• April 24, 2024, 11:14:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Making the Tesla Wall Connector v2 work with the DigiNow Tesla to J1772 adapter  (Read 3580 times)

MrDude_1

• View Profile

The story is that the new Tesla destination stations, all the ones installed in the last 6 months or so, require a 10+ second pause between Vehicle Present and Vehicle Ready To Charge.  I think Electric Terry was saying there's an outer limit, but I don't recall what it is.

Vehicle Present is represented by a diode and a 2.7k resistor from Pilot to Ground.  Vehicle Ready To Charge is represented by an additional 1.3k in parallel to the first.  (There's also a third state that requires ventilation for lead acid batteres, which is irrelevant to us.)

Up until now a lot of EVs have implemented J-inlet and T-inlet signalling by simply going straight to Vehicle Ready To Charge, a simple diode and resistor.  Cheap and simple.

I've implemented a manual delay between the states this by adding a switch with a rubber cover and a pair of 2.7k resistors that are brought in in parallel to the first 2.7k resistor and I've tested it at the only station I know of that requires the delay.  I normally have the switch in Ready To Charge (on), but if that fails, I unplug, switch to off (Vehicle Present), count eleven seconds in my head ("it goes to eleven!", haha), and switch to Ready To Charge. 

Mechanically, I potted the whole thing, in a little plastic container along with a 1/4 bolt for secure mounting.  I'll post a picture of one of my incarnations, and I assume the above is enough for you to google the schematics yourself.  I think the one from evtv is the clearest as to what's going on.

In my photo you'll see the connector, which matches the one on my T-inlet.  If your T-inlet doesn't have that connector, my little brick won't work for you.  I imagine the various vendors who make the T-inlets will be integrating a switch or a timer.

I'm not aware of any J1772 that require the delay, though honoring the two states is part of the protocol.  Let me know if you know of any.

is it really just a 10+ second delay on the new Tesla EVSE? Everything I read says theres something more to it.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile

Yes, I think so.

Anyone know of any confirmed SF Bay Area T-stations that
don't work with the aftermarket T-inlets? 

I've only tested with the one, in the parking garage under
a Holiday Inn Express, but both Luke and I have had success
with his "count to 11 then flip the switch" strategy.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• View Profile

Diode, "minus" to "pilot", "plus" end soldered to 3 x 2.7k ohm resistors.

Other end of one resistor, solder to ground.  This is "Vehicle Present" mode when switch is off.

1N4001 diode works, I used them in my first batch.  Second batch was 1N4007 which are more robust.  Resistor current is very small, even 1/8 watt resistors are fine.

One of those resistors to ground, two of those resistors through a switch to ground.  When all three resisitors connect to ground, we have Vehicle Ready To Charge and the big pins become *dangerous*.

All components use solid wire rather than stranded, so will fail if bent back and forth (vibration) so pot the whole thing so the wires don't bend repeatedly.  Be careful not to let the runny potting epoxy into the moving parts of the switch.  I learned that the hard way.

You could use 1.3k ohm resistor as depicted in most of the diagrams on the web, but 2 x 2.7K ohm in parallel is 1.35K ohm, keeps the BOM short.

Pictures follow.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:13:15 AM by togo »

togo

• View Profile

trim and then solder so the remaining two resistors are switched to ground.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:06:18 AM by togo »

togo

• View Profile

Potted and hardened. 

Switch facing in, Vehicle Present.

Switch facing out, ready to go, Vehicle Ready To Charge.

When I made this batch of six, four worked right away, two had epoxy in the switch, would not operate.

I haven't had any fail at the station yet.

Wolfsbane

• View Profile

Very nice. Do you still have any left from your four working models or are they all spoken for? Easier to snag one of yours than try building my own.

togo

• View Profile

I PM'd you, Wolfsbane.

CDragon

• View Profile

It's a shame Tesla doesn't even give that option in the installation manual. It only states that the second dip switch should ALWAYS be in the up position. I would have tried it sooner, in fact my electrician wanted to, but I was afraid of harming the wall connector by defying the instructions. So much for a company that loves to boast about its commitment to advancing sustainable transport for everyone and "open patents". 🙄

They don't describe it in the manual, but there is a hint at it in the label you see when you take off the TWC cover (attached).  It says down dip is "Communication: Legacy" and contact Tesla before using.

We've been talking about these new TWCs over here and I believe they moved to a new protocol not to reduce compatibility with other EVs but to increase features when daisy chaining TWCs to share a power source.  The protocol additions allow the TWC to communicate with a plugged Tesla to determine its charge state, and there is observational evidence that multiple TWCs connected together will use the charge state to give the car with the lowest charge the most power.

