• April 24, 2024, 11:38:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alta winning at Pro level  (Read 1008 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Alta winning at Pro level
« on: December 24, 2017, 04:07:52 PM »

Interesting article on motorcycle.com. http://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/12/20/motorcycle-news/pro-riders-go-electric-with-alta-motors-redshift-platform/

Good to see electric winning against ICE in the same race.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Alta winning at Pro level
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 08:46:10 PM »

If electric motorcycles start winning too many races the major manufacturers will get them banned.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 09:06:15 PM »

It would be interesting to see how Alta fares up against the KTM E-XC. The battery is smaller on the KTM so may not have the range needed for the competition circuit.

ultratoad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »

Nice article....  I certainly wish ALTA the very best....  They certainly have a quality product....

MX Engineer

• Electric Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 12:53:40 AM »

If electric motorcycles start winning too many races the major manufacturers will get them banned.   ;)
Not going to happen. They lost their chance to do it earluer. Now going against electric will make them look bad, unpopular.

They may resist Alta in Supercross though, just like they are resisting 2-strokes.

MX Engineer

• Electric Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 12:54:48 AM »

It would be interesting to see how Alta fares up against the KTM E-XC. The battery is smaller on the KTM so may not have the range needed for the competition circuit.
No contest. The KTM is a moped, it has half the power of the Alta.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:33:41 AM »

Hey that would be interesting to see.  The same riders switch back and forth on the ALTA and the KTM and see how they compare. How about in some single track trails.  Wasn't that video with Ricky Carmichael on a 450cc?  So the ALTA compares to a 450.  I thought it was originally supposed to be comparable to a 250cc, I guess not.  40hp sounds like a 450. The KTM with 24hp sounds like a 250.  I think 24hp is more than the klx250 that just came to the USA in 2018. You applied too much exaggeration factor by saying moped. I like 250's more than 450's.  I like KTM's choice of a smaller engine.  I hope they don't put a 40hp motor in it, unless they offer 2 versions of the bike, options are fine.  Although I must admit, 24 does seem on the low side. With the higher torque it still performs better?  Ok I want to see the KTM and the klx250 in the sand dunes.  You need torque for sand.         

Judaslefourbe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 11:34:35 PM »

Hey that would be interesting to see.  The same riders switch back and forth on the ALTA and the KTM and see how they compare. How about in some single track trails.  Wasn't that video with Ricky Carmichael on a 450cc?  So the ALTA compares to a 450.  I thought it was originally supposed to be comparable to a 250cc, I guess not.  40hp sounds like a 450. The KTM with 24hp sounds like a 250.  I think 24hp is more than the klx250 that just came to the USA in 2018. You applied too much exaggeration factor by saying moped. I like 250's more than 450's.  I like KTM's choice of a smaller engine.  I hope they don't put a 40hp motor in it, unless they offer 2 versions of the bike, options are fine.  Although I must admit, 24 does seem on the low side. With the higher torque it still performs better?  Ok I want to see the KTM and the klx250 in the sand dunes.  You need torque for sand.         

If I may, you are comparing apples and oranges here.
If you are talking MX bikes, a 250cc will make about 40hp, and 450 will be around 60hp.
And if our bike did so well against RC's 450, it is for a bunch of reasons. Some of them are: tight course, ease of use, younger rider, luck, torque bonanza, stars alignment...
Finally sand and mud actually require hp as opposed to torque.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 12:03:55 AM »

Not going to happen. They lost their chance to do it earluer. Now going against electric will make them look bad, unpopular.

They may resist Alta in Supercross though, just like they are resisting 2-strokes.

LOL. I WISH it was that easy. If that was how it worked, we would still have the superior-in-every-way-except-engineering-cost 2stroke bikes.
instead we have heavier bikes with less power that have more parts, break more often and are extremely high maintenance...

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 04:23:14 AM »

Well I was thinking trail bikes, not mx bikes, because that is what I look for to buy.  In that case the Alta is like a 250 mx, and the KTM is like a 250 trail bike.  My 250 mx has to run much quieter for where I ride, so I think its closer to a trail bike.  I still want to see a video of gas vs electric on sand, I haven't seen that yet. Going slowly, like parking lot speeds, my 600 can roll from pavement to sand and not notice. My 250 requires throttle to make the transition, and its quite noticeable.   
Pages: [1]