• April 27, 2024, 03:58:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Graphe Batteries  (Read 855 times)

Francois

• View Profile
Graphe Batteries
« on: July 26, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »

hello someone heard about graphe batterie for 2018?

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: Graphe Batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »

I do, but i can't confirm.

doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »

Cool, Faresis paper. Some technical details in there. Wonder how long it will take for it to make it into production. Could be years, I imagine. Or maybe it's already in there : - )  3C charge rate doesn't hurt the cells, I hear, maybe that's novel electrodes at work. Can you comment, LiveForPhysics?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »

A bit off topic but what ever became of graphene light bulbs?

A few years late......
https://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/graphene-light-bulb/
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Hands0n

• 2016 SR (bought 2017)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 03:08:19 PM »

I have used supposed Graphene LiPo batteries in model aircraft, specifically multi-rotor or "drone" to use modern day parlance.   They tend to be very high C rated, starting at 70C and going upward depending on various types. 

My experience, and that of others, is that these provide a very "punchy" output on demand without getting all stressy and puffing up.  But they also have one characteristic that I personally find quite irritating ... when they give up the GIVE UP .... fast!  Literally dropping off the edge of a cliff.  Power output goes from Hero to Zero (sic) in a matter of moments, little tapering off. 

Given how powerful the existing batteries are in the Zero range of motorcycles I question whether Graphene will do anything much for our benefit.  We don't need more C of power output.  We need greater energy density and the Graphene LiPo of today, at least, do not do anything to improve energy density for a given physical size.   

In short - more free-flowing electrons but no improvement in pack energy density.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 05:07:55 PM »

I have used supposed Graphene LiPo batteries in model aircraft, specifically multi-rotor or "drone" to use modern day parlance.   They tend to be very high C rated, starting at 70C and going upward depending on various types. 

My experience, and that of others, is that these provide a very "punchy" output on demand without getting all stressy and puffing up.  But they also have one characteristic that I personally find quite irritating ... when they give up the GIVE UP .... fast!  Literally dropping off the edge of a cliff.  Power output goes from Hero to Zero (sic) in a matter of moments, little tapering off. 

Given how powerful the existing batteries are in the Zero range of motorcycles I question whether Graphene will do anything much for our benefit.  We don't need more C of power output.  We need greater energy density and the Graphene LiPo of today, at least, do not do anything to improve energy density for a given physical size.   

In short - more free-flowing electrons but no improvement in pack energy density.

The reason is because of a significant decrease in internal resistance.  That decrease in internal resistance also results in a decrease in heat generated.  If you ride fast and charge fast heat is a problem so I would definitely welcome any improvement.  Also enables faster charging.

The sharp drop off also means you get full or near full power right until the battery is dead.  Current gen Zero's reduce power as charge goes down starting at around 70%.  I would absolutely love to be able to get full power or near full power right until 0%.

Sign me up please :)
2014 Zero S

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 10:47:49 PM »

Hello,
I have been collecting some data about present and future (and perhaps science fiction  ;) ) batteries.
I have put them here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I6s1wDRKDxaI3wNfBJt4U5z26c81Qvi9rWT7J9-vT7U/edit?usp=sharing
where you can add your own data if you want (please add a line for each new information).
Regards
Gerard
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:15:35 PM by gt13013 »
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016
Pages: [1]