Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Electric Motorcycle Stunts?

Yes, build it, stunt it!
I'm not sure how it's possible, but yes!
I don't think it's interesting.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Electric Motorcycle STUNTS  (Read 1750 times)

Shahin

• View Profile
Electric Motorcycle STUNTS
« on: April 02, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »

I recently tested the 2017 Zero SR, and as a stunt rider, it was only natural that I push some limits and debunk some rumors.  ;)

Personally, I'm hooked and I think the capabilities of the electric motorcycle are not fully realized by the motorcycle community in whole.

I'm interested in getting some feedback.

Thoughts, questions!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:55:35 PM by Shahin »

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
Re: Electric Motorcycle Stunts
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 11:11:16 PM »

Would love to see the video!
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

jmeperu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 11:22:18 PM »

how is popping the front end up at low speed without a clutch?

dv8sean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 11:36:11 PM »

Looks like you had no trouble figuring out how to turn off the ABS!

Shahin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:46:02 PM »

Popping the front end up at this point is a combination of an aggressive throttle snap (custom mode) and shifting my weight backward with the use of the passenger peg.

Video: https://youtu.be/fBi22TwflfA

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:20:44 AM »

how is popping the front end up at low speed without a clutch?

annoying.
You can back the fork rebound off, but you have to be super aggressive with your body weight.
Its not a quick snap up at low speed like you can do with a clutch.

Shahin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:08:44 AM »

Looks like you had no trouble figuring out how to turn off the ABS!

A must!  :D

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 01:24:54 AM »

I've never really been into that scene, or supercross or any of the "alternative" riding styles for that matter, but I'd love to see the capabilities of the eBikes pushed as hard as possible in all directions. Not only to see what they're capable of at the outer edges, but also to help shed the "two-wheeled golf cart" reputation. Show everybody that these bikes are not only the ultimate commuting solution, they're fully capable and competitive machines in every way.

I love the Isle of Man TT Zero race, but eBikes will have really arrived when the TT Zero goes away. That'll mean the eBikes don't need their own underclass, but can compete in -- and eventually take over -- the main event.

I don't think that day is all that far off. EVs are already competitive and even winning the Pike's Peak hill climb outright, and Lightning won outright a few years back in the motorcycle division, almost breaking the all-time motorcycle record. Sure, Pike's Peak is a lot shorter race, but range is just a matter of time.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 03:05:35 AM »

Good to see the rear fender clears without scraping.  Now teach me, please.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Shahin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 10:43:37 PM »

I've never really been into that scene, or supercross or any of the "alternative" riding styles for that matter, but I'd love to see the capabilities of the eBikes pushed as hard as possible in all directions. Not only to see what they're capable of at the outer edges, but also to help shed the "two-wheeled golf cart" reputation. Show everybody that these bikes are not only the ultimate commuting solution, they're fully capable and competitive machines in every way.

I love the Isle of Man TT Zero race, but eBikes will have really arrived when the TT Zero goes away. That'll mean the eBikes don't need their own underclass, but can compete in -- and eventually take over -- the main event.

I don't think that day is all that far off. EVs are already competitive and even winning the Pike's Peak hill climb outright, and Lightning won outright a few years back in the motorcycle division, almost breaking the all-time motorcycle record. Sure, Pike's Peak is a lot shorter race, but range is just a matter of time.

Definitely, pushing this bike to do wheelies and other stunts was a challenge but like you said, fully capable.

Shahin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 10:48:49 PM »

Good to see the rear fender clears without scraping.  Now teach me, please.

It cleared pretty well but if the plate was on it would be toast. Class is in session :)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Motorcycle STUNTS
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 06:32:29 AM »

I'm interested in seeing more stunt riding on electrics. KTM had a promotional video shot for the Freeride-E and was about the most I've seen yet.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 05:45:18 AM »

I recently tested the 2017 Zero SR, and as a stunt rider, it was only natural that I push some limits and debunk some rumors.  ;)

Personally, I'm hooked and I think the capabilities of the electric motorcycle are not fully realized by the motorcycle community in whole.

Thoughts, questions!

How do you learn to do that stuph .. without lots of falls and broken bones?

Hm; I always tell people you can't do a wheelie on an SR due to the weight distribution. Guess I'll have to rethink! But nothing that I'd ever try -- its *way* outside my skill-set.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 05:49:37 AM »

Thoughts, questions!
Also, the burning rubber thing (I'm sure it has a name): PLEASE STOP DOING THAT!  There's no need to add to air pollution .. and it's just not cool. Peace.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »

Thoughts, questions!
Also, the burning rubber thing (I'm sure it has a name): PLEASE STOP DOING THAT!  There's no need to add to air pollution .. and it's just not cool. Peace.
on the flip side of this... if it gets more people to ride electrics and view them as cool.... sure. do it.
because moving two people from ICE to EV will create less pollution than the burnout(thats its name) will.
Not to mention, while annoying, the smell and particles do settle out of the air pretty quickly.
Pages: [1] 2