• March 29, 2024, 02:14:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Winter Storage battery level  (Read 820 times)

macstructures

• View Profile
Winter Storage battery level
« on: January 21, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »

HI,

I have a 2016 DSR, and this is my first winter with a Zero. It is in the garage, it is not heated, and like most of the US temperatures are lower than previous years.

I rode the motorcycle a month ago... but now with snow and ice is not an option... for me.  :)

My question is regarding storage, I charged it to 100% last time that I rode it, and yesterday turn it on and it still shows 100%. I searched the forum and web and some members recommend to storage it at 60% to 70% capacity and unplugged.

Why 60% to 70%?
Should I try to ride it and lower the battery to the suggested level?

Thanks.
Zero: 2016 DSR
HD: Rocker C 08 / Sportster 1200L 09

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Winter Storage battery level
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:45:58 AM »

If you think it will sit for a few months then yeah.  A week or so I wouldn't worry.
The full charge over long periods stresses the cells.  The cold at full charge stresses them more.  Like tightening a belt after a thanksgiving meal.  :)

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »

I also downloaded the BMSO logs a couple of days ago. Any specific info that I need to look for regarding damage to the battery for being exposed to low temperatures for a month? So far it is still showing 100%.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 12:05:53 PM »

It's not like running a car without oil.
Zero just came out with this recommendation about a year ago and it's for optimum long full battery life.
One warmer day go for little ride if you can.  Eighty percent is fine.  We're half through winter anyway.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:14:24 AM »

I also downloaded the BMSO logs a couple of days ago. Any specific info that I need to look for regarding damage to the battery for being exposed to low temperatures for a month? So far it is still showing 100%.

There's no way that the logs are going to record "damage". This is a chemical concept that eventually will play out in subtle changes in how the cells behave.

Definitely try to discharge it. Key the bike on and leave the headlamps on or some electrical load on the 12V system for a long time if you must. Technically, the headlamp should discharge a 13.0kWh battery by 30% in 70 hours...
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:31:01 AM »

I'll take it for a short ride tomorrow... its going to be 40-50 degrees for the next 3 days... but still ice and snow all over the roads... then back to 10. thanks.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »

OK.. rode it a couple days ago... now is 78%.

I would like to know if it is good to charge and top off the battery every time I go out for a ride. I been doing it,  but if it is down to 78% and I'm planning on riding for a short time, maybe another 20% to 30%, should I wait until the battery is down to 40% or 30% to top it off? is this bad for the battery?

Just trying to understand why is not a good choice to storage the bike for a long period of time at 100% and if toping it off after every ride is a good practice or not?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:38:32 AM by macstructures »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 09:07:58 PM »

OK.. rode it a couple days ago... now is 78%.

I would like to know if it is good to charge and top off the battery every time I go out for a ride. I been doing it,  but if it is down to 78% and I'm planning on riding for a short time, maybe another 20% to 30%, should I wait until the battery is down to 40% or 30% to top it off? is this bad for the battery?

Just trying to understand why is not a good choice to storage the bike for a long period of time at 100% and if toping it off after every ride is a good practice or not?

That is a good question, which I can not answer.  I keep my battery pack charged to 100% all of the time so that it my Zero is ready to ride every time that I want to do so.  Otherwise, what would be the reason for spending money on the largest battery capacity that I could, if I need to charge it up for several hours before going for a ride.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 04:25:56 AM »

There is a stupefying amount of data on this discussed here http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6878.0

Short answer - less pack degradation if you follow their recommendations.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 04:21:39 AM »

Read it.. thanks. LOTS of good info... but still not sure on "if I should top if off every time that I ride?" most of my rides are short, maybe 20% to 30% round trips... so Should I charge it every other ride? will it help the overall life of the battery and motorcycle?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 04:27:28 AM »

Before you leave you mean? Couldn't hurt.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 05:02:50 AM »

well, Im trying to determine if it is good to top off the battery every time after a ride to 100%? or ride it, lets say to 78%, then don't plug it, ride again down to 60%, don't plug it again... and then ride it down to 30%... then plug it and charge it up to 100% again. Is this better than plug it to 100 % after every ride?

Im new to EVs, I know that laptops count battery cycles as 100% charges ... in the example above does the cycle of the battery counts every time it reaches 100% or it adds up the percentage used per ride until it reaches 100%?

Just trying to learn more about battery charges cycles and extend the life of the battery pack... its winter.. it snowed today 3 inches... so just reading and searching the forum... can't wait for winter to be over and ride again... first winter with a Zero.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 09:14:49 PM »

It's been said many times, by people who would know far better than most of us, but it deserves saying again. Ride your bike, charge it, don't spend your time worrying about partial charges or other silliness to maximize battery life. If you're going to let the bike sit for several months, then it might be worth running some brain cells for a minute or two, but otherwise just ride and charge.

I really wish Zero hadn't come out with that recommendation...if you live in Green Bay and store your bike all winter, it MIGHT give you some extra battery life, but it's causing way more consternation than it deserves for the great majority of us riders.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 05:21:03 AM »

well, Im trying to determine if it is good to top off the battery every time after a ride to 100%? or ride it, lets say to 78%, then don't plug it, ride again down to 60%, don't plug it again... and then ride it down to 30%... then plug it and charge it up to 100% again. Is this better than plug it to 100 % after every ride?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/Cold-and-Hot-Weather-Operation.pdf

30%-60% is optimal for battery longevity, but there's no need to stress over it if you don't plan to run your Zero into the ground.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1]