• April 26, 2024, 08:49:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: are zero seats comfortable?  (Read 3053 times)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
are zero seats comfortable?
« on: September 02, 2017, 05:08:23 AM »

I've read several comments about uncomfortable stock seats. I have absolutely no complaints about comfort (2016 SR). Could those of you who find your  seat uncomfortable post a few words as to what/why? If you're willing, please include any or all of: your bike year/model; your height; your weight. Also for those who have Corbin seats, why do you find them so comfortable (I've never read a comment that didn't praise them)?
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: are zero seats comfortable?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:50:15 AM »

I've read several comments about uncomfortable stock seats. I have absolutely no complaints about comfort (2016 SR). Could those of you who find your  seat uncomfortable post a few words as to what/why? If you're willing, please include any or all of: your bike year/model; your height; your weight. Also for those who have Corbin seats, why do you find them so comfortable (I've never read a comment that didn't praise them)?
Depends on how you ride it. I'm sure long distance touring makes a big difference. The only time I really even noticed the seat on my FX was when I rode it nearly 50 miles in one go. 13 mile commute, no problem.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 06:31:47 AM »

My 2014 Zero S seat is way too hard for me.  After only 30 minutes it gets painful.  The seat material needs to be softer and the seat thicker.  I solved the problem by installing an Air Hawk seat pad.  Still, it was better than the seat on my former 2012 Zero S and replacing it with a Corbin seat didn't help much.   :(  Hopefully, the seats of the latest models are an improvement.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 07:02:48 AM »

stock 2016 DSR seat after 18300 miles it doesn't sit me far enough back I am 5-ft+10-in long and 30-in inseam. Also the seat is a little skinny and I'm on the skinny side of human people.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:17:41 AM »

I own 8 motorcycles and the worse seat of them all are my two Zeros and by far.  My 1971 BMW used to be my hardest seat until I got the Zeros.

However, by the time the seat really starts to feel bad is when I need to recharge, so it's not a big deal. I don't consider the Zero's to be touring cycles.

But IMO, the Zero seat is the worse all the way around. Even the way it mounts. The seat is the worse part of the bike, IMO.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »

The seat is too hard on my '15 SR but only for longer rides which are not possible anyway. My Honda's seat gats a lot of criticism but even it is better than the SR's seat. With the Zero's limited range my rides are usually just about over by the time I'm getting sore.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »

I don't need to pile on about the seat being hard and thin as has already been stated. The "passenger" portion though, holy sheet! I'm glad I don't carry a passenger.    ::)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:29:08 AM by droidish »
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »

Gyrocyclist, you ride on a god awful torture device on a road bicycle same as I used to.  That makes you pretty tough in that area.  Once you retire and soften up (and gain weight) you'll see that the Zero seat is indeed harsh.  I have put my padded bike shorts on under my pants when I know I'm going to be on for a while.  It helps!

higster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »

2017 DSR - Stock seat is rubbish.  The front section is rock hard and the profile means it has a hard ridge on the top (running front to back).  As you slide back on the seat there is another obvious ridge whcih runs across the seat so you have to then slide further back to get over this, then the back section is actually rather comfy.  If like me you are a shorter rider the seat is not good, but I imagine for taller riders who can stay on the back part of the seat (not the pillion part) then it might be OK.  I have a 50 minute comute each day, and I often get a numb bum by the end of the journey.  If I could get a custom replacement at a sensible cost here in the UK I would, however I don't think the problem warrents an outlay of £500.

LateLifeCrises

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »

I have a 2015 Zero S and after an hour it feels like I have been on a horse all day. I bought a Corbin seat but other than looking nicer it was no better than the stock seat.
Recently I purchased an Air Hawk seat and have found it to be a definite improvement. The stock seat offers no incentive to buy a fast charger i.e. I can't wait to recharge my bike and ride another 80 miles!

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 11:18:37 PM »

I cant comment. After over a decade of daily driving sportbikes, zeros are cushy.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 02:09:36 AM »

I've expanded the seat ergonomics section to link to this thread:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Ergonomics#Seat
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 02:14:45 AM »

I do not find Zero seats to be satisfactory; it's worth noting that my prior preference is for the 2012 V-Strom 650 which has a relatively cushy gel stock seat meant for highway travel and some light offroading.

I do own a Corbin seat and paid the early-adopter price to get that (which was lower than now). The Corbin seat works for days with 450+ miles of travel.

The stock seat is uncomfortable after 45 minutes for me, weighing 155lb, and I concur with higster that if you can move your butt to the passenger seat, it helps reduce knee bend and get a little more comfort out of the stock saddle.

I have used an Air Hawk in the past, and do recommend it, but found it a little difficult to fasten to a Zero seat because of the cabling running under it where the straps would cross.

It doesn't help that the Zero seat has no quick-release functionality.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 07:15:35 AM »

Stock 16' SR was painful after 50 mi. Passenger part was even worse. Had a custom seat made locally and it was a huge improvement, more than for passenger than for me, mainly because I have to scoot forward to give her room, and there is not that much room for added foams up front. Still, I can now do 100mi before the pain starts. For those long trips, the Airhawk works excellent.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 10:30:18 PM »

The main issue I have with the seat on my DSR is that the pattern seems to hold on to rain-water very well, until it delivers all of it to my pants when I get on. :P
Pages: [1] 2