• January 19, 2018, 05:33:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Eco-Mode vs. Self-Restraint  (Read 646 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Eco-Mode vs. Self-Restraint
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 03:54:40 AM »

I used to use eco mode in wet weather when I was running on the stock Kendra tyres my DS came with. They were rubbish and were actually quite dangerous when the were nearly worn out.

With good tyres and more miles under my belt I still occasionally use Eco mode when I need maximum range. The reduced torque and throttle response encourages steady riding. It's boring though and gets switched back to custom as soon as possible. I never use sport mode because I like full throttle-off regen.  It helps with cornering, by the way, in much the same way as entering a corner in a lower gear does on an ICE bike.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »

My vote is on using self-restraint. The muted acceleration with Eco mode means you may not be able to accelerate away from a dangerous situation leaving you with one less option in dealing with the situation. The potential for extra range is not worth the risk.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 09:15:07 PM »

My "eco" mode is my right wrist.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 11:58:13 PM »

Basically, when I ride around town, I use my "Custom" mode which is 100% for both torque and regen.  I get acceleration when I need it, and I don't have to use the brakes very often.  HOWEVER, when I hit the highway for my daily commute, I switch to "Eco" mode and use that like a "Poor Man's Cruise Control."  The speed limit here in New York may be 55, but unless you're doing 70 or better you're more than likely to get run off the road.

So, I put it into Eco mode (which still gives me more than enough acceleration to pull into traffic from the entrance lane) and just hold the "throttle" WFO till I reach my exit, at which point I thumb it back into "Custom" mode to decelerate on the exit ramp and back on to surface streets.
2016 Zero S: Short trips in traffic
2013 BMW C650GT: Long trips in traffic
1999 BMW K1200LT: For everything else

Shadow

• Tip Overs: 10
  • Global Moderator
  • Zero 2016 DSR ZF13.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 02:55:38 AM »

So, I put it into Eco mode (which still gives me more than enough acceleration to pull into traffic from the entrance lane) and just hold the "throttle" WFO till I reach my exit, at which point I thumb it back into "Custom" mode to decelerate on the exit ramp and back on to surface streets.
I guess that maybe WOT with a speed limiter is less efficient for long rides than moderating the throttle.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
  • a.k.a, Dave Whoami
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 05:55:22 AM »

In any case, you can change from one mode to another very quickly while riding.

I don't believe you can change modes when your speed is above 50mph.

on 2014 SR, you have to drop to 60mph and be throttle neutral before a mode change will take.
2016 SR, same experience.
2016 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
a.k.a, Dave Whoami

togo

• Motorcycles are for everyday transportation. And fun too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 11:55:10 PM »

I guess that maybe WOT with a speed limiter is less efficient for long rides than moderating the throttle.

Well, using a speed limiting mode will necessarily mean more and less thrust as you go up or down hill.  A throttle lock will hold the thrust steadier, but you might still have to adjust it if the hills are too steep.
It's like flying, but with more traction.  And none of that Z-axis complexity.

Lost my faith in Zero with my 2011 S, but regained it with my 2014 SR.  Diginow SCv2 changed my SR from a fun ride to primary transport.

2014 Zero SR, accessorized. 2008 Vectrix VX-1 NiMH. 2001 Honda Helix.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »

I only use custom mode with everything set to the max. Then I use self-restraint in the wet or if on a long ride.
ECO mode has no magic to it, if you don't put much power in, you can go further. I have done 200km on my 2015 SR in custom mode and self-restraint on the highway. Around town I can get 260km, you just have to go slow.
I like to know that I can have full power if something unexpected happens, and it always does sooner or later.
Pages: 1 [2]