• April 27, 2024, 10:01:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: plug corrosion and sparking  (Read 814 times)

jpaulus

• View Profile
plug corrosion and sparking
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:38:14 AM »

Hey all,

I'm using a standard charging cable for my 2013 S and I've heard a sparking sound when plugging it in occasionally.  Now that I look inside I see a lot of corrosion in the plug (see attached.)  What can I use to clean this out?  This lead to one of my 2 charging cables getting blown out and the second is now showing signs of damage.

thanks,
Jack

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
Re: plug corrosion and sparking
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:57:15 AM »

A small file on the contacts to remove just enough foreign material to make them shiny again. A flat screwdriver or flat knife to scrape clean the plastic parts.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:42 AM »

Also, from now on, always plug into the bike first, making sure the connection is solid, before plugging into the wall. When disconnecting, it isn't as important which order you use if you charge to 100% and the app shows no current flow. But it's good practice, and essential if disrupting a charge, to unplug from the wall first.
2020 Zero SR/S

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 01:31:43 AM »

Wow, that AC inlet's seriously burnt - I'd replace it ASAP.  This one may work, or a Kobiconn  R-301SN(01) looks like it will snap right in but has screw/solder terminals (yours may use .25" spade terminals, I don't know).  If you can get a part number from that one I can get you a source for it.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:56:47 AM »

Where can I get replacement charging cables?  I don't see any on Zero's web site.

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:30:51 AM »

Read this for guidance: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#Spare_Onboard_Charger_Power_Cables You can find replacement cables at Amazon and Monoprice.
2020 Zero SR/S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:04:57 AM »

I agree that the inlet should be replaced; the dealer should have a part to order for it but ray's suggestion sounds reasonable if you have the skills.

Also see http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Problems#Charging for general guidance about how to maintain the inlet and cord so they last longer.

There are specific sprays and fluids labeled Contact Cleaner worth using on the prongs once in a while to keep them usable.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 05:07:28 AM »

There's also a wiki/manual section specifically on charging reliability recommendations:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Charger_Operation
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 11:21:39 PM »

Where can I get replacement charging cables?  I don't see any on Zero's web site.
Monoprice is your best choice now. Or just look in your drawers, fat change that you have an old computer cable lying around.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:39:16 AM »

Monoprice is your best choice now. Or just look in your drawers, fat change that you have an old computer cable lying around.

PCs rarely draw the kind of amperage our Zeros do.  I checked all of my cables and none of them are nearly as "thick" as the cord that came with the bike, despite having the same kind of connector.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 12:55:55 AM »

PCs rarely draw the kind of amperage our Zeros do.  I checked all of my cables and none of them are nearly as "thick" as the cord that came with the bike, despite having the same kind of connector.
The acceptable amperage should be stamped in the cable. 16A should be enough for 110V but if you're smart enough to have 220V 6A will suffice.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 02:03:58 AM »

> > PCs rarely draw the kind of amperage our Zeros do.  I checked all of my cables and none of them are nearly as "thick" as the cord that came with the bike, despite having the same kind of connector.

> The acceptable amperage should be stamped in the cable. 16A should be enough for 110V ...

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5292

Looks like their 14 gauge as listed as 15 amp.

But 1300 watts at 110vac is only 11.8 amp, 10.4 amp at 125vac.

> ... but if you're smart enough to have 220V 6A will suffice.

I use a skinnier cable on 220vac and it's great.  If I try to use it on 110v, it does get a little warm, I only do that in emergencies to get me enough juice to get me to the J-plug or Nema 14-50 station, and in these cases I'm checking it.

Another option is to get C13-C14 extensions and an wall outlet adapter.  That gives you more flexibility as you can also carry other adapters to C14 but only one set of cables, so you could e.g. plug into an RV outlet, or a welder,  oven or dryer outlet.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1]