• March 29, 2024, 10:47:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [STOLEN] [RECOVERED] 2013 DS (white plastics)  (Read 1407 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
[STOLEN] [RECOVERED] 2013 DS (white plastics)
« on: January 14, 2018, 06:03:12 AM »

My 2013 DS was stolen while parked at a colleague's apartment in Oakland, CA. They are a designer working on the battery cozy product, which is why I had it on loan.

It has a number of upgrades including the Parabellum windscreen I had an entire thread about, and top and side luggage racks. I do not believe the cases were on when it was last seen.

If someone tries to sell a 2013 Zero DS in the area or part it out or sell the powertrain, please check the last 5 of the VIN: 02720 and contact me. I don't mind providing a finder's fee for this.

Thank you.

UPDATE: It is now RECOVERED by Oakland PD per comments below, after almost one year.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:30:59 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: [STOLEN] 2013 DS (white plastics)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:39:14 AM »

I bet someone will find it on the street once it runs out of power and the thief has no clue what to do next - especially if you didn't have a charging cable on board.

Years ago, my daughter was living in an apartment complex in San Diego while going to UCSD and had her car stolen. It was found four months later, where it had been parked ever since it was stolen, only one mile away.  The thief just stole the cheap after-market radio in the car and abandoned the vehicle on the street, where it was finally noticed by a parking control officer who notified my daughter of its location.  After that, she stopped driving cars and traveled everywhere by motorcycle.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:27:34 AM »

I bet someone will find it on the street once it runs out of power and the thief has no clue what to do next - especially if you didn't have a charging cable on board.

Yes, it didn't have the charge cord onboard, so we do expect to see it somewhere soon. I've filed a report and have checked a number of unattended areas in the area.

I realized there's some irony in that the unofficial manual might actually give them a clue what to do with it - so I'm also considering a section on the site just to help us organize against thieves. Zeros are really foolish targets for thieves.

Years ago, my daughter was living in an apartment complex in San Diego while going to UCSD and had her car stolen. It was found four months later, where it had been parked ever since it was stolen, only one mile away.  The thief just stole the cheap after-market radio in the car and abandoned the vehicle on the street, where it was finally noticed by a parking control officer who notified my daughter of its location.  After that, she stopped driving cars and traveled everywhere by motorcycle.  ???

That sounds very similar to what happened to the last car that I owned, a 1966 Ford Mustang hatchback. I deliberately left the doors unlocked so that a would-be thief could just grab the (modernized) stereo from it and leave the car alone. Instead, they shattered the passenger wing window which cost an obscene amount to source and replace. I miss that car, but am glad to just have motorcycles now.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »

UPDATE: RECOVERED.

The bike was recovered by Oakland Police Department a few miles away within city limits inside a trailer.

The ignition was cored, but the bike was not stripped or (on the report) damaged. My insurance owns the title now so they'll have a look and decide what to do with it. I've also informed Zero; the critical question is the battery condition.

Curt

• View Profile
Re: [STOLEN] [RECOVERED] 2013 DS (white plastics)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 03:45:00 PM »

Wow. Bastards for stealing it and bastards for ruining it.

Zero says to check SOC monthly, as "Leaving the power pack discharged below [30%] for a prolonged period could damage the power pack".  Going by the first paragraph on https://electricscooterparts.com/troubleshootingbatteriesarenotcharging.html, it is definitely destroyed. The voltage will have fallen off the cliff.

It would be interesting to know the SOC in case they actually did plug it in. Unlike implied above, I don't see how it's rocket science to find the receptacle and plug it in (using the cable from a stolen computer of course).

Whether the insurance co realizes it or not, they should classify it as "totaled", and as they have no idea what to do with it, they might practically give it away.

Zero's charging recommendations page indicates that "While unplugged and keyed off, the motorcycle’s electronics will consume a very small amount of power and the pack will drain extremely slowly". It would be interesting to know the various trickle rates for the bike electronics, BMS, and other internal losses.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 02:24:14 AM »

It was already declared a total loss, as far as my claim was concerned, and I was compensated. I just want to ensure any usable equipment is recovered for some good purpose.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 08:09:07 PM »

This shows Zero has to inform the public more so criminals can at least get more than one ride from stolen bikes.  LOL

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 02:13:50 AM »

Please don't make unwarranted inferences. The SoC may actually be quite high. It's out of my hands, but I've sent the information along for someone to hopefully assess its state reasonably.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 06:39:59 AM »

What?... It's a joke man.
As if I were a criminal complaining about why I didn't know how to use the bike because it has to be someone else's fault.
Criminals deserve to be ridiculed. IMO

Laughter is the lubricant to life's hardships.

I'll try harder next time.  :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 02:36:37 AM »

I don't write comments on forums for the benefit of other people on the thread. I write comments for the benefit of the much larger group of people who read the thread and don't reply.

In this case, I want to make sure that it's understood what's known and not known about the state of the battery, so people don't amplify their anxieties and prejudices.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »

Ok last on post on this thread for me.
A stolen bike was the thread, that's all, it's not a reference or a guide or a how to it's a wanted poster.
Just to point out at the top you and Richard talked about the bike not having a charge cord and the thief not knowing what to do with it.  As you said it was a foolish target for the thief.  They didn't even ride it more than once most likely. 
I thought I'd chime in on the "dumb crook" angle because I thought you'd laugh at the situation now that it's been found. 
I was wrong.
Do you remember I sent you some bike listings to try to help you find it?
I hope whatever happens with the bike from here it works in your best interest.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »

Locking. Thanks everybody!  8)
Pages: [1]