• April 25, 2024, 10:11:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Automated vehicles vs motorcyclists  (Read 445 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Automated vehicles vs motorcyclists
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »

Hmm, very interesting indeed. It sounds like a classic case of the "I didn't see you" syndrome.  Am I alone in thinking that it wasn't the biker's fault?  If someone did that manoeuvre to me, I'd be pretty annoyed. However, I'd probably be riding with enough of a safety bubble to give myself time to take evasive action.  At most a 50/50 blame?

This is a clear indication that autonomous vehicles are getting an awful lot of support from the establishment in San Francisco. That's a good thing, but I can't help feeling that it has made the police biased for political reasons.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this one.  I'm a big fan of autonomous vehicles, by the way. I also think that they will make the roads a lot safer for motorcyclists, but in this case I'm not so sure.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »

I doubt that the sensors didn't saw the bike, but to draw a proper conclusion we need more info than a 3 line accident report.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:27:43 PM »

I doubt that the sensors didn't saw the bike, but to draw a proper conclusion we need more info than a 3 line accident report.

Good point, I agree. Very unlikely the sensors didn't see the biker. I'll bet the next version of their software will have learnt from this and handles the scenario better.  Also, knowing the way that some bikers ride, I can't help thinking that it might have been a fair cop.  As you say Erasmo, not enough information available.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 01:04:45 PM »

According to the article, and the embedded clip, the motorcyclist was cited.
Lane splitting, like many other driving / riding "habits" may not be legal, but
not necessarily ticketed in and of itself. Probably similar to seat belt laws where
a police officer will not pull someone over for not wearing one, but, if stopped
for another infraction, it will be an additional charge.
Pages: [1]