• April 24, 2024, 09:42:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2018 Nissan Leaf upgraded  (Read 506 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
2018 Nissan Leaf upgraded
« on: September 08, 2017, 04:02:29 AM »

According to an article in my newspaper today, the 2018 Nissan Leaf will have a maximum range of 150 miles, from a 40 kWh battery pack. The base model Leaf will have a sticker price of $29,990, while the higher-end models will start at $36,000.  Both prices are before any incentives or government rebates. Nissan says that the 2019 cars will offer more power and larger battery packs. (That doesn't seem like the best way to boost 2018 sales.  ??? )

The article says that the Leaf is the best selling EV in history, with more than 280,000 sold so far, including 112,000 sold in the U.S.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Ryan-Utah-FX

• View Profile
Re: 2018 Nissan Leaf upgraded
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:20:00 AM »

I saw the new 2018 Nissan Leaf news as well.  While it looks like it has some limited, semi-auto pilot capabilities; for not much more $ one can get a Chevy Bolt with way more range or wait to get a Tesla model 3.  I think the Leaf will have a much harder time selling like it did in the past.  I have a 2015 Leaf SL with a 3 year lease term that is just ending in a month or two and I can't imagine exercising my purchase option for around $ 15 K.  There are just better choices out there for me.  I might end up going with a new Hyundai Ioniq hybrid for around $ 22 K.  The Bolt sounds great, but I think I want something that could take me long distances if needed and I like the warranty and 58 mpg of the Ioniq.  I'm not sure which car I'll choose, but I need to choose something fairly soon. 

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:10:41 AM »

Re the larger battery to come in the 2019 model year, Nissan said it would be an e-Plus model, which I think means it will be more expensive than the existing trim levels. Tesla's done well offering multiple battery options at different price levels. I think Nissan will too. The 24kWh Leaf has served me well for commuting and around town. The new 40kWh version is going to expand the Leaf's market but there might even be a market for a 24kWh model if they can get the price low enough.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:21:11 AM »

I have a 2015 Leaf SL with a 3 year lease term that is just ending in a month or two and I can't imagine exercising my purchase option for around $ 15 K.

If you wait until they contact you a few weeks before the lease is up they'll offer you a much better deal. They offered to let me buy my 2014 coming off a three year lease for $9K (residual was $14K), but I decided to extend the lease instead. Also, I hear they're offering $10K discounts on 2017 models with the 30 kWh battery.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 07:13:30 AM »

Dont buy it out for 15k... its only worth about 7k. If they dont agree, you can go buy another for that much...

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »

Nissan is the only Major manufacturer that says electric is their future.
Then they come out with this. I can understand offering differing battery sizes,
but makes no sense to say "You think THIS is good, wait until NEXT year".
This is what other companies have done to get buyers to NOT buy this year's
offering, then, complaining that "NO ONE wants EVs." I have TRIED to like the
Leaf, but, not having liquid cooled and heated battery keeps being the deal breaker.
We had our Monthly EV meeting in Vegas today to correspond with the first day of
Drive Electric Week. The only support ( signs, brochures and SWAG ) was from Nissan.
There is so much advancement and so quickly, that it is hard to pull the trigger knowing
that your Forty Thousand Dollar Cell phone will be obsolete in 6 months. Then to have
the manufacturer point this out makes it even worse.

Ryan-Utah-FX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:11:01 AM »

Thanks for the info Alan and MrDude.  I appreciate the advice!  I'm thinking I'll likely go with a hybrid or plug-in hybrid.  I'm not wanting to spend much over $ 20 K.  Hopefully, I decide in the next few weeks.   :-\

cheesymac47

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 04:23:56 AM »

I saw the new 2018 Nissan Leaf news as well.  While it looks like it has some limited, semi-auto pilot capabilities; for not much more $ one can get a Chevy Bolt with way more range or wait to get a Tesla model 3.  I think the Leaf will have a much harder time selling like it did in the past.  I have a 2015 Leaf SL with a 3 year lease term that is just ending in a month or two and I can't imagine exercising my purchase option for around $ 15 K.  There are just better choices out there for me.  I might end up going with a new Hyundai Ioniq hybrid for around $ 22 K.  The Bolt sounds great, but I think I want something that could take me long distances if needed and I like the warranty and 58 mpg of the Ioniq.  I'm not sure which car I'll choose, but I need to choose something fairly soon.

Unlike others, I will advise you to start calling your dealer (because NMAC has handed this to the dealers) three months prior to end of lease. They can get rid of these units now, so if you wait to show interest, they aren't likely to cut a deal. As it is, we had enough taken off the residual that it was about equal to buying another on the used market (including other acquisition costs), but with a history of operation I knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]