• April 25, 2024, 05:27:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging in Japan  (Read 746 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Charging in Japan
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:34:18 AM »

Does anyone know if the Zero 2015 built-in charger can operate at 100V, the standard in Japan per Google? The manual says 120V - 220V

Thanks!
'15 Zero SR

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Charging in Japan
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:50:42 AM »

Onboard charger works in Japan. We have SCv2 users there as well. Do you know kishimoto San?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:52:58 AM »

Yes, he bought my SR earlier this year and now he received it in Japan and the charger is not working, I just got an email from his translator about it. I was trying to help them troubleshoot it. So, if 100V is OK, maybe the charger indeed died or some fuse or something else is broken ...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:45:11 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 01:21:44 AM »

Does he have access to higher voltage AC?

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:29:12 AM »

That's what I suggested they try as well. I don't even know if the charger "stopped working" after having worked a few times for him in Japan or never worked at all. All I know is that it worked the last time I charged it in the US before I shipped in May, and now does not... Hope they did not fully discharge the battery flat to damage it... My emails bounced overnight, so not sure if he got it ... Communication has been a bit challenging and slow due to time difference and I think a bit of a language barrier...

Maybe next time I manage to get in touch I'll direct them to this thread here for troubleshooting directly with the forum members...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:34:10 AM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 03:29:37 AM »

Zero's onboard chargers have issues breaking, you should ask Kishi about the super charger, it will run off of Japanese wall outlets and Pubnlic charging stations.

idaten39

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »

Hello, I am the one whom originally brought up this problem!

Kocho, Electric Cowboy, Erasmo, thank you so much for responding to this problem.

Great news is, Zero agreed to exchange the broken charger and we are working on it with LA dealer.

AC 100V (101 ± 6V 50hz/60hz), 1500w rating and amperage 15A(max 20A) in standard Japan homes.  With a contract & easy work by electrical company, we can get three-phase 200V at home.
Plus we have more than 14,000 charging spots(200V) here, no CHAdeMO though, quite convenient.

To Kocho: 
Thank you so much and sorry, my email box was full that time….
Your SR2015 didn’t work at first charging attempt in Japan.  Other our 7 of FXS and SR have no problem about charging.
Zero’s SR onboard chargers are using GreenWattPower(Calex), input operating range is 90-264V. 
No wiring and cable damages, no problem with connectors and pins. 
We tried to disassemble the charger to fix, and found out it’s molded and impossible to fix…
Thanks for DigiNow SCv2, it was no problem(for a while) about charging, we could charge at regular 200V charger station with J1772 plug.

TS for YK

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »

I am glad Zero will take care of it. The charger worked when I put it on the shipping truck to LA.

I am really curious what components fail on these chargers, is it some IC or something simpler like a capacitor or resistor or an internal fuse ...
'15 Zero SR

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 12:14:08 PM »

The Zero warranty is great for fixing the chargers if they have issues, but the best long term solution is an aftermarket charger as they give more power and better reliability.

Like I said though,  the Zero warranty is really good and will replace e the charger.
Pages: [1]