• April 25, 2024, 08:27:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Going down  (Read 468 times)

adaviel

• View Profile
Going down
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »

I feel like an idiot. I just dropped my Zero FXS on the road. I've not dropped anything on the road like that for over 40 years - offroad, yes, but not on tarmac.

I'd just turned left at an intersection on a damp road, and gave it a bit of throttle to open up a gap from a car coming behind me on my right. The rear wheel spun out, got away from me and dumped me on my side. I knew intellectually that the Zero has much more torque than my 200cc gas bike, but I guess my body hadn't learned it yet. It's not the fastest or most powerful bike I've ridden - I've rented 1000cc gas bikes for a few days - though it might be the most powerful I've ridden in the wet.

Anyone else done this ?

My problem now is I don't heal as fast as I did 40 years ago; I'll have a beautiful bruise and a sore shoulder for days.  :( The bike's OK except for a bent brake lever I can probably straighten - didn't even break the flashers.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
Re: Going down
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »

I did the same in my driveway of all places.  I had just washed the bike and was turning at the top of my drive at high throttle and the bike was out from under me so fast I did not even know what happened.  I was also not wearing my Kevlar so I ended up learning about a 3M product for road rash called Tegaderm, great stuff!  The good news is the bike was fine, I only had to replace the handle bar end plugs (I put in metal ones).  It took my shoulder about a month to get back to normal.  I had hit a puddle left from washing the bike.  This was on my DSR.  I am REALLY cautious on wet surfaces now.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:42:42 PM »

I feel like an idiot. I just dropped my Zero FXS on the road. I've not dropped anything on the road like that for over 40 years - offroad, yes, but not on tarmac.

I'd just turned left at an intersection on a damp road, and gave it a bit of throttle to open up a gap from a car coming behind me on my right. The rear wheel spun out, got away from me and dumped me on my side. I knew intellectually that the Zero has much more torque than my 200cc gas bike, but I guess my body hadn't learned it yet. It's not the fastest or most powerful bike I've ridden - I've rented 1000cc gas bikes for a few days - though it might be the most powerful I've ridden in the wet.

Anyone else done this ?

My problem now is I don't heal as fast as I did 40 years ago; I'll have a beautiful bruise and a sore shoulder for days.  :( The bike's OK except for a bent brake lever I can probably straighten - didn't even break the flashers.

Here is the thread regarding this subject:  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7395.0
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ZEROCOOL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 04:04:27 AM »

Hi, I have an FXS and tho I have not dropped it I do get surprised from time to time, does have some decent torque in sport mode. Going threw turns I have broke the rear tire loose a few times while giving a little extra throttle mid threw or exiting the turn. Havn't gone down but surprised me sliding more than I was comfortable with this motorcycle sliding, It still was holding or trying to keep traction while the tire was spinning and sliding so the tires were resisting completely loosing  grip... think of pushing a good gummy eraser it doesn't just slide easily.
Just a week ago it's tiny torque surprised me again, was at a stop light and when it turned green I took off smooth and easy then about middle of the intersection got a little to much in the throttle and the front wheel came up about a foot... there is a slight hump in that area of the intersection.
2017 Zero FXS, 2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R Black, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE, 2009 Yamaha YZF R1, 2006 Yamaha  YZF R6 Raven
Pages: [1]