• March 28, 2024, 09:04:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which Would You Choose?  (Read 1245 times)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: Which Would You Choose?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 12:03:42 AM »

The most important thing for long rides is the charging speed. The capacity of the additional PowerTank can be used once a day, while recharging lets you use the same capacity multiple times a day.

Lenny, the power tank is good only once a day??? Explain how that works. If you charge up a 13kw battery you go X number of miles, if you charge up a 16.3kw battery you go Y number of miles. Every time you recharge you can either go X or Y miles. Why would you choose X because Y "can only be used once a day"?

Heres a simple example.
Take your two bikes, Bob buys the 13kw bike with a fast charger and Tim buys the 16.3kw bike with the stock charger.
They both get excited with their new bikes and run them down to near 0%.
Bob goes only 80 miles before having to plug in.
Tim gets to go 100 miles before also plugging in.
Bob waits between 40mins and 3 hours (depending on which fast charger he has) and is at 85-100%...   he goes off and rides another 50 to 80 miles.
Tim waits at home for 3 hours. his bike is 37% charged.
Bob then plugs in again, charges in another 40min to 3h and goes and rides another 50-80mi
Tim has been waiting 6hours to ride. his bike is 75% charged.
Bob plugs in again, and about an hour later Tim asks him to go riding.
Even though bob has already ridden 240+ high speed miles today, Bob is partially charged(or full, depending on charger) and can go meet Tim.

They both can ride again, and the cycle repeats.

Now, if Tim was at work or sleeping for those 8 hours... its no big deal.
If Tim was on a road trip, and is spending this sitting around in the middle of nowhere waiting, it sucks.

For my day to day usage... it doesnt matter, I plug in when im not riding.
For weekend fun, I might want to do 600 miles that day. I want to recharge fast.

So while the ideal is a large battery and a fast charger, the OEM tanks occupy the same space.
Also, the power tank is heavy.... the bike feels better without it. However that's a different, even more subjective discussion.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 12:55:35 AM »

I'm out and about today but realized I wrote up a version of this tradeoff on the wiki:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Travel#Upgrades

Maybe I should lift it out of that page since it's a broader topic than travel?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 01:18:15 AM »

I'm out and about today but realized I wrote up a version of this tradeoff on the wiki:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Travel#Upgrades

Maybe I should lift it out of that page since it's a broader topic than travel?
A bit of it in the Buyers Guide sounds like a great idea.

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »

I got the opportunity to do a range test on a '17 DS+charge tank. I had tested an FXS a few weeks ago but the real world range with my weight, size and right wrist was insufficient. 45 miles with most of that in eco mode wasn't justifiable for my needs. I picked up the freshly charged DS at about 1 and returned it at 4:20. I rode it on the streets and routes I frequently use and did so in the manner I usually ride. I wanted a "real world" gauge of range. Most of the suburban roads are 4 lanes with a 45mph speed limit on which most people go 55-60. Our rural roads are twisty and 2 lanes which most people take at 55-60. The highways are 6 lanes @ 60mph which translates to 75-80. I rode almost exclusively in sport mode which yielded 85 miles with 6% left but not in limp mode yet. The charge tank eased my range anxiety. We have free chargepoint stations at work so I swung by the plant and tossed in some electrons. The best rate I saw was 3.4kw so it didn't take long to gain enough range to get back to the dealership. A few notes:
1. I averaged slightly more than 50 mph including stoplights and a swing by the ATM. I can see where a good fairing would extend the range significantly.
2. A Corbin seat would be my first mod.
3. Drop the foot pegs about 1-1.5" and install pivot pegs.
4. I'd love a lighter return spring on the "throttle" to ease my carpel tunnel.
5. The vibration from the dual sport tires negates the smoothness of the electric drivetrain.
6. Long term, I'd fit a Diginow supercharger.
7. If we can come together on price, I'll have one in my garage soon.
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »

I have a ZF13, a charge tank and a fast(ish) charging solution @ ~7kW. If it'd be to buy again, I'd get the powertank and the Diginow's, hands down. For commuting it's totally overkill but doing 500km+ in a day is easy with charging times of about an hour and 200km practical range ;)
Pages: 1 [2]