• March 29, 2024, 09:10:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PRODUCT SURVEY: Battery Insulation Accessory for Zero Motorcycles  (Read 1831 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

I've been working with a concept for the last year and finally have a designer with a prototype very close to deliverable.

But! It's important to understand whether we need to adjust it and to hear what people think before they see it.

So, please take the time to fill out this survey, no matter what your interest level. Whatever you have to say will be appreciated and considered, because we can't anticipate every perspective.

https://goo.gl/forms/PZWeHRg67i4gTJLu1

Thanks!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: PRODUCT SURVEY: Battery Insulation Accessory for Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:57:25 PM »

Don't forget about a reflective option for hot lands!  That black looks nice but is a sun magnet. 

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:07:49 PM »

Submitted
Would you want to put a heating element behind it for cold storage? *
I assume this is primarily to heat the battery up to be able to charge and to be able to leave with a cozy battery from the start?

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 12:27:06 AM »

Submitted
I assume this is primarily to heat the battery up to be able to charge and to be able to leave with a cozy battery from the start?
I think it's referring to storage in an unheated place. I would like heating while riding.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 12:40:17 AM »

Submitted
I think it's referring to storage in an unheated place. I would like heating while riding.

"Insulation" implies retaining the existing heat, not pumping additional heat  into the battery.  The battery produces heat when being charged, and when in use.  The insulation would retain THAT heat in order to keep the battery as close as possible to optimal operating temperature.  Not an issue for those of you living in hot climates but a real issue for those of us who actually experience winter.

I get around the issue by using my ICE bike (pun intended) when the temperatures drop below freezing.  I'm not sure of Zero's recommendation for prolonged winter storage but last year I just left the bike plugged in all the time when it wasn't being ridden.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 03:12:52 AM »

Submitted

"Insulation" implies retaining the existing heat, not pumping additional heat  into the battery.  The battery produces heat when being charged, and when in use.  The insulation would retain THAT heat in order to keep the battery as close as possible to optimal operating temperature.  Not an issue for those of you living in hot climates but a real issue for those of us who actually experience winter.

I get around the issue by using my ICE bike (pun intended) when the temperatures drop below freezing.  I'm not sure of Zero's recommendation for prolonged winter storage but last year I just left the bike plugged in all the time when it wasn't being ridden.
In winter, my battery doesn't produce enough heat, even with some insulation. The wind at highway speeds overcomes whatever heat is generated, and I get slower and slower.

Clay
DoD #2160,6

winfried

• View Profile
    • Atelier Algorythmics
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 01:48:37 AM »

Submitted

In winter, my battery doesn't produce enough heat, even with some insulation. The wind at highway speeds overcomes whatever heat is generated, and I get slower and slower.

On wet weather i am forced to drive slower means more range but lower temperature means lower range.
In my expierience it stays mostly the same

Gesendet von meinem S60 mit Tapatalk

peugeot elecscoot 1999 ... Zero XU 2014

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 02:40:20 AM »

Brian's cozy is to insulate, not heat.  It's to retain temperature while charging or riding, and to be fully or partly removable when the day gets warmer.  Battery generates some heat under rapid charge (especially at low and high end) and rapid riding (like 70+ mph) and cool most rapidly under slower riding (55mph or less) so you'd want to adapt to whether you insulate or ventilate depending on the weather and the battery temp.  You can check the battery temp from the Zero Motorcycles app or monitorit the Zero Voltage (android only) app.  Battery temp above 50C/122F becomes a problem- contactor opens and you can't charge or ride until it cools, and it doesn't cool effectively unless you ride (at low to moderate speed).

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 08:01:35 AM »

The first version of this product has to be very simple, and we will err on the side of having it doing less in exchange for being easier to operate and less likely to cause problems for the owner.

For that reason, it will focus on insulation first and let the owner decide whether they want to use heaters for unheated storage. There may be an option or two but we have to focus on build quality, durability, and basic expectations for the first production run.

Regarding hot weather, I will say that this is not appropriate for hot weather, and that repeated fast charging can mean taking it off early. There may be a "reflector shade" version but we haven't worked out what would be effective.

All the feedback here is useful, although I'm not going to talk about specifics until we've made some decisions which the survey helps inform.

I will say that with my prototypes, I lose much less range in the cold and especially the wet; there is still a range loss because of aerodynamics in the cold, but the relative battery warmth retained means that the majority of range loss goes away. Zero battery monoliths gain and lose temperature slowly, but the impact on range seem to do with effects at the edge of the pack because of external cooling.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »

If its just a thermal blanket, then some of those silicone heater pads (the kind with thermostat) plugged in with the charger or separately if powerful, slipped between the battery and the cover would work.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »

I suppose I should have asked sooner but, is your product only for S/DS models? At least when you do produce it, it should give me some ideas in my diy endeavors for the FX.

Clay
DoD #2160,6

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »

I suppose I should have asked sooner but, is your product only for S/DS models? At least when you do produce it, it should give me some ideas in my diy endeavors for the FX.

We have no FX or FXS models to fit to, and they’re harder to actually protect even though they’re easier to wrap. But it’ll be doable if some near SF wants to volunteer a trial.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 12:04:53 AM »

What about a battery case that allows you to dump ice into it to cool the battery on hot days?  That’s what I need more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 01:36:26 AM »

What about a battery case that allows you to dump ice into it to cool the battery on hot days?  That’s what I need more!
Me too!  So far, every problem I have had with my two Zero bikes was from being too hot while it was well above 100°F outside in July/August. No problems this time of year.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 06:00:27 AM »

I've disabled the Google signin requirement. Feel free to use the email entry at the end for follow-up, but I didn't realize how restrictive some of the options I configured were.
Pages: [1] 2