• April 25, 2024, 03:57:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bike jacking - Safety kill switch  (Read 1347 times)

Specta

• View Profile
Bike jacking - Safety kill switch
« on: December 23, 2017, 10:27:30 PM »

Hello,
Does anyone know where to connect a safety kill switch on Zero bikes ?

StraydogEOMFD

• View Profile
Re: Bike jacking - Safety kill switch
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 10:34:25 PM »

You don't already have one on your handlebars?  Or a key? ???

Specta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 10:45:36 PM »

I am talking about the kind of device you attach to yourself with a string to shut down the bike if you are ejected from it. See below :
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:51:29 PM by Specta »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 12:27:00 AM »

That's to shut off a gas engine so it won't keep running, pumping fuel, heating up, catching fire while your on the ground.
Electrics don't do that.
If your hand is off the throttle the back wheel slows and stops pretty quick.  The throttle disable will keep the throttle safe if you need to pick it up, or just key it off.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »

Bike Jacking.... so i think the request is still valid for electric or gasoline.

After an accident it takes a special passerby to not lift an electric bike by the handlebars and add a twist of throttle - which would be uncomfortable to anyone pinned (unconscious) underneath.

As a point of "special" I thought it was nice in the Gizmag LS-218 video when nearly tipped over - the owner approached, hit the kill switch, then helped tip up the bike. Very few Non-Electric riders would lead with the kill switch like that.

For ease I'd clip into the Kickstand circuit. It is closed when the kickstand is UP, so a kill switch resulting in an open circuit could tie in there quite well.

Specta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 02:04:44 PM »

Exactly, the purpose is to avoid a bike jacking.

Thank you for this solution ctrlburn, I did not thought about it.
Most of the device I find on the web are "normally open" circuits.
Do you know if the handlebar kill switch is a normally open circuit as well so it would be possible to connect it in parallel ?

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 07:04:14 PM »

The handlebar switch is closed to run so a series connection would be required (I'm pretty sure, it has 5V to switch, not ground). Also the kickstand switch is a three wire hall effect sensor, not so simple to connect another switch there.

The rear wheel will spin for a long time in the air if it was already revved, and the throttle can dig into the ground and stick on, just like a gas bike. But the inability to tell that the the bike is on and ready to run but silent is unique to electric.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 07:22:55 PM by Keith »
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 09:51:34 PM »

I haven't been to a drag strip in years but when I was racing ( Long Long ago in a galaxy far far away ) a "dead man's switch" was necessary to pass tech.
A wire or string was attached to rider's wrist and to an on off switch on the bike. If the bike and rider were separated, power to the engine would be disrupted.
For bikes that were raced often, a permanent connection was made. For a one off or seldom used bike I could sometimes slide a soda can pop top in between
the switch and the housing. A small hole could also be drilled into the switch so that a piece of string or wire could be fed through.
While it is true that the bike will slow naturally once throttle is released, I am sure that everyone has seen videos of a riderless motorcycle continuing on for a while.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 11:38:03 PM »

First my response was to the OP's word "ejected" even though the title says bike jacked.  A Zero that doesn't have the throttle regen down to 0% will stop pretty quick.  A throttle disable won't effect that motion one bit.  Hitting your throttle kill switch in a safe area will show it won't "stop" the bike.
These switches are good for jet ski's and most any watercraft as you want to be as close to the boat as possible if you hit the water.
As for a bike jacking, well if someone(s) removed you from your bike it's because they want to "make a better life for themselves" and if they can't get away they may feel "disrespected" and share their inner pain with your outer body.

If your not ready to shoot them, best to let them have it and let your insurance buy you a new one. 
But make your own call.

Specta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 05:06:32 PM »

It is only in USA that people have guns. I would rather fight or run as long as the thief doesn't left with my bike.

You can't just call your insurance and get a refund, you need proofs.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »

I see. 
Well I hope it works out for you.
Enjoy your bike.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »

I have bought the switch for my seadoo and it had three poles- common, normally open and normally closed, that was many years ago but you should be able to find one like that, I think that they are called a dead man's switch (not even going to touch the gun debate part of that! I'm Canadian)
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

Specta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 09:44:01 PM »

Thanks Ndm, I need to find one of those

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 10:30:01 PM »

I know that they have a big red button on the tail for the Race Zeros so that you just slap it and it stops "running"
I would imagine that a switch could be tied into that circuit.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 12:37:20 AM »

This discussion takes us back to the need to authenticate the rider. Tesla Model 3 car will be using a phone activation and an RFID tag; Would the same process be useful on a motorbike?
Pages: [1] 2