• April 27, 2024, 01:39:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Suspension adjustment and sag  (Read 857 times)

gt13013

• View Profile
Suspension adjustment and sag
« on: October 27, 2017, 06:25:41 AM »

Hello
I would like to lower my FXS 2016 a little bit.
First of all, I wanted to check the preload of my suspensions (or sag).
And I got very strange results.

The 2016-Zero-Owners-Manual says that the sag is preloaded for a 82 kg rider. I am about 74 kgs with all my equipment. In addition, I have put a rack kit, a top box, and several equipments at the back of my bike, that are weighting about 10 kgs.

Front suspension:
The manual says that the correct sag should be 60 mm.
I have measured it twice, and I got sags of 34.5 mm and 33 mm.
It means that I should increase the front sag, and consequently lower the front of the bike by about 26 mm.

Rear suspension:
The manual says that the correct sag should be 82 mm.
I have measured it twice, and I got sags of 100 mm and 94 mm.
It means that I should decrease the rear sag, and consequently raise the back of the bike by about 15 mm.

Note that the first series of measurements was made by hanging the bike, and the second by raising the bike from the bottom. That could explain some variations between the two measurements.

Anyway, I was surprised to get such opposite results concerning the front and the rear sag (I do not think that the 10 kgs that I have put in addition to the back of the bike could explain it).

Has somebody here measured the sag on his bike and compared it to Zero's recommendations ?
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

Killroy

• View Profile
Re: Suspension adjustment and sag
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »

Yes, I measured the sag and it was way off of spec. The rear was fine to adjust, but the front had all the preload turned out and the sag was still not enough.  I took it to shop and they cut the "spacer" which sounds common.  I was surprised that I was not able to get the motorcycle in spec with the preload adjustment.  I even asked Zero San Jose to warranty repair the fork, which did not work.  I'm a little lighter than average, but not that much. 

gt13013

• View Profile
Re: Suspension adjustment and sag
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »

Same here.

Since last post, I have tried to adjust the preload for the front fork. The manual is completely wrong. It is written (for the factory front preload of a 2016 FXS):
Front Fork Preload : 0 turns out from minimum.
And the recommend sag is 60mm

In my case, here is what I have observed (it is given in 1/6 th of turns since it is the more convenient way to count the rotation with the hexagonal nut):
Original adjustment: sag was about 34mm
From this original adjustment, I can increase the sag by turning the nuts counter-clockwise by 16/6 turns. In that case I get a sag of about 38mm.
From this original adjustment, I can decrease the sag by turning the nuts clockwise by 73/6 turns. In that case I get a sag of about 18mm.

If I was able to get the recommended sag, it would lower the front of my bike by about 22mm, and it would contribute to globally lower the bike, which is my aim.

Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016
Pages: [1]