• April 25, 2024, 12:27:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just put a deposit down on a Super Moto....  (Read 2292 times)

Judaslefourbe

• View Profile
Re: Just put a deposit down on a Super Moto....
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 11:20:39 PM »

For reference, we have an employee here who commutes from Brisbane to Campbell without issue (45 miles roughly).
Full disclosure, he doesn't take highway all the way.

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 05:10:37 AM »

For reference, we have an employee here who commutes from Brisbane to Campbell without issue (45 miles roughly).
Full disclosure, he doesn't take highway all the way.

Maybe some bikes go farther than others, I'm just telling you my experience with my bike.  I can ride 2 miles to the store, mostly downhill and take the back way home about 5 additional miles, all at speeds of 40-50 mph and I'd be looking at around 75-80% battery life left when I return home, granted a lot of the trip is up hill on the way back but not a mountain by any means.  I'm going to ride again tomorrow and try to ride fairly conservatively on level 2.  I have yet to take mine on the highway (65mph), I am certain that would zap the battery in a hurry.  I am very happy with the bike, it's the funnest bike I've ridden and I've ridden them all, but, it's such a performance bike in the suspension, brakes and power, that it's hard not to ride it fast, when ridden hard, the party is over pretty quick.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:41:43 AM by Ireek »

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »

Okay, just went out for a maximum distance ride and this is my results.  Full charge, 78 degrees ambient temp, tire pressure, 34 rear-32 front, 205 lbs body weight with gear.  Rode completely in mode 1, never even close to full throttle, always at very conservative throttle openings, mostly flat back roads with only slight hills, max speed of 47mph, mostly 43mph, 1.8 mile highway stint of a flat 55 mph on flat ground, half bar remaining at finish, 41.9 mile total trip achieved.  Started at 129.3 miles, finished at 171.2 on odometer.  I think this gives me a good baseline of how far I can go if I really try to stretch it, after reading reports of longer distances achieved by others here, I'm a tad disappointed, maybe it's my 205 lb body weight that hurts me, not sure. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:22:57 AM by Ireek »

EliteMotorsports

• Alta Motors dealer in Colorado
    • View Profile
    • Elite Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 03:44:34 AM »

For the record, the 70-mile run that I was able to do on the Alta was an out and back with 45mph sections to get to the canyon and a good chunk of downhill on the way back. I weigh 162 lbs which definitely helps with the distance. This ride was fairly conservative and I was not pushing the bike very hard, the battery drains much quicker when I do push it though. I have been commuting about 20 miles per day on the bike (stop and go traffic with a short stretch (maybe three miles) of 55mph both ways) and have had about three-quarters of the battery remaining when I get home.
Scott
Elite Motorsports
970-461-1022
elitektm.com
1400 E. Eisenhower Blvd.
Loveland, CO 80537

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 05:45:56 AM »

I'm still figuring mine out, I almost find that it gets about the same range in higher levels, even in level 4 on and off the throttle at medium throttle openings, the ride I mentioned above was very conservative throttle openings but fairly constant, when riding in more congested areas, even in higher modes, it does get pretty good mileage, I still don't think it'll ever see over 50 miles on one charge but it's not really advertised to do any more and I'm no lightweight, so I'm happy with the range.  I think in the end, I'm just going to ride it how I want and not worry about the range too much, there are other electric bikes I could have bought with longer range but I wanted pure performance, if I know I'm taking a longer trip, I'll just ride my Duke or Africa Twin. 

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 11:51:31 PM »

I am curious about offroad range.  When average speed is like 15mph.  That seems so slow by comparison to street or more open offroad, but that's what we got in tight woods. 

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 02:56:53 AM »

I am curious about offroad range.  When average speed is like 15mph.  That seems so slow by comparison to street or more open offroad, but that's what we got in tight woods.

According to the guys I bought my SM from, about 4 hours for an average rider and about 2 hours for more advanced guys, some one correct me if I'm wrong, I think in real tight stuff, 3-4 hours would be realistic.  I love my street legal super moto but have said more than once that I think the platform they have is best suited for off road use, it could be ridden fast in lower power modes, I could not imagine using map 4 (fastest) in the woods, it's a ton of power!

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 06:37:52 AM »

At a steady speeds, especially 40 mph and over, I’d think aerodynamics would be more important than weight with regards to range. Weight will hurt you accelerating up to speed and climbing hills. How tall are you guys?
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

speedkills

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »

For whatever it’s worth, I took mine out today and managed 41 miles and when I got back the batter had one bar left (< 10% from the looks of it).  I babied it, had to do 12 miles of highway but drove on the right never getting over 45mph while cars flew by me.  Most of the riding was around 25-35mph.  This was actually just a range test as a friend invited me on a ride that is about 50 miles and I wanted to be sure I could make it.  Glad I double checked. 

It’s a super fun bike but I would be hard pressed to recommend anyone else buy one until there is a fast charger sorted for it.  The battery is so small if I could ride 40 miles, plug it into a Tesla charger and be ready to ride again in 15 minutes, then that would make the tiny range acceptable but as it is this is definitely a niche bike.  Tons of fun, and I wanted to support the electric bike industry to help it grow, but the 8 hour charge time.....it’s rough.

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »

For whatever it’s worth, I took mine out today and managed 41 miles and when I got back the batter had one bar left (< 10% from the looks of it).  I babied it, had to do 12 miles of highway but drove on the right never getting over 45mph while cars flew by me.  Most of the riding was around 25-35mph.  This was actually just a range test as a friend invited me on a ride that is about 50 miles and I wanted to be sure I could make it.  Glad I double checked. 

It’s a super fun bike but I would be hard pressed to recommend anyone else buy one until there is a fast charger sorted for it.  The battery is so small if I could ride 40 miles, plug it into a Tesla charger and be ready to ride again in 15 minutes, then that would make the tiny range acceptable but as it is this is definitely a niche bike.  Tons of fun, and I wanted to support the electric bike industry to help it grow, but the 8 hour charge time.....it’s rough.

I had about exactly the same results from mine, I'm sort of broad shouldered and 205 lbs so maybe not the best test subject due to resistance. After my mileage experiment a week or so ago riding much like you did, I actually put mine up for sale only to withdraw it shortly thereafter.  Faster charging would sure be nice for this bike.  I have a few other bikes so I have options on what to ride and where, I wish I could see more and do more with the Redshift for sure, especially in my area of the country that is more spread out, but, the bike is so fun to ride that I've learned to live with it's limited capacities.  I'm now riding the bike how I want and it gets similar mileage, I ride it mostly on level 4, twist when I want and slow when I want, this is slightly surprising to me and makes it more acceptable.  I think the MX is a much easier bike to promote for Alta, when you introduce a "streetbike" to the line up, a whole new dynamic is created, I'm confident Alta will make steps to make the SM a little more friendly to live with day in and day out.  Don't give up on your SM, it is a special machine, we are in at the ground floor on this bike, it'll only get better.  Meanwhile, bring on the wheelies and shenanigans...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:43:12 AM by Ireek »
Pages: 1 [2]