• April 26, 2024, 08:50:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New sport-touring fairing coming from Hollywood Electrics?  (Read 2901 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: New sport-touring fairing coming from Hollywood Electrics?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »

> Thanks for the interest. The fairing that Terry is using is a final production unit, ...

I saw it in person yesterday.  Sharp.  I like how you followed the lines of the pincers.

So I hear there will be stock colors as well as custom paint jobs?

> ... as are the fairings on the race bike. ...

And where can this race bike be seen?  Do you keep it at your dealership between races?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »

I've added a section for this on the wiki:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Full_Fairings

Here are the race versions (without a headlamp cutout) with non-FB links:

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »

Harlan/anyone,
From the (obviously non-final) pics, this looks more like a quarter-fairing rather than a traditional sport-touring half- or full-fairing.
What're the primary targets here? Wind-free pocket for the rider? Rain protection?
What's the effect on range at highway speeds (70mph)? For me, a significant improvement there would be needed to justify a fairing.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 10:49:55 AM »

Harlan/anyone,
From the (obviously non-final) pics, this looks more like a quarter-fairing rather than a traditional sport-touring half- or full-fairing.
What're the primary targets here? Wind-free pocket for the rider? Rain protection?
What's the effect on range at highway speeds (70mph)? For me, a significant improvement there would be needed to justify a fairing.

Terry is running around with one. It seems to be about increased comfort and drag reduction with about a solid 15% highway range recovery/increase.

I, too, would like a fuller fairing for smoothing the air around my legs and feet and shielding them from the weather, but Harlan's goal was to complement the existing styling of the bike and be reasonable for owners to install themselves.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 03:25:19 PM »

Terry is running around with one. It seems to be about increased comfort and drag reduction with about a solid 15% highway range recovery/increase.

I, too, would like a fuller fairing for smoothing the air around my legs and feet and shielding them from the weather, but Harlan's goal was to complement the existing styling of the bike and be reasonable for owners to install themselves.
Actually, 15% for a quarter-fairing isn't bad at all... I'll be following this one.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »

Hey Harlan...........don't forget about us FX/S riders.  There's not a lot of good windscreen options out there at the moment so we could use your help.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:47:23 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:02 AM »

Jeremiah Johnson just rode my bike to Mexico alongside 3 other Zero's and a Brammo.  The Brammo would always run out at about 50 miles and have to make everyone else stop.  The 2017 Zero bikes both had charge tanks, so no power tank, just 13 kWh and at highway speeds would usually have 20% SOC remaining, and Jeremiah on my bike with exactly 26 kWh for the trip would have about 65-70% remaining.  However he did have the fairing also.  So it looks like again he was consistently getting about 15% better range because of the fairing going the same highway speeds side by side with other Zero's for over 1000 miles.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »

Jeremiah Johnson just rode my bike to Mexico alongside 3 other Zero's and a Brammo.  The Brammo would always run out at about 50 miles and have to make everyone else stop.  The 2017 Zero bikes both had charge tanks, so no power tank, just 13 kWh and at highway speeds would usually have 20% SOC remaining, and Jeremiah on my bike with exactly 26 kWh for the trip would have about 65-70% remaining.  However he did have the fairing also.  So it looks like again he was consistently getting about 15% better range because of the fairing going the same highway speeds side by side with other Zero's for over 1000 miles.

Nice, but he would also get extra losses due to the 2 extra batteries on the side, so it could be possible to get an even bigger increase for a standard bike.
Pages: 1 [2]