• April 25, 2024, 09:44:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: EV IRS credit may beeliminated next year  (Read 493 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
EV IRS credit may beeliminated next year
« on: November 04, 2017, 04:31:01 AM »

I just heard on the news that the current 10% EV IRS credit is proposed to be eliminated in the latest version of the Republican party budget.  It would remain effective for purchases until the end of the year and then would be gone.  I haven't been keeping up with the current status of the credit for electric motorcycles.  Is it still effective for purchases this year or did it get killed off last year?  One thing is for sure, if EV cars get shafted in the final budget, you can be sure that there will be no breaks for motorcycles.  :(  Loosing that credit is not going to do anything to promote EV sales next year. I think that was a big selling point to defray the cost of electric vehicles. At least a few states still have rebates for electric vehicles, as long as the money holds out.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
Re: EV IRS credit may beeliminated next year
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »

At a certain point it will be time for the chick to leave the nest & fend for its self.

If solid state batteries deliver on their promises, EV will take off big time on its own merits & not need subsidization.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:22:50 AM »

At a certain point it will be time for the chick to leave the nest & fend for its self.
Pretty soon Farming (subsidized since 1922) will have it all under control and leave the nest.

Back on track - it was a bit of a bummer to have missed the Tax Credit when I bought my Zero.  But now I only get dissed for not paying road tax.

My Leaf and EVSE?   The tax credit was definitely a factor. It is going to impact sales, unless people are willing to rise up and defy the institutional discouragement.

Yadanut

• Yadanut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »

Why do they do that? My idea I'm not good

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 08:47:44 PM »

However, the UK is (finally) getting with the program:  https://electricmotorcycles.news/zero-motorcycles-welcomes-uk-government-commitment-to-investment-in-electric-vehicle-infrastructure/

Regarding the lack of a U.S. electric motorcycle credit, the word has always been that it was axed because the Brammo and Zero electric motorcycles were made in Oregon and California, which are heavily Democratic states, and doing away with that government buying incentive was just a (very) little payback by the Republican-controlled Congress.  My guess is the the auto EV credit will be next.  After all, that mostly benefits the liberal West Coast and why give them a break - when you can give them the shaft.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 10:01:34 AM »

So any updates on this? I just plunked down a deposit, not counting on any tax credit, but I'm sure not going to turn my nose up at a tax credit. And it would facilitate justifying this purpose to some of my rightwing relatives who are utterly hostile to anything done in the name of environment.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:03:34 AM by calamarichris »
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »

So any updates on this? I just plunked down a deposit, not counting on any tax credit, but I'm sure not going to turn my nose up at a tax credit. And it would facilitate justifying this purpose to some of my rightwing relatives who are utterly hostile to anything done in the name of environment.

Unfortunately, I doubt that anyone actually knows what is in the latest tax law proposal - including the people that will be voting on it. But I would be surprised if it had any provisions that is going to be very kind to electric vehicles. In any case, that will only affect purchases made next year. 

For purchases made this year you will have to head for the 2017 IRS EV tax credit form and check to see if electric motorcycles are listed as qualifying for the tax credit.  I know that electric cars qualify, I just don't know for sure if electric motorcycles are still receiving the tax credit. 

So far I have been to the trough 4 times, so if I don't get the credit this year, I guess I will have to be happy with what I received in the past. (Something like a total of $ 5,500 for 4 electric motorcycles - three of which probably shouldn't have received the tax credit, but I got it anyway.   ;)  )
Pages: [1]