• April 26, 2024, 11:09:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Battery pack life  (Read 2082 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Battery pack life
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 10:19:41 PM »

...it shows 11.6kWh at 100% SOC...I lost 4%. This does not reflect in range btw, can still do about the same miles per charge...

I think you answered your own question there. Battery "state of charge" is more art than science, and it's an art that Zero doesn't seem particularly good at. Total capacity is related; it's also just an educated guess based on things like "coulomb counting" during charging and discharging, cell voltage, temperature, battery age, instantaneous load, etc.

In the real world, the exact number for battery capacity is irrelevant anyhow, it's ultimately range that matters to the rider.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 05:01:59 AM »

Next time you look into this, try to get the actual voltages, not just the SoC, they are a useful sanity check. You can hook up a physical device, pull the logs with the app, or use the Zero Voltage app from Bitshape ($5 in the Android Google Play app store).

The voltage of my 2014 bike was 117 volts when new.  Now it is 113 volts when it first stops charging and then creeps up to 115 volts if left plugged in for more than 5 days.

My 2018 S shows 116 volts when fully charged and I note that its regen does not "pulsate" any more (like the 2014 bike did) for the first mile of riding when activated.

Then you have a charger problem. The voltage of the bike on the charger and at full charge is not dependent upon the battery, but is set by the charger.

I wonder if Zero had the charger reprogrammed for some reason?  Perhaps to extend its life, or the life of the battery pack?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »

My 2015 SR (with PT) has about 30,000 25,000 miles on it....

I got the bike back yesterday, after about 9 weeks at the dealer.  (Jan 6 - Mar 14).  Ultimately, they replaced both the monolith and the power tank. It took ages because when they order a battery pack from Zero, it has to be built, so I guess it takes two to three weeks from placing the order to having it arrive.  Further, they didn't decide the PT needed to be replaced until after the new monolith was installed.  Add in some crap weather back in January which delayed them even having a chance to start testing it out properly...  Cest la vie. 

Fortunately, the Zero is not my only ride. And, Good grief!, this thing has spent a lot of time at the dealer in my ownership of it!  I think 4-5 months out of 38 months.

[knock on wood] I've only ridden it once since getting it back - about 48 miles, getting it home from the dealer plus a bit of detouring.  It went from 99% to 57% SOC over that time.  About 20 miles was interstate (I kept it around 70MPH), and about 20 was two lane highway (60-65 MPH), with the rest being slow stuff.  So, not as demanding as my normal commute, but still, I'm pretty happy with that outcome.  Generally, in my commute, I think I'm doing well to cover 50 miles and have more than 40% showing! My commute has a round trip total of about 40 miles of interstate HOV (70-80 MPH), plus 10 of slow stuff.

Fingers crossed!
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX
Pages: 1 [2]