• April 25, 2024, 05:52:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: parts and pieces  (Read 1156 times)

droidish

• View Profile
parts and pieces
« on: January 28, 2018, 10:01:54 AM »

Last summer I emailed Pyramid Plastics in the UK. They make huggers, fender extensions and other accessories for many brands (not Zero). I have their stuff on my VFR and Ducati, and I am happy with the quality. I asked if they had looked at Zero, taken measurements, or had plans to introduce any products for Zero models. I got no reply.

So I'll try a different angle starting here. I'm wondering if the Showa forks on my SR are unique to Zero, or a design common to say a Japanese model or two. Is there maybe a UJM with the same forks, and by extension the same fender? If so I could buy the Pyramid Plastics parts for that model.

Put succinctly: Does anyone here know if the forks and fender are unique to my SR?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:39:56 AM by droidish »
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: parts and pieces
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 08:30:30 PM »

Last summer I emailed Pyramid Plastics in the UK. They make huggers, fender extensions and other accessories for many brands (not Zero). I have their stuff on my VFR and Ducati, and I am happy with the quality. I asked if they had looked at Zero, taken measurements, or had plans to introduce any products for Zero models. I got no reply.

So I'll try a different angle starting here. I'm wondering if the Showa forks on my SR are unique to Zero, or a design common to say a Japanese model or two. Is there maybe a UJM with the same forks, and by extension the same fender? If so I could buy the Pyramid Plastics parts for that model.

Put succinctly: Does anyone here know if the forks and fender are unique to my SR?

I don't know about the fender, but I am pretty sure that the Showa forks and rear shock are off-the-shelf items with springs and valving that were developed by Zero. I really doubt that Zero would pay Showa to have them design, develop and manufacture a new set of forks just for their limited application. It seems like a lot of new Japanese motorcycles are using 42mm male-slider forks.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 02:24:28 AM »

... I am pretty sure that the Showa forks and rear shock are off-the-shelf items with springs and valving that were developed by Zero. I really doubt that Zero would pay Showa to have them design, develop and manufacture a new set of forks just for their limited application...

My thinking exactly. If I could figure out who else uses that fork, I may be able to find a front fender with better coverage and even a Pyramid Plastics Extenda Fenda.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 03:02:13 AM »

Sorry I have nothing to contribute, but I will be watching this thread as I'm eager a larger spoiler with more coverage, and possibly also front fender. Good luck and keep us abreast!
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:31:06 AM »

... I'm eager a larger spoiler with more coverage, and possibly also front fender...

Speaking of more coverage, I see you have an F800GT. That is a great bike with fantastic belt protection, it must be quite a contrast compared to the poor belt protection on the Zero.  ::)
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »

These are all good ideas. I’ve tried some Pyramid fitments from a local shop to no avail.

I think it won’t take too much detective work to find one, though.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »

Walt at Airtech told me they could certainly make one to fit my FX, and probably already have one, just need measurements. Most of their standard glass fenders go for $60-$90.
Clay
DoD #2160,6

wagz50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 12:27:36 AM »

I put a Cycra universal front fender on my DSR.
I didn't like the way the stock fender flops around in the wind.
Had to drill my own mounting holes but it fits between the forks no problem.

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 12:39:17 AM »

... I will be watching this thread as I'm eager a larger spoiler with more coverage, and possibly also front fender. Good luck and keep us abreast!

I got impatient trying to find a ready made solution to the lack of fender coverage on my SR, so I cobbled together a solution of my own. I bought some old school, generic plastic fenders, cut them to length, and attached with screws.

These extensions aren't pretty, but I choose function over form here. It will be nice not having crap thrown onto the plastic front cover, motor controller, shock, and motor.

I'm still trying to sort out some additional belt protection.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

SebfromBE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »

Hi Droidish,

These extra fenders looks really nice! I would like to try to replicate your solution (Rain has clearly a tendency to dirty all the engine/shock and seat!).

Which fender did you buy? Do you have any reference? Should I just look to any format  or what?

Especially for the rear-wheel: I believe the extended fender then runs quite close to the wheel. Do you see any issue with the fender touching the wheel while riding? Are the screws enough to old it real tight? Don't hesitate to share more close up photos! That will help making this a real solution for all of us!

(I indeed don't believe a real aftermarket will come any time soon...)

Cheers,

Seb

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 04:15:33 AM »

... Which fender did you buy?...

... Especially for the rear-wheel: I believe the extended fender then runs quite close to the wheel. Do you see any issue with the fender touching the wheel while riding?

... Are the screws enough to old it real tight?...

... Don't hesitate to share more close up photos! ...

Front fender is here: http://www.speedandsport.com/index.php/parts/fenders/front-fender-universal-plastic/
Rear fender is here: http://www.speedandsport.com/index.php/parts/fenders/rear-fender-universal-plastic/

I don't see the fender touching the tire, front or rear, while riding. I was more concerned with the rear fender contacting the license plate support when the suspension is fully compressed. I am confident this won't happen though, as I've "built in" adequate clearance.

The plastic fenders are light, and I believe the screws are more than adequate to secure them. Double sided foam tape or adhesive could be used in addition if needed.

These two photos are as close up as I have.   :)
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

SebfromBE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »

Hi,

Thanks a lot! You answers and extra photos makes it perfectly understandable how you did! Seriously, thanks for sharing your work. It will make my build much easier.

I'll share back the results once completed!

Cheers,

Seb
Pages: [1]