• April 24, 2024, 01:33:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Charging while riding?  (Read 2285 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: Charging while riding?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 03:13:55 AM »

Taper the tail?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 04:02:35 AM »

Tailwind makes some nice aero trailers:

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »

Too wide to go through the door I would need to go through : - )

I'm thinking a battery that could serve as whole-home UPS and peak-to-off-peak load shifter but also could go on the road as a trailer for extended range.

TheGap

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 10:12:51 PM »

Just wanted to know if the bike is capable of charging using the onboard and quick charging ports while your riding it?

Answer is simple: Not possible.

Shortly after I got my Zero SR 2017, I had an issue with my onboard charger.
While driving, the onboard charger thought it was connected to the mains power and I saw the charging indicator light up.
This gave no issue while driving, but as soon as I came to a full stop the bike went into safety and wouldn't move anymore until the charging indicator went out.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 12:51:03 AM »

Too wide to go through the door I would need to go through : - )

I'm thinking a battery that could serve as whole-home UPS and peak-to-off-peak load shifter but also could go on the road as a trailer for extended range.
They might be able to do a sleeker one, I've seen Zero's with small trailers before on this forum. For the batteries, Tesla has a nice density and form factor for in a trailer.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 07:04:51 PM »

This was too funny not to include
https://xkcd.com/1924/

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 01:37:00 AM »

This was too funny not to include
https://xkcd.com/1924/

accurate.

Also the XKCD hoverover:
This works for a surprising range of sunlit things, including rooftops (sure), highway surfaces (probably not), sailboats (maybe), and jets, cars, and wild deer (haha good luck).

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 12:38:18 AM »

Just wanted to know if the bike is capable of charging using the onboard and quick charging ports while your riding it?

Answer is simple: Not possible.

Shortly after I got my Zero SR 2017, I had an issue with my onboard charger.
While driving, the onboard charger thought it was connected to the mains power and I saw the charging indicator light up.
This gave no issue while driving, but as soon as I came to a full stop the bike went into safety and wouldn't move anymore until the charging indicator went out.

Aikirob's answer is related to *the onboard charger*.  Doesn't really speak to the "quick charging ports" part of the question, which I interpret to be is the Anderson AUX port or the bolts at the controller, both of which provide access to battery voltage when the main contactor is closed.  If you could detect when the contactor was closed and apply appropriately current-limited DC power at a voltage slightly higher than battery voltage but below 116.2vdc, I don't think there's any way the bike could reject it.  In theory.  That's the main power that feeds the controller, which the controller taps for make variable frequency AC to feed the motor. 

This has not been tested.  High voltage power is dangerous.  You could break your bike or kill yourself trying this.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 02:38:03 AM »

...I don't think there's any way the bike could reject it.  In theory.  That's the main power that feeds the controller, which the controller taps for make variable frequency AC to feed the motor.

That's pretty much my take on it, too, except for one thing. There is the 100A fuse on the Anderson connector; if that blows the bike would definitely "reject" the charging current. I'd want to tie into the controller wires directly.

It still tempts me...you're essentially creating a plug-in hybrid motorcycle, except that you can unhook the trailer when you don't want/need it. None of the burden of the "range extender" motor unless you want to chalk up some serious miles.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 03:29:05 AM »

Yes, Anderson AUX has a lower amp limit than the controller
connection.  I was thinking an external battery should be
connected the a rate-limiter that would be below that level,
maybe 3kw as long as battery is showing between 90 and 115v.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 03:45:26 AM »

...I don't think there's any way the bike could reject it.  In theory.  That's the main power that feeds the controller, which the controller taps for make variable frequency AC to feed the motor.

That's pretty much my take on it, too, except for one thing. There is the 100A fuse on the Anderson connector; if that blows the bike would definitely "reject" the charging current. I'd want to tie into the controller wires directly.

It still tempts me...you're essentially creating a plug-in hybrid motorcycle, except that you can unhook the trailer when you don't want/need it. None of the burden of the "range extender" motor unless you want to chalk up some serious miles.
Those fuses have been blown with less than 100A so watch out with them. But even if your charge with 'only' 70A while riding you pretty much have unlimited range provided that you do road legal speeds.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 04:09:36 AM »

But even if your charge with 'only' 70A while riding you pretty much have unlimited range provided that you do road legal speeds.

Eh, you don't even really need that. Even if you have a literal iron butt, you still have to stop for food and restroom breaks every once in a while. I'd bet ~50 amps would eliminate the recharging bottleneck as far as time management goes.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »

Absolutely. I think the biggest challenge here is to make the generator and Zero battery behave nicely with each other.
Pages: 1 2 [3]