• April 26, 2024, 01:45:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero 2018SR vs. 2017 Honda Fireblade  (Read 2363 times)

TheGap

• View Profile
Re: Zero 2018SR vs. 2017 Honda Fireblade
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 09:47:14 PM »

It's already been used for great camera work!

Which is excellent ... but this example has two drawbacks:
- no one will know except those interested in the 'behind the scenes' (... and the film cast & crew)
- as they said themselves, an electric bike is used here for their lack of vibration. It doesn't promote any of the strengths of a good electric bike (performance, range, charge time, ...)

In public (sports) events you can have a much higher visibility to a much wider public.
As many of us have noticed, an electric bike is still very good at turning heads. If you can then also show off with its real world usages and perhaps get (or buy) some media attention ... you're golden.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 12:44:35 AM »

To me, lack of vibration is a major strength of electrics. My Zero may be the first motorcycle I've ever owned that doesn't make my hands numb.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 02:27:30 AM »

To me, lack of vibration is a major strength of electrics. My Zero may be the first motorcycle I've ever owned that doesn't make my hands numb.
Yeah, that's also one of my observations.

I've read somewhere that the no vibration thing is also one of the upsides of riding a Boss Hoss.
(A quick google search gave this from Wikipedia: "Boss Hoss bikes and trikes are noted not only for their enormous power and size but also for their low vibration")

But with comparing a Zero with a Boss Hoss, I doubt you can get any further on the opposite sides of the spectrum ... unless you leave the motorcycle category.  ;D

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 03:37:52 AM »

Yeah, that's also one of my observations.

I've read somewhere that the no vibration thing is also one of the upsides of riding a Boss Hoss.
(A quick google search gave this from Wikipedia: "Boss Hoss bikes and trikes are noted not only for their enormous power and size but also for their low vibration")

But with comparing a Zero with a Boss Hoss, I doubt you can get any further on the opposite sides of the spectrum ... unless you leave the motorcycle category.  ;D
Having ridden one, it IS surprisingly smooth for what it is, however they can also be so loud that it doesnt matter anyway.

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 04:39:16 AM »

[...] however they can also be so loud that it doesnt matter anyway.
That and the amount of dinojuice it requires to function are but two of the reasons why it's on the opposite side of the spectrum compared to a Zero  :)

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »

Bonk, are u sure??

After owning a GSX-R750 4 years and 2 Fireblades (2 years each) i can tell you that i had lots of fun.
Sometimes.

The thing is that on public roads, you can't do what a blade or similar bike is capable of.
That got me frustrated sometimes, but on the other hand i did not want to lose my drivers license or my life. So I did a few days on the track in 4 years time. But over here in the Netherlands that is an expensive hobby.
So when i turned big 4 0  I sold the last one and killed the little boy inside me (constantly wanting something new) and bought a VFR1200 you are very familiar with.

A Blade on public roads maintaining legal speeds will crap your wrists after one hour because your torso is not receiving enough air resistance to lift the weight from your arms. Furthermore, keeping it in second gear will result in very annoying high revving behavior (like on/off throttle) moving your ass back and forth or cramping your already molested wrist with the clutch. It's nothing like the smoothness of a Zero. You are not 25 any more.

You'll end up selling the blade within 2 years. Huge depreciation/wanting something new/not to mention the wife maybe ordering your coffin (you WILL try out the blade anyway, and top end is twice as fast as a Zero)
I nearly killed myself 3 times. All where my own faults.

I think you can experience more fun with a motorcycle that's got useable potential. Besides, you already know how to corner.
So think harder.

(sorry for me being 'direct')

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:53:20 AM by buutvrij for life »
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »

Another option is to simply find a friend with a Fireblade and offer to swap bikes for a few miles. Most riders would probably jump at the change to take your Zero for a spin.
I always learn something when I swap bikes with friends, even if it's just that my friends have terrible taste in bikes and don't make an effort to maintain them.

When my BMW was being serviced last month, they let me take out their S1000RR. I was pretty impressed that the thing redlined at 16K, but after 4 miles, I turned around and headed back to the dealership. It was loud, buzzy, and didn't have any midrange at all--the reason it revs to 16K is because the power doesn't even come on noticeably until 8K.
You might ride one of the new Fireblades and that will be all you need to get it out of your system.

Also, don't waste time reading motorcycle magazines--they only make the pining worse.
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 02:35:47 AM »

Bonk, are u sure??

After owning a GSX-R750 4 years and 2 Fireblades (2 years each) i can tell you that i had lots of fun.
Sometimes.

The thing is that on public roads, you can't do what a blade or similar bike is capable of.
That got me frustrated sometimes, but on the other hand i did not want to lose my drivers license or my life. So I did a few days on the track in 4 years time. But over here in the Netherlands that is an expensive hobby.
So when i turned big 4 0  I sold the last one and killed the little boy inside me (constantly wanting something new) and bought a VFR1200 you are very familiar with.

