• April 27, 2024, 03:47:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tire Expiration date  (Read 1201 times)

ESokoloff

• View Profile
Re: Tire Expiration date
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 10:20:28 PM »

Funny thing about these tires....

Shinko is a Korean tire manufacturer so no surprise to see "Made in Korea" on the side.
What was a surprise (& a bit of a disappointment) was that the Continental also was made in Korea.
Based on the identical cardboard spacing inserted inside the tires for shipping, I'll say they came from the same factory.

Continental moved their tire manufacturing from Germany to Korea years ago - for all of the usual reasons. My understanding is that they have a very modern tire manufacturing plant there.  I have been told that Shinko bought out Sumitomo's motorcycle tire manufacturing business and the major brand manufacturers claim that their tire designs are running a generation behind theirs.  Well, what would you expect them to say - since Shinko sells tires much cheaper than they do.   ;)

Well then I'll stand corrected but again stick my neck out & theorize that both manufactures source this packaging cardboard from the same vender.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

WoadRaider

• View Profile
Re: Tire Expiration date
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 03:25:40 AM »

I purchased a DSR 2016 4 months ago....and the date on the DOT tire is 3314, 33 is the week and 14 the year.
Should I be concern that I bought it new (The motorcycle) with almost 3 yrs old tires? If I call the dealership where I bought it, should they replace them for newer tires or not?
I don't ride a lot... and most of the info that I found suggest that don't use tires that are 5 yrs old.

To answer your first question/concern: A 2016 (model year) vehicle was very likely built in 2015, using parts the manufacturer had before then. As Richard230 explained; the tire itself would have been manufactured up to a year prior to the motorcycle manufacturer's receipt. And after the tire is put on the vehicle it still needs to be shipped/purchased before any consumer ever gets a hold of it. So, the youngest tire I'd expect to see on a new 2016 vehicle would have been made late 2014.
And I think that answers your second question; You have a "new" tire that's about as young as original tires on a 2016 (MY) could be. If dealers were expected to replace tires that are more than about a year old they would have to replace the tires on every new vehicle.
As for the overall concern of a tire's age: You can usually see tire wear. But even without bothering to inspect the tire for wear: If a tire has been stored in a cool-dark-dry place for ~10 years it should still have a full life ahead of it (assuming excessive use within a year or two). I wouldn't buy a tire over 10 years old, even though it could be ok. 10 years is a common limit put forth by tire manufacturers, but keep in mind that they air (err) on the side of extreme caution, probably considering high-end performance.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:26:44 AM by WoadRaider »
perspective, use it
Pages: 1 [2]