Makes And Models > KTM Electric Forum

KTM Freeride e (vs 2.8 fx)

(1/1)

odedmaz:
My take on the KTM Freeride E (vs the Zero FX 2.8). Also posted on facebook.

Had a chance to test ride the freeride e for an hour in a motocross track while visiting Austria. I rode the MX version, so it have no dash board.

1. Ergonomics - the freeride is narrow and low. I am tall at 1.9m and reach with both legs flat footed. My fx is heightened and feels more roomy (raised seat, lowered footpegs, large diameter tires & bar risers). The freeride height provide a lot of confidence, especially to new riders.
2. Suspension & brakes - no competition here. I have upgraded the fastace shocks, and they work well. However the KTM's suspension is butter smooth. Perhaps a bit too soft for motocross or street riding.
Rear brake is controlled by a left hand brake lever, and feels just as good as mine (installed a Magura left hand brake on my FX). Front brake have a lot of feel to it. Very similar to the 2015+ front brakes.
3. Noise - the freeride is chain driven, so noisier than the belt equipped Zero. However, my (and others) chain equipped Zero is louder. Perhaps the large rear sprocket is the cause?
4. Power - can't really say because the bike was set to level 1 (weakest) , and for someone coming from a Zero, it was weak! For safety reasons the power level could not be changed. Just for comparison - if you take your Zero's customs torque to the lowest settings, it is still much stronger.
5. Battery - after exactly 60 minutes of very sedate motocrossing, the battery died. I don't do motocross with the FX, but I think it will last longer with one battery for that power level.
Also, the charger is external. There are pro's and con's. It makes the bike lighter, but is also less practical.
There is another 12v battery which is odd, and another component to worry about.

I was a bit disappointed with it, mostly due to its low height, but still need to test ride the full power mode.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ireek:
Thanks for the comparison, shame you had to ride in level 1, it seems hard to sell bikes letting demo rides only be ridden in level 1, I bet it's because the range would have suffered greatly, this just a guess, they probably weren't set up to charge that many bikes at a time.  I guess a true motocross track would consume more energy than a normal woods ride so maybe it's not so bad, I'd still like to hear about full power in comparison to the FX though...  Thanks again!!

odedmaz:
The track is part of an amusement park for adults, called "area 47".
They limit the power for safety reasons (probably range as well as you mentioned)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ireek:
Googled area 47, man, I could spend a week there...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version