Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: mirrors  (Read 832 times)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
mirrors
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:52:04 AM »

I know there have been posts about bar-end mirrors; this is not (necessarily) about that. I've never had complaints about my SR's mirrors. Until last week, when I took a multi-day trip on a new (for me) honda cb500x. The next day I commuted on my Zero. And my reaction was:  why are these mirrors so small, I can't see hardly anything! So, I'm interested in any who've replaced the stock Zero mirrors with something else. Also, I'd like to install  blindspot mirrors -- but I don't think the stock Zeros have enough real-estate.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: mirrors
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:31:46 PM »

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 05:38:55 AM »

2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »

I come from cruisers with a few dirt bikes in early times so I'm prone to ride more upright.

When I lean closer to the mirrors I found my view increases.

I have to think that Zero engineers didn't set the mirrors so I could watch my arms.

Which leads me to think "am I am sitting wrong?" to which I have to think... "Yes".

My "natural posture" is 29 inches (74cm) from nose to speedo. (I'm 5'8" (173cm))

My "better mirror posture" is just 19 inches (48cm) from nose to speedo which I try to assume.

But I wonder if I should be even closer.

I've been hesitant to compensate for my posture by augmenting the mirrors because mirrors are a better reminder than sore post ride elbows.

I would be glad to find any other comparative measurements from properly acclimated Zero Z and Zero SR riders.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »

I'm not going to measure myself up, but I don't have sore elbows even after a long ride, and what I see in my mirrors (from a normal sitting position) is 70% elbows, 30% actual rear view. It gets worse in winter when I wear my heavier jacket. If I want to actually see behind me, I lean my head sideways a bit or even remove one of my hands from the bar and take a quick peek.

None of which strikes me as particularly safe. I've seriously considered getting one of those Tadibrothers rear-view cameras to give a much better rear view without moving my eyes so far from the road.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 12:45:43 AM »

Puffy jacket really killed my rearview when it's cool.  Haven't used that jacket much lately.

Bar end work better for me.  And yes, moving head closer to mirror *does* increase field of view.

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 02:57:19 PM »

Another option would be mirror extensions. I think Yamaha-style ones fit (although I'd propably recheck that in the wiki). While they (at best) don't kill the optics, they immensly help to get a better rear view. Less than an inch forward and/or sideways is needed.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 04:37:17 PM »

I picked these up on e-Bay, I forget the details, but I believe they were Yamaha compatible.  Got my jacket out of my view.  Not exactly streamlined, but they work.  I tried bar end mirrors and just had trouble getting used to them (mostly because they were small round ones, and were just too small).

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »

I took off the stock mirrors and put bar end mirrors on my SR. I like it. It's something different. On my old bike I used blindspot mirrors. I did have some for the stock mirrors. I found them on eBay. They are 1.5" I think.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 08:10:09 AM »

I prefer the new-style stock mirrors like are in your photo to the ones that came on my 2014 Zero, as far as function goes.  But I agree they don't look as nice as the older mirrors.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 05:20:51 AM »

I took off the stock mirrors and put bar end mirrors on my SR. I like it. It's something different. On my old bike I used blindspot mirrors. I did have some for the stock mirrors. I found them on eBay. They are 1.5" I think.

I think mine are 3".  If you lane-split or go down hallways, it's worth paying the extra for the fold-away.

Yeah, 3".  These https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYZ8GPF/ were fine.  When I broke one, I bought one at cycle gear, pretty much identical for more than twice the price.  But it's good to give the local retail shops some business.
Pages: [1]