• April 25, 2024, 02:51:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wiring Diagram for 2016 FX  (Read 5075 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Wiring Diagram for 2016 FX
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »

I've created a complete wiring diagram for my FX and have uploaded it to the Unofficial Service Manual here https://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Schematic. It is too large to attach so here's a link to the pdf https://zeromanual.com/images/8/8f/2016_FX_Wiring_1-1.pdf I will keep this thread uploaded with any revisions as Burton has done with his diagram.

EDIT - One significant error found, DC/DC Converter Input- should connect to Battery- as well as MBB 34-7, corrected in revision 1.1, svg attached. Added charger pin descriptions, improved print appearance.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:53:41 AM by Keith »
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

doorsdude

• View Profile
Wiring Diagram for 2016 FX
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »

Nice job there[emoji122]

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring Diagram for 2016 FX
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »

Outstanding - thanks very much !!

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:34:04 AM »

This is awesome. Let's do our best to take details from this to update relevant sections of the wiki manual.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »

Thanks for the comments. If someone can document the battery connection for the S models, that's probably the only real difference. I'd be happy to make another version to show that. And it seems likely that wiring for the more recent model years are also mostly the same, but for example I see that the ABS unit has a canbus connection that is not used, wonder that is still the case. MBB is still mostly a black box but many connections are obvious. Dash connections also could be better understood. And thanks are due to Burton, I applied a lot of his diagram's information, it was very helpful.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »

This is great!

I was hoping someone would simply let me take their wire loom apart on the newer models or the FX models and or train someone to do what I previously did so they could do it themselves just so we had this documented.

If you wanted to make this look fancier I would be willing to take the time to make it look similar to mine with all the fancy plugs / colors etc. If you had visio you could manage it from there if you liked.

Thanks for the hard work :) These things not only take time to make but time to confirm :D
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:24:03 PM »

A new version done today, Unofficial Manual is updated. https://zeromanual.com/images/8/8f/2016_FX_Wiring_1-1.pdf I added function descriptions to the Dash and MBB pins. I still don't have that information for the pack connectors. I'd also like to know more about how the S model pack connects.

Burton's fine work inspired me to do this. But I have to say having a harness to work with is a whole lot easier than checking continuity with a meter with the wiring on the bike!

Kenmc_3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »

This is a great diagram. Thanks for your hard work. I have a dumb question though. How do I know what the proper readings are for a circuit?

Example: MBB 1, pins 11and 27 are to the kickstand switch. How do I tell if the MBB is sending or receiving the correct signal on these wires?  Would I be looking for 5V or 13.5V? Should I be connecting the switch wire to chassis ground, or the ground connection (pin 12 on MBB) for diagnostic?

Or, DC/DC converter is enabled on the MBB 1, pin 20. So would I connect a VOM to measure DC voltage at pin 20 and again at pin 1 on the DC/DC connecting the negative meter probe to ground? What voltage would be appropriate, 5V, 13.5V ?

Thanks to anyone for helping me to understand how to better use this diagram for diagnostic without shorting something out.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 03:12:13 AM »

Good questions. My strong advice, be very careful! There are separate isolated power circuits on the Zero. Shorting the wrong things together can cause very costly damage, like requiring a replacement MBB (~$400) or BMS(~$500) or even controller ($$$$). If I knew the voltages they would be on the diagram, so I can only guess or probe them myself which I hesitate to do because it is risky. I did all my work on the diagram with no power anywhere, just an ohmmeter. Nothing on the Zero electronics is connected to chassis except one wire from the packs, shown in green, probably used to measure isolation. The 12V stuff shown in blue has its own "ground" shown in brown but it is not connected to chassis. The rest is mostly referenced to the battery negative shown in violet but it can be 5V, 12V or 100V circuits. Battery negative could be any voltage relative to chassis due to leakage or low isolation in the packs.The MBB needs to know about the 12v things like the brake light, but I think it uses opto isolators to do that. The MBB runs on 100V power that is ALWAYS ON from the pack (pin 18). That makes it really easy to do damage because it is live even when the bike is keyed off. Even with the packs removed, there will be stored charge in the motor controller. So for safety you should both remove the packs and discharge the system before checking any wiring issue. I use a light bulb across the aux charge port. It is possible to probe circuits while they are on of course, but it must be done with extreme care. The high DC voltage and potential high fault currents make doing that much more difficult and dangerous than on a conventional 12V gas bike.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 06:30:44 AM »

I've added this pin layout image for the pack connectors to the unofficial manual schematic section. Pin numbers match my wiring diagram. Pin descriptions are sketchy but probably close. https://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#X-Platform_Schematic
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:48:18 AM by Keith »

doorsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »

Awesome thanks. Very generous of you.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 09:59:45 PM »

But wait, there's more. Here's what things look like from the wire side. The inserts have mold numbers for pins and sockets. However, since the inserts are used in two different housing "genders" the numbers change but they are the same signals on the wiring diagram. Hopefully this clarifies which pin/socket is what signal everywhere.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »

And here is the FX power pack wiring from connector to BMS and contactor. This is in the BMS section of the unofficial service manual.

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 11:45:57 PM »

Keith, thanks a lot for this great work!

Considering the + AUX CHARGE PORT, from the diagram (orange wires), it seems that it is directly connected to the + of the battery (via a fuse JLLN100).
But in the legend the orange wires are labelled "battery + contactor". Where is the contactor ?

Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 02:19:53 AM »

The contactor is inside the pack connector housing and is controlled by the BMS circuit board in the pack. So power to or from the aux charge port only connects to the battery itself when the MBB and BMS processors together decide to close the contactor. That involves CAN bus communication triggered by the key switch and/or the onboard charger.
Pages: [1] 2