• April 25, 2024, 03:59:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: tire suggestions: rear 2016 SR  (Read 1280 times)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
tire suggestions: rear 2016 SR
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:45:54 AM »

Summary:
I need a new rear tire for 2016 SR. What are alternatives to the stock tire?
My priorities, from highest to lowest:
  - durability/reliability/safety
  - price
  - performance

Should I just go with stock tires, or is there something better?

Discussion:
I know there's been discussions of this before, but unf I find the search feature on
this forum unfriendly - or perhaps I don't know how to correctly phrase:
"tires SR [but exclude DSR, and only return results that include both terms."

Longer story:
Well, rear tire is flat after ~6K miles. I noticed something like a tack -- head the size
of a pin -- a couple of months ago. Decided to ignore it, 'cause pulling it out would
likely make things worse. Pulling out for a ride today the bike felt odd. Yep, rear tire
down to 10 PSI. So time to replace.

Unofficial wiki:
Section on removing the wheel was straight forward. I had a lot of questions about the
"install" section, e.g, why all the bullets about the brake caliper, when that's not mentioned
at all during removal? But after working through the removal, it made sense.
I finally got to use my "Pit Bull SS Rear Stand" which I bought a couple of months
ago, sort of on a whim (highly recommended)
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: tire suggestions: rear 2016 SR
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:09:54 AM »

I recently installed a Michelin Pilot Street Radial on my 2014S.  It seems like a decent tire, probably better than the IRC Road Whiner that came stock on my bike and lasted 11K miles.  The Street Radial is OEM on several of the Japanese bikes in the 250-300cc range. However, I don't know how many miles I will get out of it, but it seems to stick and corner better than the original tire.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »

I recently installed a Michelin Pilot Street Radial on my 2014S.

I recently installed a Michelin Pilot Street Radial on my 2016SR, yesterday in fact. Actually the dealer installed it. That's all they had for my bike that wasn't already allocated to other buyers. The dealer said it should handle and wear about the same. The tread pattern looks like it will pump out water better than the stock Pirelli.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:14 AM »

Unofficial wiki:
Section on removing the wheel was straight forward. I had a lot of questions about the
"install" section, e.g, why all the bullets about the brake caliper, when that's not mentioned
at all during removal? But after working through the removal, it made sense.

Putting together the "stack" of stuff for a rear wheel on a swingarm that also has an ABS sensor is something that took time for me to master on my V-Strom 650, so I tried to take extra time detailing that. Also, a friend and I walked through their belt change in detail recently which helped underscore what to explain.

BUT, it sounds like a sentence or two up front would clarify why there's so much detail in there; it's mainly to help the reader out who hasn't done it before to avoid frustration or confusion.

Also, it sucks that this is exactly the kind of procedure where taking a bunch of photos is inconvenient because your hands are dirty from grease and road/tire grime. And it may be that it's inherently hard to photograph this process in a useful way.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »

Hi,

I am so glad you asked.

I have had 5 rear tires on my 2015 SR, three front tires (25,000 miles). I am not a fan of the stock Pirelli rear tires. I have had two rear punctures (2 separate tires) at about 3,000 miles each time and there was plenty of tread at the time the punctures occurred. I find that quite odd.

I recommend Dunlop GPR 300 Sportmax. I got ~9,000 miles off the rear tire which is quite good. They handle great but the main reason I like them so much is that they are super smooth and comforatble on the road...it only adds to the magic carpet feel of the motorcycle.

Currently I use the Pirelli front (long wear, good handling and 2 compound) with Dunlop rear and I love the combination. I will try a front Dunlop next time I need to change the front.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:56:19 AM »

I'm running Bridgestone Battlax BT45 on my 2014 SR and am very happy with them.  First a rear (May of '16) and a full set last month.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 04:53:57 AM »

I went with the Dunlop Sportmax GPR300 tire, ordered from revzilla. Was amazed that the tire was delivered to my front doorstep within 36 hours. Great local shop installed the tire for $25. Got the wheel back on, and believe all parts are correctly assembled (wasn't that difficullt, though it was counter-intuitive that the speed sensor (round thingy) is sandwhiched between the caliper body and the wheel. It just looks like it should be on the outside of something). Haven't torqued the wheel, as I'm waiting for the gates belt tensioner I ordered to be delivered (later today?).

Only thing I noticed: the belt is riding against the flange. It's supposed to be centered (1mm on each side?). I do that by hand, rotating the wheel, but then I turn the wheel a few times and it goes back against the flange. I don't know if this is an issue/problem.

Thanks to all for your pointers and suggestions.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 05:19:27 AM »

Only thing I noticed: the belt is riding against the flange. It's supposed to be centered (1mm on each side?). I do that by hand, rotating the wheel, but then I turn the wheel a few times and it goes back against the flange. I don't know if this is an issue/problem.

You might be able to get the belt to ride with a gap to the flange by adding small differences between and left and right side axle alignment. Start by moving the left side forward by a mark width and see if that has an effect.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 02:22:08 AM »

The belt has always been up against the flange on my bike, I assumed it was normal.
perspective, use it

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 04:22:10 AM »

I too need a rear on my 16' SR. However, I'm looking for a tire that has great life in the middle of the tire. I don't lean the bike like a typical sportbike rider so I'm on the center of the tire most of the time. The rest of my tire is in mint condition but the middle is flat. Any suggestions?

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 04:39:21 AM »

The belt has always been up against the flange on my bike, I assumed it was normal.
There should be a gap to the outside of (but not more than) about 1mm or the thickness of a note card. Not exactly centered;  I ran a belt more exactly centered on the wheel sprocket and it failed from uneven wear. Now I try to align with a slight gap to the outside, but no more than that.

Causemoi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 08:36:35 PM »

I need to replace rear with same characteristics as dukecola on my '16 SR.

c-fut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »

I have a '16 S with the original Pirelli Sport Demons. I just replaced the rear tire today that had 25935 miles on it with about a 16th of an inch of tire left to the wear bar. I use my bike mainly for commuting in traffic. I am trying the Michelin Pilot streets this time around.
2016 Zero S ZF13.0

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »

continental tkc tyres are the best for handling and durability hands down, i love em.
Pages: [1] 2