• April 25, 2024, 06:09:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: My first REAL issue.  (Read 3633 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: My first REAL issue.
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »

The new motor also comes with a warranty and they'll go over all of that once the bike can be picked up.

Very interesting. When my motor was replaced last year, I received literally nothing. I mean I got my bike and keys back and a verbal that they changed the motor, but not a single piece of paper.

I'd check with your dealer.  I find it hard to believe a part that expensive would be installed WITHOUT some kind of warranty ESPECIALLY if it is a new component straight from the manufacturer.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »

You can't make this stuff up.  ...when the mechanic was moving the bike, he backed it too close to a post and snapped off the footpeg!!...
The footpeg snapped off backing into a "post"?   :o    Can you share a clear picture of the damage?

No, because it is at the dealer.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 09:05:36 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing myself ... "snapped a foot peg" to me means frame damage.

I have broke some rear sets before (custom made) when dropping my bike in an ice storm but was able to weld it back together (welding 3/8" aluminum is fun btw) and simply use another threaded hole for the peg.

But I cannot imagine the stock pegs being so weak or breaking without taking some of the frame with it.

The stock footpegs are very fragile.  I dropped my Zero when stopped and the right rider's footpeg snapped off clean at the pivot point.  It is made of really cheap pot-metal. There was absolutely no damage to the frame or the footpeg mount. However, not only are replacement footpegs are quite cheap, but they are just about the same as the passenger footpeg and one of those can be substituted for the rider's footpeg if necessary.  Replacement only takes a few minutes.

Exactly.  The pegs are the exact same part used by the Buell XB models (except for the Ulysses), and as the passenger pegs on the 1125R models.  They are "sacrificial lambs" to protect the rest of the frame.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 11:06:39 PM »

The stock footpegs are very fragile. 
Even the DS rider footpegs?

Either way good to know ... might order a couple to have on hand in case I need them.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 03:52:19 AM »

The stock footpegs are very fragile. 
Even the DS rider footpegs?

Either way good to know ... might order a couple to have on hand in case I need them.

When I ordered two replacement footpegs for my "S", I got the impression that all of the Zero footpegs are pretty much the same.  There is a slight difference between the passenger and the rider's footpegs, but I had no problem installing the passenger pegs on to the rider peg mounting bracket.  The only irritation was getting the return spring installed. I think I needed a screwdriver or pliers to lever the spring on to the replacement peg.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »

Just looked up some images of the SR foot pegs ... they do look really close to the passenger pegs ... but the DSR pegs are completely different for sure.  The DSR and the FX share the same foot pegs.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 07:31:02 PM »

Just looked up some images of the SR foot pegs ... they do look really close to the passenger pegs ... but the DSR pegs are completely different for sure.  The DSR and the FX share the same foot pegs.

They are not 'quite' the same but you can swap them in a pinch. (ask me how I know... ;) )
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »

And the saga continues.

Zero sent the dealer a software fix that is supposed to solve the Charging/Range issues we've all been bitching about for about a year now.  They installed it, but when they tested it, the first crack of the "throttle" resulted in the motor running WFO.  He says Zero analyzed the logs, figured out the glitch, and will be sending a fix today.

My question:  Why is MY bike the guinea pig??  Don't they test these things BEFORE having them installed on customer bikes?  Seriously... WTF???
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »

And the saga continues.

Zero sent the dealer a software fix that is supposed to solve the Charging/Range issues we've all been bitching about for about a year now.  They installed it, but when they tested it, the first crack of the "throttle" resulted in the motor running WFO.  He says Zero analyzed the logs, figured out the glitch, and will be sending a fix today.

My question:  Why is MY bike the guinea pig??  Don't they test these things BEFORE having them installed on customer bikes?  Seriously... WTF???

I looked at the logs of my 2018 S with PT, purchased in November 2017, and it looked to me like the bike had been tested at the factory for about a month before I bought it. The logs went back about a month before my dealer ever received it from the factory.  ???  So far, I haven't had a real problem and I have the latest BMS and MMB firmware revisions 31 installed.  As near as I can tell, the firmware updates seem to have no effect upon how my bike runs, all they seem to do is to eliminate the amount of battery condition information displayed on the Zero app.  :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 07:58:27 PM »

Still dead.  Someone on Facebook suggested I start looking into New York's lemon laws and just get a refund.  From what I can see, though, that will screw the dealer and NOT Zero.  I happen to like this dealer and they service my other two motorcycles (BMWs) so I would rather not get on their bad side.  This is really starting to piss me off, though.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2018, 01:34:13 AM »

Got fed up with waiting and called Zero directly (their customer support number is on the bottom of their "Owners" page).  The guy I spoke to was "California Pleasant" despite my temper on the phone.  He was as good as his word when he said he'd have a tech call my dealer right away.  Just heard from my dealer that they're on the phone with Zero right now.  My dealer tells me he has four other Zero customers all pretty much in the same boat I'm in.  He wasn't even sure for which bike they were calling until they gave him my VIN. 

Forget model improvements.  For 2019, I want to see Zero spend their money on improving customer and dealer support!!!  After this experience, I don't see myself recommending a Zero to any of my friends.  I was whole-heartedly recommending them up until this incident, but no longer.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2018, 04:02:13 AM »

The dealer dropped off the bike this morning as promised.  It had a 100% charge on it, but the anticipated range was only showing 55 miles.  I decided to take it for a ride and see what I could see. 

As I started out, the battery charge dropped a lot faster than it should, as did the remaining range, but a funny thing happened.  Around 30 miles out, the battery display didn't change and the range started climbing back up.  Eventually it showed more range than when I first started out.

I continued riding, figuring if it actually did run out of charge I would just call AMA MoTow and have them pick me up.  I ended up putting 90 miles of combined city and highway riding and parked it in the garage with 5% charge left (and approximately 5 more miles of range left).  Interestingly enough, the range from the Android app had dropped to 0 quite a bit sooner (but since it started up claiming I could go 684 miles on the current charge, I pretty much ignored it).

Next time I take it out for a spin I'll have to see what the numbers look like on both the dash and the Android app.  Maybe running the battery all the way down like that will reset the computer and display more realistic numbers again?  Wouldn't that be nice?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »

Well hopefully the majority of your problems are over.  Sounds like firmware to me... Been living with mine for a while now.  Just watch your voltage to get the "real" picture.  Range will be completely unreliable.  Hopefully, the new firmware fixes this, though at least the first 8-10 rides could be due to the software recalibrating.   Pulling the logs generally wipes the memory.  So the bike is starting from zero again. (Pun intended🤣).

Cheers, hope its gets better for you from here on out!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 2 [3]