General Category > General Discussion

Reducing Washington State electric vehicle fee

(1/3) > >>

Rogercoulter:
Wednesday Jan 17th, the Washington State Senate will consider a bill to reduce the electric vehicle fee for motorcycles.  There's currently no distinction between motorcycles and cars so the per-mile cost is roughly 8 times higher for electric motorcycles than conventional motorcycles and 4 times higher (per mile) than for cars.  This fee, intended to make electric cars pay a comparable tax to support roads and bridges that gas vehicles pay through the fuel tax, has the unanticipated consequence of punishing electric motorcycles - treating them like gas guzzling SUVs. The new law would fix that by reducing electric vehicle fees for motorcycles from $250 to $30.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=6107&Year=2017

Anyone near Olympia Washington might want to come testify in support.  Wednesday, January 17th, at 3:30 p.m. in SHR 1 In J.A. Cherberg Building.

The rest of you. Please wish us luck.

Roger

Richard230:
California is doing the same thing by charging all electric vehicles, including electric motorcycles, an extra $100 each year, over and above the normal license registration fees for the vehicle, to fund road and other random transportation improvements starting next year. However, there appears to be no interest in giving electric motorcycles a break in this state.  I don't think the California state legislature ever backs off on a tax once it is in place.  >:(

ultrarnr:
I live in North Carolina and renewed my registration on my SR last month. Nice to see that North Carolina has eliminated the $150.00 a year EV fee for electric motorcycles.

Keith:
Or is it just a mistake by NC DMV? I didn't see anything about a change in the news or on NCDOT website. The fee is listed here
--- Quote ---All Electric Vehicles are subject to a $130 fee in addition to their registration fees    $130
--- End quote ---
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/fees/?s=VF

NEW2elec:
Well GA has a $200 fee but I have been emailing my state senator who agreed that it shouldn't be the same for motorcycles as 4800 pound cars.  He wanted my weight specs and i also calculated what I would have paid in gas tax for going 5000 miles figuring 40MPG which came out to $32.50.
We'll see if anything changes but most of these guys don't have these kind of numbers to help make decisions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version