• April 27, 2024, 12:42:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tesla Florida owners got a battery boost  (Read 313 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Tesla Florida owners got a battery boost
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:03:46 AM »

According to a news report today, Tesla S and X owners in Florida received a free software update that allowed them to access more of their battery pack capacity so that they could get out of the state ahead of Irma without needing to find a Supercharger as often, if at all. I found it interesting that some owners can not access all of their battery capacity without an expensive software download. That means that they have been carrying around extra battery weight that was apparently useless to them.  ???

I just heard on the news that the battery upgrade software will vaporize on September 16 and the Tesla 75 kWh owners will be back to whatever range they had before the Irma rush.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:23:12 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Tesla Florida owners got a battery boost
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:55:11 AM »

Originally, Tesla was offering three battery capacities: 60 kWh, 75 kWh and 90 kWh. But they made a manufacturing decision to only make TWO battery packs, the 75 and 90. People who expressed in the 60 kWh battery pack were well educated that it was really a 75 kWh pack, but limited in software to 60 kWh. Obviously, Tesla tried to up-sell those customers to at least the 75 kWh battery pack, but some people still insisted on the smaller pack.

These are the people who got a bit of a boost. It was only the 60 kWh customers who got it, it's not going to last very long (I hear only through the 16th), and then the 60 kWh cap gets restored. All those customers still have the option of purchasing activation, which will (without any hardware work at all) give them a true 75 kWh battery.

It's also worth noting that Tesla stopped that practice some time ago. None of the cars they sell now are limited in firmware.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »

Great explanation, Doug S. 

This little quirk only affects a small number of early Tesla owners, but it is nice of Tesla to do.  Nobody would have noticed if they hadn't done it.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Hamisato

• sbobetonline24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »

I like your information a lot.
Pages: [1]