• April 26, 2024, 09:43:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Garage build  (Read 2707 times)

Ted Dillard

• View Profile
    • Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
Garage build
« on: February 12, 2018, 03:55:56 AM »

Yeah, so this is why I love (hate) this subject title.  Here's what some guy (Dice) built in his garage. 

You guys who walk into a dealer and buy a bike, and think you know all that shit?  Think again.
#builtnotbought
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:58:01 AM by Ted Dillard »
Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles

http://www.powerinflux.com

ultratoad

• View Profile
Re: Garage build
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:20:14 AM »

Guy has way to many skills !!!!

Ted Dillard

• View Profile
    • Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:35:07 PM »

Seriously.  As nice a guy as you'd ever care to meet, too.  Totally self-funded, and he's kicking everybody's ass. 

Sorry for the "tone", but over the years we've been called tinkerers, garage- home- shade-tree builders, whatever.  It annoys the b'jeeses outta me.  I know a handful of guys personally who've built some of the most badass machines out there, and to call them "home brew" doesn't show them any respect.  Add that to the fact that some of them get on here and are criticized and "corrected" by guys who haven't built or designed anything, ever, and yeah, it's a raw nerve.  Hell, when the Livewire was going around, my own bike could beat it on speed, acceleration, and range, yet I still get that it's a "home brew" and I'm a "shade-tree mechanic".

"Custom Builds", "One-Off Customs", or something similar would be a vast improvement to the heading, IMO.   ::)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:30:38 PM by Ted Dillard »
Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles

http://www.powerinflux.com

MJSfoto1956

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 06:59:29 PM »

as an FYI, the word "amateur" derives from the Latin meaning "one who loves what they do". In other words, I'll trust a dedicated amateur over a "pro" any day. YMMV.

ZeroRider52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 03:40:19 AM »

My  uncle Will was an "amateur" who made his own "home brew" in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest.  His art form was so precisely honed that his home brew would have been welcome at any drag race track in America.  I can tell you he was a superstar in Willamina, Oregon!

A home brew motorcycle, while admittedly a demonstration of the skill and dedication (or lack thereof) of the builder, will almost always be purpose built, honed for one rider and one task, and it will very often be far more innovative and better quality then anything presented by a vendor who is trying to mass produce machines to attract a wide variety of riders.

My hat is off to the home brew motorcycle builders.  I think the title is a badge of dedication and honor.  I wish I had the patience to be one.

So yup, I'm a wimp.  I bought a Zero DSR 14.4.  Love it, and I'm already looking for ways to improve it for my particular purpose!
Dance like nobody's watching, ride like your hair's on fire!

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:22:40 AM »

High Voltage Garage, what a cool show.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Badness

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 02:23:14 PM »

Respect !
Pages: [1]