• March 29, 2024, 09:25:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can Zero FXS get knocked over when parked in a storm?  (Read 783 times)

domingo3

• View Profile
Can Zero FXS get knocked over when parked in a storm?
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:50:27 PM »

Fully stock and no cover on it.  When I saw it was knocked over, I assumed someone hit and and didn't leave a note.  There was a brief rainstorm, but I find it hard to believe that wind could knock it off the sidestand.  It has a decent angle when on the sidestand, but I guess my faith in humanity would be slightly restored if it was a weather related accident.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Can Zero FXS get knocked over when parked in a storm?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:51:54 PM »

Unless it was a tornado I highly doubt the bike would fall over

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 11:52:39 PM »

If you parked it in the dirt in a rainstorm though it's possible the dirt would have turned to mud and the kickstand could have sank into it but that would be some serious rain

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:30:01 AM »

By experience, a windshield on a scooter or bike, with strong backwind can act as a "spinnaker" and push the bike forward until the side stand retracts and the bike falls on its left side.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:46:31 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, I had a Yamaha Roadliner similar to the one below that blew over while parked at work. We had a high wind warning (gusts to 60mph) and the parking lot is at the end of a 1200 yard long building. The wind ran down the side of the building and whipped around the corner right into my bike which was in the 1st parking spot. The bike was leaning on the kickstand on the L/S and got blown all the way past vertical and on to its R/S. I wouldn't have believed it but there was a witness. She was holding on to one of the handicap parking signs to keep from being blown over by the gust. Considering that the Roadliner is 2.5 times the weight of the FXS and has a lower center of gravity, I could see a strong wind doing it. I now park my bike at an angle at work so it doesn't get hit broadside by a gust coming around that corner.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:50:14 AM by Rugby4life »
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »

I had a Honda CX 500 Turbo get blown over in a wind storm, and it was on the Center Stand.
Depending upon the direction of the wind, angle of the bike etc, it would be easy enough for
the FX to be blown over.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »

Only time I've had a bike fall over in the wind was when the bike also had a puncture that I'd not spotted. (Not a Zero this was a big assed Seca2 aka 900 Diversion)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Kenmc_3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 02:10:31 AM »

I saw a BMW GS blown over on an empty parking lot. Also saw a "quick detachable" windshield blown of of a bike.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 01:42:45 AM »

I would say that it is totally possible that it got blown over.  Have a friend give it a little push on the left side and I bet you have to catch it before it falls.  It doesn't take much. 

My Zero was smacked by a little old lady in a parking lot and was hit opposite of the kickstand.  It fell. 

Bikes want to fall over.  Keep that in mind too. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1
Pages: [1]