• April 25, 2024, 04:23:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LS-218 vs H2  (Read 2248 times)

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: LS-218 vs H2
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »

Actually, “torque is the force it would take to stall the motor” is not a great description. The best I can think of is literal. Imagine instead of a motor your motorcycle is being pulled by a rope tied to the front end. The other end of the rope is wrapped around a drum. the rotation of the drum is pulling the motorcycle forward. Another rope is wrapped around the drum. A weight is tied to the other end of that rope. The falling of that weight is the force that is rotating the drum, resulting in the motorcycle being pulled forward. Torque is that weight times the radius of the drum. Torque is not the weight, as a larger drum requires a smaller weight to accelerate the motorcycle at the same rate.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Alan Stewart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »

Maybe this is the best analogy. There’s a team of horses on the other end of the rope. (Horse)power is the number of horses in the team. These horses always pull with the same amount of force. Torque is the tension on the rope.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »

There’s no fundamental difference between electric motors and internal combustion engines which results in the first being better at torque and the latter at horsepower.

At the risk of a willful ignoramus trying to box my ears again, of course there's a fundamental difference. The higher the rpm, the more power strokes an ICE produces per minute. That means it puts out more power. I said it before and it's still true.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 01:29:40 AM »

There’s no fundamental difference between electric motors and internal combustion engines which results in the first being better at torque and the latter at horsepower.

At the risk of a willful ignoramus trying to box my ears again, of course there's a fundamental difference. The higher the rpm, the more power strokes an ICE produces per minute. That means it puts out more power. I said it before and it's still true.

so there is more POTENTIAL for power at higher RPM. If the engine can actually breathe at higher RPM and doesnt choke and drop power depends on a lot of factors...

Alan Stewart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 03:25:00 AM »

so there is more POTENTIAL for power at higher RPM. If the engine can actually breathe at higher RPM and doesnt choke and drop power depends on a lot of factors...
[/quotte]

Because torque is being applied at a faster rate.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Alan Stewart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 03:36:52 AM »

Maybe this will help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_(physics)

Horsepower is a unit of measure for power. Torque is work, commonly measured in foot-pounds, i.e. displacement and force.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 04:58:58 AM »

Work is force times distance.  Torque is the force and rpm takes the place of distance to get horsepower.  One has to be careful with these electric bikes that have a primary reduction they can list the torque as  multiplied by the gearing.  At least Alta notes this.

As for those three cylinder two cycle Kawasaki bikes, there was a lot less traffic around here then I do not think one could ride something in the manner they were at this point in time.
Pages: 1 [2]