Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2013+

2017SR or 2016SR?

(1/2) > >>

Neuer_User:
I have my dear 2016SR for about one and half year now. It's been running great. I haven't had any real issue with it, and I have driven so far about 14.000km. I have just replaced the tires a second time, so they are pretty new now.

Now, I got a very good deal on a 2017SR, which was used as a demonstration bike and which my dealer must get rid of (registered for about half a year now). It has run only 23km so far, and is thus in perfect shape, of course.

My question to you, guys, is: What would you do?

a.) keep my good old 2016SR and sell the 2017SR unused in spring for probably about 1000 € profit?
b.) switch to the new 2017SR and sell my 2016SR in spring, probably paying in the end about 1000-1500€ for the upgrade?

In the end that comes down to the question: Take a used 2016SR in great shape or 2000-2500€ more for a brand new 2017SR?

What would you do?

ultrarnr:
Just how sure are you that you are only going to take that small of a hit on trade-in value? Have you asked your dealer how much they will give you on your trade-in? I ask because in the states trade-in value on a Zero is still pretty low. I have a 2016 SR and thought about trading on a 2018. Despite being one of the largest Zero dealers outside California they are still very unsure of the used market for Zero's and are concerned about being able to sell a used Zero. Their trade in values reflect that.

Neuer_User:
I am not 100% sure on what will be the trade-in values, to be honest. I guess that is one of the risks.

Looking at the used zero market prices here, I was guestimating that I could get about the following for the bikes:
2017 SR (<100km): ~15.000-16.000,- CHF (about 13500-14500 €)
2016 SR (14000km): difficult to say... I saw one 2014SR 22000km for 10.000 CHF; -> my guess is about 12000-13000 CHF (about 11000-12000 €)

So, difference would be about 2500 €. Butu this is really pretty risky, as the market is so small that there is no reliable estimate.
It is probably also possible that prices differ depending on the season. I could imagine that prices in spring may be a bit higher than in winter. Are there any experiences with that?

Maybe it is best to stay with the 2016SR and sell the 2017SR. This clearly seems to be the less risky approach.
Or I keep both and advertise both and see who is wanting to take which for the best price?

Anyway, what do you guys think? Would an upgrade make sense at all? Would trhe reduces milage on the new bike have any positive impact (e.g. less servicing costs to be expected)?

If there is no benefit for the upgrade, then I probably better stay on the 2016SR (which I do love very much) and rather sell the 2017SR unused.

KrazyEd:
I have been riding / driving electric vehicles for most of the last decade.
I tell people that they are like VERY expensive iPhones. If you want to get it first, you will pay top dollar. Wait a couple months, you save some,
wait a few more months you save even more. A few months later, or when the next model is due out, you save a LOT more.
There will always be someone that HAS to have the latest greatest. Let THEM pay top dollar. Hopefully there are enough of them to keep the dealers in business.
I picked up my 2016 SR at one year old with 500 miles on it for $10,000 USD. I just picked up a 2017 Volt, a year old for a little over 50% less than it sold for
last year ( and I STILL overpaid ). I doubt that you will be able to sell it for more than a dealer. I also doubt that you will get as much from a dealer as you would get if you sold it yourself.
When looking to buy or sell, I generally check the completed listings on eBay. This will tell you what people were ASKING and what was actually SOLD, and for how much.
It Can be a harsh awakening.

Neuer_User:

--- Quote from: KrazyEd on January 17, 2018, 03:48:40 PM ---I picked up my 2016 SR at one year old with 500 miles on it for $10,000 USD. I just picked up a 2017 Volt, a year old for a little over 50% less than it sold for
last year ( and I STILL overpaid ).

--- End quote ---
Wow, that's an awful high amount of depreciation! What's the new price of a 2016SR in your place? Here it was 17900,- CHF (2018 are at 18900,-). In the US, wasn't it something like $15.999,- USD? That would mean one year old and 500 miles makes a loss of about 30%!!!  :o
And the 2017 Volt lost more than 50% in a year??? Puh, that's also incredible.

In such a case, I guess my 2016SR, which I paid about 17900  CHF 1,5 years ago, should now be worth less than 50%? So maybe 8000 CHF? That would indeed be a shock somewhat....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version