• May 09, 2024, 08:19:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Custom Eltek Quad charger 8500W  (Read 3825 times)

wijnand71

• View Profile
Custom Eltek Quad charger 8500W
« on: February 27, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »

Hi all,

Just becourse I can put my hands on another 8 of these power hungry, super small, high efficiency FlatPacks I want to investigate if I can make two European Zero owners very happy with another set of my custom build FlatPack based Quad Super Chargers solution.

Are you traveling long distances and want to recharge fast? Than this is probably an affordable charging solution €/w.

I build several of these config's last year and customers are very happy with it still. A few in Holland and a few in Germany right now.

The chargers are fully operational and tested when delivered. They will come with a 3 Phase Type-2 plug, a brown Anderson plug and a C13 cable for the onboard.

Phase's:
Ph1: Onboard
Ph2: 2 x FP1800 48V
Ph3: 2 x FP1800 48V

Total power 1300 + 7200 = 8500W  8)

Dimensions are (hxbxd) 9,3x14,5x28cm

Price is €2500 incl. shipping in Europe, invoices are possible.

Power draw is more than 16A on each phase, so 22kW chargingstations like the one's at FastNed are a must. If you try a 11kW station, it will disconnect after 20 sec's..

Please mail me if you are interested or have questions.

Pics are attached..

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Re: Custom Eltek Quad charger 8500W
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:06:33 PM »

Is’nt it more or less the same solution as evtricity’s charger ?
If so, it’s fast and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »

Received one today. First impressions are good and we managed to create a workaround so you can still use 11kW stations.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 01:08:39 AM »

Like EVTricity's charger, it may be fast, lightweight, and simple, but these chargers are not rated or engineered for vehicle travel, which means you have a non-negligible chance of equipment failure or current spike into or out of your Zero's systems.

Both EVTricity and wijnand71 provide enclosures, but I have not seen any proof of vibration damping that is engineered to minimize stress and risk of failure on this equipment, and there's no indication of dust or moisture protection.

It's fine to buy these chargers as stationary (in-garage) equipment, but taking these with you regularly on rides is risky and I don't think it's a good buy unless you're already proficient in handling power electronics.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 01:44:58 AM »

Hmmmm. That's an interesting statement.

I used to have 2 elteks in the topcase, when I had a crash 3 months ago due to a car leaving suddenly a parking slot. So the bike fell on the side, me too, and the elteks must have been hit quite a lot. Later, after the bike and the rider being repaired, I tested the Elteks. Still OK so far. Hope they will last...
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 02:54:42 AM »

I used to have 2 elteks in the topcase, when I had a crash 3 months ago due to a car leaving suddenly a parking slot. So the bike fell on the side, me too, and the elteks must have been hit quite a lot. Later, after the bike and the rider being repaired, I tested the Elteks. Still OK so far. Hope they will last...

After a spill like that, I would open the case of the units and double-check that all of the caps, coils and other heavy parts are still 'glued' down with the silicone adhesive... What can happen is the flex and tear loose from the hit. They still look connected because the stuff is around them, but they're no longer adhered. So small vibration over time will make it break a couple thousand miles down the road. If it's loose glue it down and if it doesn't look like it's glued down enough, just glue it more... Lol

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 03:29:53 AM »

After a spill like that, I would open the case of the units and double-check that all of the caps, coils and other heavy parts are still 'glued' down with the silicone adhesive... What can happen is the flex and tear loose from the hit. They still look connected because the stuff is around them, but they're no longer adhered. So small vibration over time will make it break a couple thousand miles down the road. If it's loose glue it down and if it doesn't look like it's glued down enough, just glue it more... Lol

Is there a "potting guide for dummies" that you think might work for people who want to do this?

I've created a placeholder on the wiki for now:
https://zeromanual.com/index.php/Potting
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 02:19:52 AM »

Meanwhile both Quad packs are sold to happy Zero riders. One is sltill living in Holland and one has gone abroad to Zwitserland. Thanks everyone for the interest you showed, questions asked and pm's!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:28:06 AM by wijnand71 »

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 03:01:06 AM »

Meanwhile both Quad packs are sold to happy Zero riders. One is sltill living in Holland and one has gone abroad to Zwitserland. Thanks everyone for the interest you showed, questions asked and pm's!
*Internal screaming*, Holland is only 2 out of 12 provinces :o

But pet peeves aside, Saturday I'll be testing my charger on a 800km trip:

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 03:16:41 AM »

True, and you’re living in one of these 2  ;D

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 08:58:58 PM »

How are the Fastneds? Did you have a good trip?

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 12:05:55 PM »

Wonderful! The trip went very well, after that I've done 300-500km trips almost every weekend.

You can see a short recap of the trip here:

I'm now away from home for a few weeks but a +1000km day is already in the works.

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »

Received one today. First impressions are good and we managed to create a workaround so you can still use 11kW stations.

What workarround in detail is that?
  • 200km with one charge (was too easy)
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 500km in a day (550+km)
  • 600km in a day
    driven in [5] out of 6 nearby countries

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »

If you have a 3 phase station, one phase is used to provide an output for the onboard. The other phases have two Elteks on them, and they draw 3,6kW per phase at full power.

A 11kW station is 16A per phase so you're edging that at full power. A lot of them can handle it but some some trip the breakers after a while. We came up with a switch that powers off half the Elteks and puts one on each phase.

You lose a bit of charging power but  you're still charging around 5kW. That's an extra cup off coffee or if you do want full power with 10 minutes you should have enough juice to get to a 22kW station.

nedfunnell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 08:34:47 AM »

Do you know if the Elteks would run off of DC input? I have found that some supplies will, and some won't. My Meanwells are happy to take DC, and some server power supplies I tested do, one type didn't. If you rectified the 3ph power to DC, and the DC voltage wasn't too high (should be about 400v, right?) then maybe you could run everything off of an 11kW station reliably.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the Zero onboard charger has been tested on 200VDC input.
Pages: [1] 2