• April 23, 2024, 08:27:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Noob Questions  (Read 1812 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Noob Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 01:02:13 AM »

Neat, but has anyone in here done a Babybutt on their Zero?

Same link as before
He rode over 1047 miles from Northern California to the Mexico border and back, in 22 hours and 57 minutes using only ChargePoint charging stations.[39][40][41][42][43]

I assume you are asking more than 1000miles  in less than 24 hours ... Terry has already done this.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 01:30:07 AM »

He did it on his Zero? I saw the picture of his fully faired bike and assumed it was done on that.
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 01:49:43 AM »

Beneath the Vetter fairing is a Zero.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 02:00:24 AM »

Anyone herein live in the San Diego area? I live about half an hour from Palomar Mountain, which is a fun sillystring road.

There are a few of us. I'm in El Cajon, I'll let the others speak for themselves.

Palomar's not a bad ride, though I haven't gotten around to it on this bike. It hasn't been too long since I got my SCv2 hooked up, which I would definitely need from El Cajon....but Palomar will definitely be on the agenda next riding season.

So far, this has been my most epic multi-charge journey. I did it a couple of months ago to qualify for the 250-miles-in-a-day club. With the weather we're having, Idyllwild is probably still beautiful.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 03:52:12 AM »

Ahoy Doug, thanks. I hope we can meet in 3D for a ride some time.
That's a pretty nice ride (we're so lucky to live here! [sorry if any of you American Siberians are reading this]) I've got some hidden backroads (sillystring roads, I call 'em) along that route I'd love to show you.
After watching some of Ben's videos, I'm going to be waiting at the dealership when they unlock the doors at 9:30 tomorrow. Can't wait!
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Noob Questions
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 10:49:13 AM »

Ben should clarify, but he probably has the most miles logged in 24 hours on a stock Zero. I think it’s 550 miles. I’ve done 460 miles in a day with similar equipment (he has a Power Tank whereas I had a newer baseline battery and a custom fitted windscreen and now a fairing).

Terry’s streamliner is a now retired 2012S with a ton of custom upgrades. It logged 70000 miles overall but is a record-breaking custom build.

We’re still trying to commoditize those proofs of concept.

Terry is now running around with a less custom but heavily upgraded Zero exceeding stock expectations of course.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 06:58:46 AM »

Good poop, thanks Brian! As a road cyclist (the pedaling kind) who's trained & raced with a power meter, I can appreciate how many Watts an aerodynamic position can save.
And I've ridden my ZX9R from Carlsbad to Philadelphia & back, so I tend to appreciate a slightly sportier position anyway. So far I figured Zero's commuter screen would be enough for me and my dog.

Looking forward to carefully reviewing your links tonight at home.
I would urge you to go with the touring screen: more/better wind protection. That said, there's lots of info on this board about after market screens. I have the Zero touring screen (on my 2016 SR). It's OK. I'm looking for something better. Just arrived (yesterday) a Madstad screen. Am hoping to install it tomorrow. (self promotion: depending on how it turns out, I may have a used touring screen for sale at a good price).

I'm also a cyclist. If you don't know about them, google "2x2 cycles" They make racks to carry bicycles on motorcycles. Sadly, they don't
(yet) have any for Zeros. I do have one for my Honda CB500X, and it's fantastic.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 07:15:53 AM »

Neat, but has anyone in here done a Babybutt on their Zero?
Quick back-of-the-envelope calc (please call me out on mistakes): 1K miles in 24 hours means you need to average 41.7 miles per hour. Let's say you can go 100 miles on a charge, and recharge in one hour. Then you'd need to ride at 71.4 miles per hour.

With a stock bike, even a 2018, this seems unlikely. One reason: you have to stop and hunt for charging stations ten times -- so that's going to cut your average milage. Another reason: with a 2018 and a fairing 100 miles @ 70 mph may be possible (?) but you don't run your battery down to 0% before hunting for a charging station. And getting on/off the freeway 20 times further cuts into your average milage.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 10:40:26 PM »

They didn't have an SR, but let my gf and I take out a DSR and an S. It was heavy traffic around downtown San Diego, but still had enough freeway space to wick it up over 102. Was impressed, made deposit, SR 14.4 with charge tank and white bodywork has ETA of January. Kind of a novel sensation getting up to speed that quickly with so little drama. We were stuck in freeway traffic and I'm looking ahead trying to figure out why everyone is going so slowly, then I caught a glimpse of the speedo at 74mph, haha.

And I love that the 2018 is going to be in white. There's nothing better than lane-sharing up to the front at a stoplight on a white, cop-looking bike and watching all the motorists throw their phones over into the passenger seat.  ;D  Looking forward to this!  Thanks very much for the guidance. More noob questions sure to come.

Just thought of one: will the Zero motorcycle app work with my ancient Iphone 4s?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:47:24 PM by calamarichris »
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 10:55:12 PM »

There's nothing better than lane-sharing up to the front at a stoplight on a white, cop-looking bike and watching all the motorists throw their phones over into the passenger seat.
[emphasis mine]
There's a (very rarely enforced) law in my country that if 3 out of 5 people who only got a 2 second look at your vehicle and identify it as a police vehicle ... it's immediately impounded.
note: exact nr of people and seconds may be off by a few

... so while it would indeed be fun, I wouldn't want to look too much like a cop where I live.  :)

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 11:27:50 PM »

No, no, I'm not disguising my bike to look like a cop bike! But a white and black bike does initially resemble a cop bike to those who are perhaps distracted by their phones while driving.

I noticed this happening whenever I'm on my white BMW F800GT (which is a very cop-looking bike.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:32:07 PM by calamarichris »
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 11:38:53 PM »

I'm also a cyclist. If you don't know about them, google "2x2 cycles" They make racks to carry bicycles on motorcycles. Sadly, they don't
(yet) have any for Zeros. I do have one for my Honda CB500X, and it's fantastic.

Haha, I already have a 2X2 bike to get my track bike down to the Velodrome. Am looking forward to getting my mountainbike to the trailhead with it one of these weekends too.
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 05:14:50 AM »

No, no, I'm not disguising my bike to look like a cop bike!
Sorry, I didn't want to imply that.

[...] does initially resemble a cop bike to those who are perhaps distracted by their phones while driving.
and that's the problem with the law where I live: it's so strictly worded that even in those situations ... in theory ... it could get impounded
it's also the reason why this it's is hardly ever actually enforced ... it's so strictly worded that enforcing the law as such is just silly and impractical.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:24:13 AM by TheGap »

hiposw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »

I just emailed 2X2 cycles and was told they do make a bicycle rack for Zeros. He said you need a zero luggage rack on your bike and that's it. He said he sent out 4 or 5 in the last month. I had never heard of them before. I am going to check it out. Thanks for the info!
2015 DS
2018 DSR

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »

I just emailed 2X2 cycles and was told they do make a bicycle rack for Zeros. He said you need a zero luggage rack on your bike and that's it. He said he sent out 4 or 5 in the last month. I had never heard of them before. I am going to check it out. Thanks for the info!
Wow! I'd emailed them a couple of times (months ago) about Zero, and never got a response. Recently I got a Honda CB500X and a 2x2 rack, and couldn't be happier. I'll have to check back with them. But I do wonder if the stock Zero rack is hefty enough for mounting the rack + bike. We're talking about something like 30 pounds total, with a fair bit of weight hanging off the back end. I worry about leverage factors. The racks on my cb500x are *way* heftier than the Zero's.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR
Pages: 1 [2] 3