• March 29, 2024, 04:47:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Any experience with Dunlop GPR300 tires?  (Read 2102 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Any experience with Dunlop GPR300 tires?
« on: October 04, 2017, 12:44:01 AM »

After nearly 15,000 miles my OEM Pirelli's are close to done.  I was thinking of making the bike as "All American" as I can by replacing the Pirellis with Dunlop GPR300s since they come in the right size, are even listed on their site for the Zero S, and they're made right here in good ol' New York State.  Anyone have any experience with them?

As a side note, I typically prefer Metzeler tires but their site doesn't have any recommendations for the Zero and I can't find a matching size for the rear tire (though I can find one for the front).

Thanks in advance,
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Any experience with Dunlop GPR300 tires?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:14:27 AM »

I just replaced my original Road Whiner tires with Michelin Street Radials, front and back.  They seem to be working well.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:49:55 PM »

After nearly 15,000 miles my OEM Pirelli's are close to done.
Incredible!! How are you guys achieving these milages? I can only dream of that.

I know that in the US you can drive until you have about 0.8mm left, whereas here in EU it is 1.6mm. But still, my first set was down after 7000 km and the second one after 5000km. So, my current third set of tires will be down still well below your 15000 miles (which should be appr. 23000 km). :(

These are the OEM Pirelli Rosso II on the SR.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 03:35:08 AM »

I've got the S, which comes with the Diablo Rosso II tires.  I also don't whack the throttle wide open every time I leave a stop, nor do I slam hard on the brakes at every stop.  I accelerate just hard enough to stay with traffic, and use the regen (set to 100% in custom mode) to slow as much as possible before using the brakes.

Although I do take it out and "play" on weekends, the majority of my mileage is just the boring commute to and from work every Monday through Friday (34 miles round trip, mostly highway on Eco mode at 70 mph).  I also usually go out at lunchtime for a short ride to someplace to eat.

Checking the tire pressure every week and making sure the tires are properly inflated also help (I keep them at the recommended pressures).

No magic involved.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »

I've got the S, which comes with the Diablo Rosso II tires.  I also don't whack the throttle wide open every time I leave a stop, nor do I slam hard on the brakes at every stop.  I accelerate just hard enough to stay with traffic, and use the regen (set to 100% in custom mode) to slow as much as possible before using the brakes.

Although I do take it out and "play" on weekends, the majority of my mileage is just the boring commute to and from work every Monday through Friday (34 miles round trip, mostly highway on Eco mode at 70 mph).  I also usually go out at lunchtime for a short ride to someplace to eat.

Checking the tire pressure every week and making sure the tires are properly inflated also help (I keep them at the recommended pressures).

No magic involved.
Thanks. Looks pretty much identical to my driving habbits. 99% is for commuting only. Very few stops involved here, so no throttle whacking or hard braking. Also using 100% regen, when the brake lever is touched. I always try to nearly completely stop with only the regen. Typically that works for 50% of my stops, I guess.
I measure tire pressure constantly (with installed sensors), although my dealer told me to better increase the pressure from the original 2.2-2.3bar to 2.5-2.7bar.

While it is probably difficult to compare driving habbits, I still somehow can't believe that there is such a big difference between us two that your tires are holding three times the milage than mine do. To me it really sounds a bit magically.  :o

Maybe it has to do with climate???

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »

The road surface itself may also be a contributing factor. The wear factor is different between concrete and asphalt depending on the friction aggregate added to the asphalt (finely crushed glass, rubber tire granules, etc.). Also a worn road surface has different characteristics than a fresh surface.
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »

I think the SR comes with "stickier" tires than the S, so that is probably your difference right there.  If you're not testing the limits of adhesion every time you ride, maybe you should switch tires to the ones used on the S?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »

Zero use same tires for S & SR :
- Pirelli Diablo rosso II in 2017
- Pirelli Sport Demon in 2016

My 2016 sport demon last long time. At 19 000 km, Rear was used, front was still good. Done many (more than 5) track days with theses tires.
Changed both at 19 000km for Bridgestone S20 evo.
Zero S 11k 2016

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:07:33 PM »

Sorry for the confusion.  You are right; my 2016 S has Sport Demons.  I couldn't remember and checked the Zero website when I wrote my post above.  I wasn't aware Zero decided to use the same tire for both bikes.  I suspect you'll get longer life out of the Sport Demons as opposed to the Diablo Rosso tires.  I do remember that in 2016 they were shod with different tires though (and I just confirmed that by looking at my Owner's Manual.  In 2016, the S used the Sport Demons, and the SR used the Diablo Rosso II).

I still want to see how the Dunlops work out (which is the original reason I started this thread) but it doesn't look like anyone here has tried them yet.  Oh well... not the first time I'll be a pioneer.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:14:43 PM by JaimeC »
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 09:31:02 PM »

oh, didnt noticed that SR had Diablo Rosso II tires in 2016 o_O

But as it is "hypersport" tires, it's normal that they have been used quicker than Sport Demon which are "sport touring" tires

No, sorry, didnt tried the dunlop tires.
Zero S 11k 2016

josequinones

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 02:43:21 AM »

Jaime

I have had these exact tires since October of last year on my 2014SR, about 4500 miles so far. Compared to the stock IRC tires they have way better grip wet or dry and they improved the suspension feel, it did not ride as harsh as the stock tires which were very stiff.

However, they will wear out quickly. I commute 95% of the time, 40 miles round trip, so the center of the rear tire is almost gone, I doubt I can get 6000 miles out of it. The front might last that long but I'll probably replace them as a set along with the bearings.

Give them a shot.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:45:36 AM by josequinones »
2014 SR w 14.4 pack, 2016 FLHTP, 2009 Buell XB9SX, 2000 XL1200C

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »

oh, didnt noticed that SR had Diablo Rosso II tires in 2016 o_O

But as it is "hypersport" tires, it's normal that they have been used quicker than Sport Demon which are "sport touring" tires

No, sorry, didnt tried the dunlop tires.
OK, that's probably the explaination then :)
I will think whether to use rather "Sports Touring" tires next time than the OEM Rosso IIs.

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 07:33:13 AM »

I just put them on my 2015 S; bike came with the Sport Demons which are Bias Ply and I never really trusted them following an incident early on. So far so good though I am just past the 100 mile break in period so I have been taking it real easy.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

My experience has been that bias ply tires last a LOT longer than radials on a motorcycle; the exact OPPOSITE of what I've experienced with cars.  The Metzeler ME880 Marathons I use on my 850 lbs, 100 bhp K1200LT routinely get 20,000 miles between changes.  None of the bikes I've owned that've used radial tires have ever even gotten CLOSE to that figure.

If the OEM Sport Demons are bias ply, that would seem to back up my hypothesis as they currently have over 15,000 miles on them and probably have a few thousand miles left based on how they look right now.

For comparison, my Buells all had radial tires; roughly the same horsepower as the K1200LT and HALF the weight... yet I never even made 10,000 miles on their tires (neither the OEM Dunlops, nor the Metzelers I replaced them with).
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]