware! I mean, you imagine?
If a firmware is ok, and then they brought a new one, why the old one should not be ok? Naaaa, legally speaking, i think a lawyer will swap the problem.
You have a good point. But ZERO still holds all the cards and now you have Lawyers getting involved. That will be fun. Meanwhile your bike may or may not be rideable while you're waiting for your lawyers to figure it out. What a hoot! Billable hours, recovery costs, settlement fees, etc........
No thanks.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »

It can be done. After about 8 months of varying issues with SoC being weird on my '16 SR, firmware has been downgraded/reverted and my Zero range estimated and SoC reading is back to being as reliable as always. I'm super excited. Thanks Electric Cowboy!
Pages: [1]