• April 24, 2024, 08:13:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Side bags  (Read 1373 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Side bags
« on: February 13, 2018, 03:40:36 AM »

I've looked a bit around for 3th party panniers because the standard Givi ones are a bit meh. Problem are the racks, I can order a decent kit of panniers and fit it to the existing rack, which can be potentially costly.
Then I realised that side bags do exist and are much more universal because you can hang them on the seat. Does somebody have experience with large side bags?

TheGap

• View Profile
Re: Side bags
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:46:54 AM »

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 04:14:25 AM »

Yes but much larger, like 24l per bag.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »

Not first hand experience as Zero *still* hasn't shipped the moto they promised last month, but I've looked into it a bit and can add to some info: Because there is no hot silencer to deal with, zero riders have soft luggage options without a rack that ICE motos don't have. Soft panniers are not as secure as locked hard cases, but can be locked and locked to the moto. The main pluses are lighter, cheaper and safer for the rider than hard cases.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:54:27 AM by heroto »

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:47:39 PM »

+1 on the soft luggage option:
~cheaper
~adustable
~much, MUCH cheaper if you have a tipover
~easily removed and brought into your hotelroom at night

36 liters enough for you? You can probably try it on at a motorcycle dealership or Cyclegear before buying.
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

brose

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »

I have the Zero soft bags. They work great for daily commuting since I can quickly take the bags off and bring them in with me. You really want to be careful not to overload them with too much weight, otherwise they can get holes from rubbing against the back wheel.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:09:33 PM »

I have the Zero soft bags. They work great for daily commuting since I can quickly take the bags off and bring them in with me. You really want to be careful not to overload them with too much weight, otherwise they can get holes from rubbing against the back wheel.

I too prefer soft panniers for all the usual reasons, such as being cheaper, much lighter, they can easily be moved to another motorcycle that you may already own or will buy in the future, and if you fall over, they protect the rear of the bike against damage.  But, as mentioned, they need to be fastened to your bike so that they will not swing into the wheel.  Ideally, installing some sort of wire mounting system such as used to support hard bags and then use it to support soft luggage is the way to go.

Those Cortech bags look like a good option for anyone wanting soft luggage.  I have found that they make quality luggage at a decent price.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:36:37 PM »

look, it's price reduced, you save $103!  and it's "carbon fiber color".

: - )
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 01:42:50 AM »

I also have the soft bags I linked in the second post of this thread. I only use them when I need the additional storage (not often) but I have the same experience as brose.
If you don't have a rack, try to tie them as high as possible because they tend to lean inwards when loaded.

On a zero you can get a little more security on the bags (read: against stealing the bags themselves, not talking about the content) since you can place one or both of the Velcro straps (that should go over the saddle) under the saddle. Trust me when I say that it's a bitch to try and remove them when you don't have the tools at hand to remove the saddle also.
... A moot pointy of course if you want the bags to be easily removable.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 03:36:17 AM »

Hmm bags seem to be a dark horse in the cargo competition after all. In ten days there is a large motorshow here, I might just go and see what is available these days.

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:10 AM »

here you go, I made my own custom racking and saddlebags for $100 if you minus the cost of the tools I had to buy to make it, but I've used those tools for other projects too so its all good. I suggest giving it a go because you can make something you truly want, instead of buying cheaply made crap.

UW4E

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »

I just bought these bags. To avoid them hanging too close to the wheel, I will fix a pole as a space. I will show pictures when it's done.
With an electric motorcycle to Iceland - June 2018:
http://www.uw4e.de

Zero S 2015 - 41,000 km / 25,800 miles since July 2016 (Status Nov '18)

Schwabe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:36 PM »

For my 2 2500w elcon chargers i needed a case (Peli 1550) and a rack.
So i welded a rack. It is made from steeltube 15x1,2mm, sandblastet and coated with liquid zinc.
It was vervy important for me that the rack is supportet as good as possible (to the footrest) to make it "strong as a rock".
The supporting tube also prevents the bags from the wheel.
The sidebags i use are made by Ortlieb (https://www.ortlieb.com/en/) . They are 100% waterproof. This is the bicycle-line.
Ortlieb also manufactures for Touratech (https://shop.touratech.de/travel-equipment/luggage.html#/products/1?category=30770) . This is the motorbike-line.
For the bags you get hooks which fit from 8mm till 20mm tubes.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:55:14 PM by Schwabe »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 09:26:13 PM »

YES YES YES
That foot peg is an overlooked mounting point.  I think your setup is about as good as any factory could come up with.
Pages: [1] 2