• April 25, 2024, 04:40:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero belt drive question  (Read 2431 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: Zero belt drive question
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 12:46:24 AM »

In my time, I've owned three belt-driven motorcycles besides my current Zero; all three of them Buells.  I'm a little curious about the Zero's belt and why it needs so frequent adjustments.  ...

Needs frequent adjustments?  Not so much, really.  My first belt lasted 13000 miles.  In the future I'll make sure to adjust it every time I change my tires at least, and check it better (I was checking it wrong).
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 12:50:56 AM »

Well, the belt is right on that rear flange, but I have no idea how to adjust it from side-to-side... only the tension.

Imbalance between the left and right position shift the belt.  Adjust the position slightly.  IIRC right forward pulls it right toward the wheel, and right back pulls it left toward the flange, but I might have it backwards. 

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 08:04:56 PM »

Well since I'm dealing with this at the moment I'll drop my story on here.  I'm coming up on 19,000 miles on my 13 DS so I ordered a new belt since some guys were having trouble getting them quickly so I could change it before any issues started.  Belt came in about a week to GA and I called to set up a belt change service (drop off Thur pick up Sat).  They were backed up so it would be later the next week, motorcycles don't run on Sun or Mon of course.
So I get a call and the guy says the mech looked at the two belts and the old one showed almost no wear at all.  He then warned me its a three hour job and will run over $300 on top of the $100 for the belt.  I asked him to look at a few small things on the bike but I'd wait on the belt swap.
Just for data gathering I avoid the rain at all costs, ride in eco on back roads which makes life easier on the belt too.  I have never touched the adjustment nuts.  I have taken the rear wheel off a few times and put it back on myself with no alignment issues.  I've never heard any rubbing or clicking noises and the only reason I went to have it changed was Zero's recommendation to change it at 18,000 miles.

I think the fly in the ointment may be the set screw on the swing arm nut, a tiny 2.5mm allen screw that the service guy was complaining about.  Its really hard to get to :( he said, still not a tree hour job in my opinion.  A drilled bolt and castle nut with a pin may have been a better way to go but that's water under the bridge.

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »

He then warned me its a three hour job and will run over $300 on top of the $100 for the belt.

It took my dealer close to one hour and I don't think I paid over $200 total.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »

No more than an hour of actual work time on my patio with hand tools. Don't forget the Loc-Tite. Belt cost about $80, drop shipped to my home.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Clay
DoD #2160,6

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »

Mine 2016 DSR belt half-failed this morning at 17600mi while giving the throttle a whack in sport mode.

Teeth look like "The Great Wave off Kanagawa". Made it to work. Riding home I lose acceleration and there's a shocking roar from my motor sprocket - and I kind of wonder "What the hell was that me? Did my bike make a noise?" I penguin walk it a bit and go gently in eco mode, and the bike kinda accelerates unless I come to a full stop. Make it home.

Glad I carry a spare belt.

Takes maybe 40 minutes to swap and align new belt. Super easy using a center stand to lift bike and bungee cord to support rear wheel. I optioned to keep the rear axle in place and remove only the foot brake pivot bolt, left/right swingarm bolts, and left side two bolts of that wheel top plastic mud shield thing to allow me to thread out the old belt and replace with spare.

I would note that I ride the hell out of my DSR and the belt has spat out numerous rocks and chunks of mud over its useful lifetime. 16k-17k miles seems to be on the low side for belt lifetime, but it is not a particularly expensive part and if you wear out a set of tires perhaps you'd want to at least have a spare belt handy if not change it then and there.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 12:37:23 AM »

Did any of you have to deal with rubbery gunk in the motor sprocket like I did?

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 12:50:06 AM »

Did any of you have to deal with rubbery gunk in the motor sprocket like I did?

Not in the motor sprocket, but I did have to clean what I think was junk from road work in my wheel sprocket. It roughed up my belt enough that I had it replaced.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR
Pages: 1 [2]