As people have discovered, it wasn't the new protocol that caused the DigiNow adapter to break but an enforcement of the J1772 state timing requirements with the dip switch up.  I remember reading there is a safety reason for those timing requirements but I can't seem to find it at the moment.  Other than the timing requirements, it looks like dip switch up remains backwards compatible with J1772.

Shocker

• View Profile

This thread is all about getting the DigiNow adapter to work with Tesla’s second generation EVSE correct? Because other Tesla to J1772 adapters are saying they work with Tesla’s 2nd Gen Wall Conector (destination charger).
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

togo

• View Profile

It's about getting Tesla stations to turn on, really.  Passing the
signal through, passively, also works, if the J1772 inlet has the delay
function.

In my case, the J1772 inlet provides ready to charge immediately,
and newer tesla stations require the delay.  Thus the circuit.

togo

• View Profile

It's a shame Tesla doesn't even give that option in the installation manual. It only states that the second dip switch should ALWAYS be in the up position. I would have tried it sooner, in fact my electrician wanted to, but I was afraid of harming the wall connector by defying the instructions. So much for a company that loves to boast about its commitment to advancing sustainable transport for everyone and "open patents". 🙄

They don't describe it in the manual, but there is a hint at it in the label you see when you take off the TWC cover (attached).  It says down dip is "Communication: Legacy" and contact Tesla before using.

We've been talking about these new TWCs over here and I believe they moved to a new protocol not to reduce compatibility with other EVs but to increase features when daisy chaining TWCs to share a power source.  The protocol additions allow the TWC to communicate with a plugged Tesla to determine its charge state, and there is observational evidence that multiple TWCs connected together will use the charge state to give the car with the lowest charge the most power.

As people have discovered, it wasn't the new protocol that caused the DigiNow adapter to break but an enforcement of the J1772 state timing requirements with the dip switch up.  I remember reading there is a safety reason for those timing requirements but I can't seem to find it at the moment.  Other than the timing requirements, it looks like dip switch up remains backwards compatible with J1772.

The delay also lets Tesla car update firmware from a station, I understand. 

Shocker

• View Profile

Ok thanks for the info. I am not nearly as savvy on electrical knowledge as some of you guys but I do have a Tesla 2nd generation wall charger in my garage. I’m thinking about purchasing a 2018 SR with the Charge Tank installed. That’s why I am interested in verifying if a Tesla to J1772 adapter will work on the new Zero Charge Tank. My Tesla wall charger is on a 100 amp circuit and internal switches set for the maximum of 80 amps to the car.  As I understand it, I can set that second dip switch to the down position and be Ok with charging the Zero at home using any Tesla to J1772 adapter. But if I were at another location that had a 2nd Gen Tesla wall charger and wanted to charge my Zero, (with permission of course), would I be able to with an adapter that is advertised to work with 2nd gen HPWC? Thanks for your help!

Shocker

• View Profile

Hi everyone,

I purchased a 2018 SR with charge tank a couple weeks ago and love it. The range is just great for me going back-and-forth to work, I have a 70 mile round-trip and end up with about 20 to 28% battery left when I get home. Aggressive riding the entire way does make a big difference. That would be the 20%.

I have a Tesla wall charger at home and there’s a destination charger and my workplace. I purchased the Tesla Tap adapter to be able to use them, (have permission at work) but neither location is working for me with the adapter. I follow the instructions which says to put the adapter on the Tesla plug and wait 30 seconds for the “handshake” and then plug the J1772 plug into the bike. It seems to start to charge, I see the blinking charge light for 10 seconds or so and then the bikes blinking charge light shuts down. A fan comes on and then quits as well.  Curiously the Tesla Wall chargers light is strobing like it is charging but the bike is showing no charge going to it. Just to make sure I left the bike in that state for about an hour to see if it was actually charging when it didn’t look like it was, but it wasn’t. After an hour there was no greater charge on the bike.  I haven’t switched the right-hand DIP switch down yet in my charger at home because this adapter is supposed to bypass and take care of that. I will try that this weekend.  I just wondered if anybody had any clues or has experienced this themselves. Thanks for any help.

Burton

• View Profile

Shocker,
Are you turning the bike ON before attaching the J1772 ?

Also, I think EC makes an adapter for Telsa ports which does work with the charger ;)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube

Hey guys, I think Morgan is filling people in on the tesla plugs.

But also, here are the basics :

1) not all the vendors are building them according to the spec which is both serial and J1772.
2) JDapter is not built 100% correctly, it will work on many stations though.
*3) You can purchase the DIY kit from us for USD $100
4) we do also offer Tesla inlet as primary inlet for the chargers
5) we do also offer Tesla pigtail quick swap for J1772 inlets
6) we do also offer a J1772 gun pigtail (which can be connected with NEMA 14-50, TT-30, Tesla etc.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3