• April 27, 2024, 09:57:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fastener sizes?  (Read 557 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Fastener sizes?
« on: September 30, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »

I need to get the proper socket for the rear axle nut so I can properly torque it with my torque wrench (I confess, I've been using an adjustable wrench and just cranking on it HARD).  I checked the unofficial manual for the info but all I could find was the torque specs, not the actual size.

Does anyone have this info?  Brian, this could be useful information for the site, too.

Thanks,
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

droidish

• View Profile
Re: Fastener sizes?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 12:32:11 AM »

27mm.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:48:48 AM »

Thanks!!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »

1-1/16" is close enough.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »

Great! Was just looking for the info as my belt seems to be too tight.

So, gonna order a 27mm then.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »

........my belt seems to be too tight.

on my 16 DSR, I found that the belt tension is not consistent & had to split the differencce.
I assume the rear sprocket is not running true so the belt is too tight at a certain spot &  too loose 180° opposing that spot. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 04:03:59 AM »

on my 16 DSR, I found that the belt tension is not consistent & had to split the differencce.
I assume the rear sprocket is not running true so the belt is too tight at a certain spot &  too loose 180° opposing that spot.

Could be, but check your sprockets for road grime and your belt teeth for abnormal wear.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 06:56:57 AM »

Could be, but check your sprockets for road grime and your belt teeth for abnormal wear.

The inconsistency in belt tension follows the rear sprocket (sheave) not the belt.
If there was debriss on a section of the sheave the hat would explain the abnormal tight section but as I stated, 180° from the tight section is the loose section.
The other two sections are the average thus the sheave or its mounting is out of trueness.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »

If there was debriss on a section of the sheave the hat would explain the abnormal tight section but as I stated, 180° from the tight section is the loose section.
The other two sections are the average

This could still be consistent with grime in the sprocket teeth. An easy check is to set the rear wheel so the tension is highest and examine the rearmost section the sprocket to make sure the belt is uniformly sitting in the sprocket.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 09:47:58 PM »

The other two sections are the average

This could still be consistent with grime in the sprocket teeth. An easy check is to set the rear wheel so the tension is highest and examine the rearmost section the sprocket to make sure the belt is uniformly sitting in the sprocket.

Hey, who's garage is the Beast parked in? ;D
One last attempt to convince you that this is a manufacturing &/or assembly issue.

As viewed from the left side of the bike with Approximate positioning:
When the valve stem is @ 4:00 the belt is its loosest & @ 11:00 its tightest.
2:00 & 7:00 are neutral/average.
This pattern also corisponds with 2 of the 4 sheave to wheel mounting screws being in alignment with the front/motor sheave.

I recommend that all owners &/or mechanics check the belt tension at these coordinates (& perhaps even halfway between these 4, i.e. 8 total locations) to insure that the rear sheave is properly manufactured &/or installed.

My belt tension (2016 DSR) varies approximately 20 Kg's.

Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: [1]