• April 25, 2024, 06:06:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie Question on Diginow  (Read 1774 times)

craigunger

• View Profile
Newbie Question on Diginow
« on: March 07, 2018, 01:28:05 AM »

Hi there,
I am about to pick up a 2017 Zero DSR .
I am thinking of adding a power tank for greater range but i still want fast charging :)
It seems the Diginow is the solution to go with but is this still true if my tank is already spoken for with the power tank?
Would the built in Zero charging circuit be removed if i go with diginow or will i end up with both? Or is it my choice?
What capacity should i go with?  I understand the 9.9 will still keep the look of the bike if installed externally (from Brandon at Diginow).
If i go with a 9.9 wouldnt i be better off keeping the built in circuit since most charging stations wouldn;t be able to provide enough juice for a 9.9 (or do i have that wrong)
Also just to clarify how will i be plugging in at charging station (J plug for diginow and perhaps a second plug if i retain the built in charging circuit)

Thanks for your patience i am a complete noob.
Thx,
Craig

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Newbie Question on Diginow
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:55:54 AM »

You won't lose the onboard (overnight) charger in any case. The power tank and/or Diginow will be an adjunct, not a replacement. As far as size is concerned, keep in mind that the great majority of stations now are limited to a little less than 6kW....of course, that's not going to be true in the future. And as I understand it, Diginow's 9.9kW solution has TWO inputs; if you use only one, you'll get up to 6.6kW, using both will give you the 9.9kW.

I love the Diginow solution, and I recommend it highly. I was one of the first people to install one on my bike, though....well, there's a long story there.

But I don't use it very often. Honestly I've probably only used it a couple dozen times, on maybe half a dozen long(ish) trips now. But my days of wanting to see the entire country on my bike are pretty much past me now.

So I've been thinking that maybe having it (or other high-powered charger) in a case that fits in the top box or a side bag makes more sense, for me. I could then use the power tank for more day-to-day utility, or just remove the extra weight when I don't need it.

I'm on the fence right now. If I was buying a new bike, it would be a tough decision. Might be the best of all worlds -- extra range, faster charging only when you need it.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

craigunger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:17:12 AM »

Thanks Doug for the valuable insight!
I think Brandon at Digipower said i would replace the built in charger on the bike.  Perhaps that is because the Diginow 9.9 does have 2 plugs and you would never have it plugged into thhree outlets at once?
Anyone have experience with the 9.9 diginow?
Thx,
Craig

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:57:12 AM »

I don't have any but the two "plugs" refers to two J1772 plugs not the standard wall outlet plugs.
So you would need a side by side charging station setup and both of them not in use to get your 9.9kws.
Also I'm wondering if we are looking at the same 2017 DSR  :)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:28:08 PM »

I used 2 digiNow superchargers (6.6kW) on my trip from NH to NJ last summer riding a 2016 Zero SR.  Now I have 3 Superchargers and plan to mount them for travel this summer.  You just use a J1772 plug for 2 Superchargers and another J1772 plug for the other Supercharger.  That would give you as much juice as it can take. 

Last summer I also used 2 Elcon chargers so my bike could use 2 charging stations at the same time. 

Video of using them:
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »

> You won't lose the onboard (overnight) charger in any case...

That's what I thought, but then I saw William Morgen's setup.  It's diginow's first end-user install in place of the original charger, and it's pretty professional looking.  Three bricks in the pan, at the cost of maybe 3/4" of clearance.  Also there's the doctorbass replacement plate solution, which closes it up even better.  Two or three where the original charger is looks like it works fine. 

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 01:18:57 AM »

Two diginows fit in topcase very nicely.  With this you can have powertank, and fast charging.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:21:18 AM by dukecola »

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 01:25:05 AM »

I haven't been on the site in a few months. Are those Diginows still running about $1500 for the US version?

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 02:25:49 AM »

That's what I thought, but then I saw William Morgen's setup.  It's diginow's first end-user install in place of the original charger, and it's pretty professional looking.  Three bricks in the pan, at the cost of maybe 3/4" of clearance.  Also there's the doctorbass replacement plate solution, which closes it up even better.  Two or three where the original charger is looks like it works fine.

I'm aware of those solutions, and the fact that the Diginow will run on 115VAC. I should have said that you don't HAVE to lose the factory solution if you want to keep it. I did, since it's the one I use 95% of the time, and it keeps me from having to build and use an adapter to run the Diginow on 115VAC.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 04:26:48 AM »

Two diginows fit in topcase very nicely.  With this you can have powertank, and fast charging.

photobucket link broken.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »

I contacted Hollywood Electrics and they no longer carry the Diginows. I've tried contacting Diginow directly and have not hear back from them. Anyone else know how to purchase one?

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 07:54:30 AM »

Go to the Diginow facebook page and check out my new 9.9kw belly pan charging system. Brandon is the guy you want to contact for your own system.

"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 10:26:27 AM »

I contacted Hollywood Electrics and they no longer carry the Diginows. I've tried contacting Diginow directly and have not hear back from them. Anyone else know how to purchase one?
New contact info: https://www.facebook.com/digiNowInc/posts/1599934206793265?notif_id=1523584025669898&notif_t=notify_me_page&ref=notif
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 10:25:24 PM »

I got a different product from Diginow about a month ago.
Lets just say Bradon isn't a slave to Email, but he will get to it.  :)

Snow4us

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 04:37:37 AM »

I was under the impression that to install 2 diginow chargers you will need the charge tank plastic.  Is that not correct?  Fyi the photobucket link is broken.
Pages: [1] 2