• March 29, 2024, 07:57:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I live in an EV dead zone  (Read 1165 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: I live in an EV dead zone
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »

I love where I live. I live on 2.5 acres in 1st Aero Squadron Airpark, a residential flying community. My hangar is insulated and 60'X40', lots of room for planes, cars, bikes and other toys.

Erasmo, I wish it was easy. I don't want to weigh the bike down with (3) extra chargers just to max out 14-50 RV outlets for a slow Level 2 charge. I'm sure (at least hope) Zero will see the light and up their voltage so fast DC charge stations can be used while on long trips. There is a big difference on long trips between a maxed out level 2 charging at 1 hour and 20 minutes vs 20 minutes on a good CHAdeMO, don't you think?
Extra chargers do weigh a bit but nothing the bike cannot handle, also higher voltage stuff and CHAdeMO stuff is also pretty heavy, my CHAdeMO topcase was anything but light.

Let's do some napkin maths.
I'm not sure where you get those charging times from but a single 14-50 can deliver up to 12kW. Even a modestly aerodynamic fairing gives you about 60Whr/km at highway speeds, so with an maximum distance of 125km you only need to top up about 7,5kWh to get back to 100% and less at your last charging stop depending on where you need to go in Tuscon.

With 12kW you're looking at about 36 minutes of charging time per stop, less if you have access to more. But even with CHAdeMO you're still looking at about half an hour at least because you can't go above 1C. Believe me I've tried it with CHAdeMO and you get marginally faster charging but give up so many potential locations that it's not worth it.

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 11:04:29 PM »

An aside, my read of the future of fast charging in the US suggests new non-Tesla vehicle designs should incorporate CCS.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 11:21:48 PM »

...and CHAdeMO stuff is also pretty heavy, my CHAdeMO topcase was anything but light.

So your CHAdeMO implementation must have been based on an AC charger? A "pure" CHAdeMO implementation should be pretty light.

That's the real advantage of DC charging, after all. Instead of building 1000 chargers for 1000 vehicles to carry around, build one charging station that all 1000 vehicles can use. Get the heavy, expensive, hot equipment off the vehicles and be able to charge any vehicle at its maximum rate, quickly and easily.

CHAdeMo is a bit of a failure at meeting those ideals (in large part because not all the stations obey the spec), but the general concept still seems like the ideal situation to me. I'm not familiar with the Tesla Supercharger or CCS protocols, but if they are adequately flexible, and it they're obeyed by all charging stations, they might both be very good solutions. I'm partial to the Tesla solution because of the amount of power they're able to achieve with a fairly small connector and cable, but it's extreme overkill for our bikes. I'm sure CCS is more than adequate for our needs, if someone works out a proper handshaking adapter and CCS continues to propagate quickly.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 11:07:22 PM »

So your CHAdeMO implementation must have been based on an AC charger? A "pure" CHAdeMO implementation should be pretty light.
No pure CHAdeMO, I just weighed it and is exactly 7kg.

That's the real advantage of DC charging, after all. Instead of building 1000 chargers for 1000 vehicles to carry around, build one charging station that all 1000 vehicles can use. Get the heavy, expensive, hot equipment off the vehicles and be able to charge any vehicle at its maximum rate, quickly and easily.

CHAdeMo is a bit of a failure at meeting those ideals (in large part because not all the stations obey the spec), but the general concept still seems like the ideal situation to me. I'm not familiar with the Tesla Supercharger or CCS protocols, but if they are adequately flexible, and it they're obeyed by all charging stations, they might both be very good solutions. I'm partial to the Tesla solution because of the amount of power they're able to achieve with a fairly small connector and cable, but it's extreme overkill for our bikes. I'm sure CCS is more than adequate for our needs, if someone works out a proper handshaking adapter and CCS continues to propagate quickly.
I do agree with you that DC is the best way to charge quickly on long travels and would love to have one factory installed on the bike.
That being said, DC is more for charging next to the motorway while you down a coffee and go again, AC still is the way to go if you plan to be somewhere for around an hour or so with your car. It is magnitudes cheaper to install than DC and works perfectly for supermarket visits and other general errant running.
Now we with our by comparison tiny bike batteries can capitalise on that already existing infrastructure to quickcharge,  whether you source it from AC or DC doesn't matter if you can't charge faster than 1C anyway and AC is everywhere.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 11:12:05 PM »

On that point, have you already started looking in if there are any plans to install at least an L2 charger in Columbus? The only way to green the charging desert fast is by your own actions, passively waiting won't help.

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 11:55:39 PM »

On that point, have you already started looking in if there are any plans to install at least an L2 charger in Columbus? The only way to green the charging desert fast is by your own actions, passively waiting won't help.

I wonder how practical it is to, instead of spending 30K+ on a DC charging bike, to spend 20K+ on an 11kW AC charging bike and contribute to have Tesla destination chargers or dub-jay chargers installed along your route.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 01:51:51 AM »

Heck, if you are part of the solution, you can help spec installs to make
sure non-wasteful charging is installed. 

NEMA 14-50 is way cheaper to install than J1772, and simple J1772
is way cheaper to install than cloud-connected metered stations
(I'm looking at you ChargePoint). 

In fact, J1772 stations can be higher powered than the usual 3Kw-6.7Kw
stations we usually find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

Hey, look, 19.2Kw.

For cheapest install, partner with a 24 hour business,
keep the key behind the counter, run the charging through
their cash register : - )  They may find the extra business
it diverts their way makes charging for power unnecessary.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 10:59:33 PM »

Maybe get together with a local business, sponsor a charger?

https://www.suncountryhighway.com/en/Product/Sponsor-a-Charger

Their SCH100 stations, up to 80-amp from a single J-plug, are very cool.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 [2]