• April 24, 2024, 09:41:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Harley Davidson announces upcoming electric motorcycle  (Read 1365 times)

Ashveratu

• View Profile
Re: Harley Davidson announces upcoming electric motorcycle
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:26 AM »

It better have DC fast charger as well. I am considering holding off on buying an Energica to see what Harleys bike has to offer. My Empulse should be able to keep me satified till then....maybe.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 04:16:53 AM »

For them to compete, they had better start with a minimum of 18 kWh battery pack – with at least the same specs as the Zero SR, and with the mass production capability of the larger company – the price should also be less than the Zero bikes.  Otherwise, who would buy one?   

You know that Harley has not traditionally catered to the budget-minded motorcycle consumer, right? They are one of the most expensive brands available today, and that's before the dealership price-gouging.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Pixels are a poor conveyor of sarcasm.
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 04:42:50 AM »

For them to compete, they had better start with a minimum of 18 kWh battery pack – with at least the same specs as the Zero SR, and with the mass production capability of the larger company – the price should also be less than the Zero bikes.  Otherwise, who would buy one?   

You know that Harley has not traditionally catered to the budget-minded motorcycle consumer, right? They are one of the most expensive brands available today, and that's before the dealership price-gouging.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Pixels are a poor conveyor of sarcasm.

Especially when they say that their new electric motorcycle will be an uncompromising premium product.   :o  My money is on at least a $30K MSRP.  However, when it comes to making a premium electric motorcycle, they are going to have a tough time beating Energica.  ;)
(We won't talk about Lightning as that bike appears to be vaporware when it comes to production and retail marketing.  :( )
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 05:05:42 AM »

Leave it to Harley that the first thing they think of for their electric motorcycle is to trademark the name of their new power train:   ;)
http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/harley-davidson-trademarks-h-d-revelation-for-its-electric-powertrain.html
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 08:11:20 PM »

Here's a Yahoo business article on the Livewire project.  There are a few graphs, one of which tries to show that female ownership has gone up (to a whopping 14%) so better spend millions to redesign for women.  Anyway thought I'd post it even though it has such lazy writing it claims you can pick up a Zero SR for $10k.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/harley-davidson-ev-debut-could-113001093.html

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 09:18:44 PM »

Here's a Yahoo business article on the Livewire project.  There are a few graphs, one of which tries to show that female ownership has gone up (to a whopping 14%) so better spend millions to redesign for women.  Anyway thought I'd post it even though it has such lazy writing it claims you can pick up a Zero SR for $10k.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/harley-davidson-ev-debut-could-113001093.html

That article also says that H-D will introduce their electric motorcycle in 2019.  I think it should have said that they claim that they will introduce that bike by then. Also, the specifications for the Live Wire provided in the article of 74 horsepower, a 93 mph top speed, 50 mile ride time, seem inflated compared with other reports that I have read. I hope Jack Bright of TechCrunch didn't spend too much of his valuable time researching his sources for that article.  ::)

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »

Perhaps folks here do not deal in European motorcycles under 500cc.  There was quite a fuss a few years ago, and may well under consideration to add a big tarrif on European union bikes under 500cc basically over them not liking to take our ag products.  I think it might involve gmo stuff but it is probably pretty safe to say small farms are kind of protected in Europe.  Now there is new talk of the eu adding tariff to Hd bikes because they might get accused of dumping steel and aluminum over here.  There might be a good chance the tariff on Hd would be worded in terms of engine displacement so electric would be exempt.  Just a different way of looking at things.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 02:51:22 AM »

Perhaps folks here do not deal in European motorcycles under 500cc.  There was quite a fuss a few years ago, and may well under consideration to add a big tarrif on European union bikes under 500cc basically over them not liking to take our ag products.  I think it might involve gmo stuff but it is probably pretty safe to say small farms are kind of protected in Europe.  Now there is new talk of the eu adding tariff to Hd bikes because they might get accused of dumping steel and aluminum over here.  There might be a good chance the tariff on Hd would be worded in terms of engine displacement so electric would be exempt.  Just a different way of looking at things.

The last I heard, a few months ago, the beef beef was still on with imported motorcycles from the EU still being used as a tariff lever.  What a bunch of jerks.   >:(
Pages: 1 [2]