A Blade on public roads maintaining legal speeds will crap your wrists after one hour because your torso is not receiving enough air resistance to lift the weight from your arms. Furthermore, keeping it in second gear will result in very annoying high revving behavior (like on/off throttle) moving your ass back and forth or cramping your already molested wrist with the clutch. It's nothing like the smoothness of a Zero. You are not 25 any more.

You'll end up selling the blade within 2 years. Huge depreciation/wanting something new/not to mention the wife maybe ordering your coffin (you WILL try out the blade anyway, and top end is twice as fast as a Zero)
I nearly killed myself 3 times. All where my own faults.

I think you can experience more fun with a motorcycle that's got useable potential. Besides, you already know how to corner.
So think harder.

(sorry for me being 'direct')

I appreciate you being direct and I'm impressed that you remember me having a VFR 1200!

Jason at Streetbike got back to me about how I might be able to save some money by purchasing a bike through my limited company.  It got me thinking again.  I guess an SR will corner well enough for my abilities.  I'd definitely chop in my 2014DS too, so I'd only have one bike to maintain.  I'd get more out of it because I'd be riding it to work every day. Hmm... thinking harder!  :-)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 02:45:38 AM »

Another option is to simply find a friend with a Fireblade and offer to swap bikes for a few miles. Most riders would probably jump at the change to take your Zero for a spin.
I always learn something when I swap bikes with friends, even if it's just that my friends have terrible taste in bikes and don't make an effort to maintain them.

When my BMW was being serviced last month, they let me take out their S1000RR. I was pretty impressed that the thing redlined at 16K, but after 4 miles, I turned around and headed back to the dealership. It was loud, buzzy, and didn't have any midrange at all--the reason it revs to 16K is because the power doesn't even come on noticeably until 8K.
You might ride one of the new Fireblades and that will be all you need to get it out of your system.

Also, don't waste time reading motorcycle magazines--they only make the pining worse.

Also good advice, thanks!

A lot of this is down to my recent bad experiences charging my Kia Soul EV.  It has just made me feel like turning my back on EVs until the infrastructure is much better. Life is too short and all that...  Putting a Superbike to one side, I'd have real trouble going back to a traditional ICE bike.  Overall, I'm very happy with my Zero and I absolutely love riding it.  I just wish I could fill it up as conveniently.  I shall keep you all posted!

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 04:41:59 AM »

I know the feeling of lacking convenience concerning high mileage days.
As a result my NC750 X is doing fine. I needed the range for my commute (new job) and is my only transportation. I regret selling my DS every day.

The first stop at Shell's felt aweful...

Good luck!
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 07:03:08 AM »

Ack! My SR is the only motorcycle I've owned that *does* make my hands numb. Disclaimer: think I've only owned a half dozen bikes in my life.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »

Ack! My SR is the only motorcycle I've owned that *does* make my hands numb. Disclaimer: think I've only owned a half dozen bikes in my life.

Then you're doing something wrong.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 08:58:11 PM »

Everybody's body is built a little bit differently, and it's not possible for one design to satisfy everybody. A few people can't stand the Corbin seat, most people (like me) love it. That doesn't mean anybody's wrong, it just means it doesn't work for everyone.

My guess is your numb hands is related to positioning or angle of your wrists, as opposed to vibration. I replaced my grips with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPGQ828/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , which I see are no longer available, but which make me much more comfortable on the bike. I like the softer rubber combined with the hard billet aluminum, but mainly I prefer a larger-diameter grip than the stock ones.

You might want to take a look at the bikes you're comfortable on, and see if you can find a replacement handlebar that closely duplicates that position. It's short money if it makes the bike work better for you.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »

Since I have a keyboard in front of me now, I will elaborate...

Everything you touch when riding, the position of the controls, the width, height and angle of the bars, the seat shape, the seat height, seat firmness, the grip of the plastics for your knees, the height/setback/width of the pegs, etc...  are all adjustable.

now the #1 reason for numb hands is deathgrip on the bars. if you are squeezing the bars at all, or if you're using them to hold you on the bike you're riding it wrong. You should be relaxed with a very light grip on the bars, and hold yourself up by your core and lower body.. not the bars. this alone is the issue for most people.

that said, we're all not the same, and maybe its just the wrong angle for you, or you have pinched nerves, or maybe just a specific back muscle gets tight.  whatever the case may be, the key is to first identify the problem... THEN solve it...  it may mean you have to move the bike to fit you, or it might require you to learn a different riding technique. If you can identify what you want to change, this forum is full of helpful and thoughtful people that will help you find some way to fix your issue.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 12:44:40 AM »

How I resolved numb hands / sore back:
Rox Speed FX 2-in risers
Koso Apollo heated grips
Cramp Buster
Pages: 1 [2]