• April 26, 2024, 07:11:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battery down to 60%, what are my rights? What do you advise me to do?  (Read 1554 times)

ChainGun

• View Profile

My Zero S 2015 battery dropped to 60% capacity in September and is now in a state where I can't reliably commute with he bike. The dealer took the bike, contacted Zero and after some negotiations, Zero agreed to ship me a new battery (which will arrive in 8-10 weeks). Dealer says he has a slightly used battery (around 1000 KM) for me to use but says he won't change twice, i.e, he won't install the used battery now and then replace it with the new batter Zero sent when it arrives. From the dealer's point of view, I have two options:
1. Take the slightly used battery
2. Wait 8-10 weeks for a new battery

What are my rights here? Is the dealer/Zero obliged to provide me a new battery if my old one died under warranty? If he doesn't have a new battery, is he obliged to give me a replacement bike? I've never been in a similar situation, so I'm a bit at a loss here...

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
Re: Battery down to 60%, what are my rights? What do you advise me to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 01:10:12 AM »

What would the warranty be with the slightly used battery vs. the new battery from Zero? What is the state of the used battery? Was it used for racing? I don't read anything in my 2016 manual that suggests they have to provide a "new" battery. They promise a battery that will have no more than 20% degradation during five years or 100,000 miles. If the coverage for the new and used battery are the same, and the battery wasn't abused, I'd lean toward taking the used battery. 1000 km isn't that much.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

ChainGun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:22:34 AM »

Thanks, your advise makes sense. The used battery probably wasn't used for racing, just commute.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:08:59 AM »

Is the used battery a ZF13? The new battery from Zero should be a ZF13 even though 2015 Zero S comes with ZF12.5.

I would wait for new battery.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

ChainGun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 02:36:34 AM »

My original is 9.4, the (used) replacement is 9.8. I don't know what's the capacity of the one Zero is sending but I agree, if ZF13 (or even ZF12.5) I'd rather wait a few weeks.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:59:35 AM »

ChainGun,

I'd be interested to hear your story of how the battery issue progressed.  Does your SOC indicate 60%, or does it indicate 100%, but you noticed decrease in range?  Did this happen fairly abruptly, or was it a slow degradation?  Did they give you any clues about how they analyzed the battery?  I've read that they determine loss of capacity by analyzing battery logs.  Since we have the ability to look at the logs ourselves, I'm curious to know what they look at.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »

My original is 9.4, the (used) replacement is 9.8. I don't know what's the capacity of the one Zero is sending but I agree, if ZF13 (or even ZF12.5) I'd rather wait a few weeks.

That suggests to me that your 3-brick pack basically lost the use of a brick.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »

ChainGun,

I'd be interested to hear your story of how the battery issue progressed.  Does your SOC indicate 60%, or does it indicate 100%, but you noticed decrease in range?  Did this happen fairly abruptly, or was it a slow degradation?  Did they give you any clues about how they analyzed the battery?  I've read that they determine loss of capacity by analyzing battery logs.  Since we have the ability to look at the logs ourselves, I'm curious to know what they look at.
Interesting questions. I am curious to know the answers as well

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 01:32:00 AM »

> What are my rights here?

I am not a lawyer

> Is the dealer/Zero obliged to provide me a new battery if my old one died under warranty?

They have already agreed to do so, right?

I'd wait for the new battery, not take the used one.  Even if it wasn't used for racing it may have sat at low charge state for a long time; for lithium batteries, that's a DONT DO THAT.

Given Zero doesn't generally stock old batteries, you'll probably get a battery upgrade, like the DS 2013 factory recall people did.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 12:01:05 AM »

I'd also like to know the answers to domingo3's questions.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 12:17:09 AM »

While I would try to hurry up Zero in anyway possible, I would take the new from zero battery long before accepting some used battery.
This smells downright scammy as the dealer probably has no use for that battery anyway... and will get a new one for free.

You may be able to get zero to approve their battery swap, to use for a temp measure, and they pay labor twice.. but at no point would I pay out of pocket or accept anything but a new battery as a permanent solution

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 05:16:46 AM »

Check your state's lemon laws. You may be entitled to a full refund if it spends over a month or two off the road.

My Zero S 2015 battery dropped to 60% capacity in September and is now in a state where I can't reliably commute with he bike. The dealer took the bike, contacted Zero and after some negotiations, Zero agreed to ship me a new battery (which will arrive in 8-10 weeks). Dealer says he has a slightly used battery (around 1000 KM) for me to use but says he won't change twice, i.e, he won't install the used battery now and then replace it with the new batter Zero sent when it arrives. From the dealer's point of view, I have two options:
1. Take the slightly used battery
2. Wait 8-10 weeks for a new battery

What are my rights here? Is the dealer/Zero obliged to provide me a new battery if my old one died under warranty? If he doesn't have a new battery, is he obliged to give me a replacement bike? I've never been in a similar situation, so I'm a bit at a loss here...
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

ChainGun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »

ChainGun,

1. Last week I got a replacement battery. Dealer said it's used but less than 1000 KM and it's 9.8, better than my old 9.4. Performance wise, I'm happy. Not sure I made the best decision (I could have waited for the new battery) but I was sick of riding the train to work and back.
2. The degradation took a few weeks. The battery indicated 100% but I was starting to get speed-capped after less than 80KM (normally the range is 120 KM). Had some real frightening rides where I keep decelerating on a highway. On the day I returned the bike to the dealer, battery said 49% remaining on a ride which normally left ~70% available. Since I live on a hill, 49% at work means I can't make the ride home.
3. I sent them logs but Zero don't share the results or findings with you, only with the dealership.

All in all, I'm satisfied. I'd be happy to answer additional questions.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 04:04:52 AM »

You can post logs here, people have worked out how to decode most information.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »

3. I sent them logs but Zero don't share the results or findings with you, only with the dealership.
And sometimes they don't even share results with the dealership when the dealership tech asks a question... "You do not need to know this."

Is this due to being closely held with intellectual property in a small company, or some other factor like being too busy / unwilling to redirect limited resources?
Pages: [1] 2