• March 29, 2024, 08:39:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ChargeTank with Extra Level 2 Charger  (Read 773 times)

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
ChargeTank with Extra Level 2 Charger
« on: July 23, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »

So I've been swayed into the SCv2 charger thinking it would work with an existing zero charge tank and possibly the  skidplate stock charger in parallel. From what I'm hearing, it will not work. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make a good power charging system work up to the 6.6kW limit (30Aac standard) or the occasional 40Aac JuiceBox or other higher power EVSE. From what I've gathered, it seems that a CAN message needs to be sent to the bike to close the battery contactor for key off charging. Does anyone have insight into the messages that need to be sent or how this works? I'm guessing that the SCv2 comm box provides this functionality somehow. I was sold on the SCv2 until further questions revealed that a charge tank parallel setup is not supported. It does not help that there is no way to contact the DigiNow people to ask how to make the SuperCharger work. What ever happened to the SuperCharger v1? That looks like a superior power level product. If it was available, perhaps I would jettison the zero charge tank.
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020
Consumed 3 sets of tires and 3 belts so far.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: ChargeTank with Extra Level 2 Charger
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:27:04 AM »

The DigiNow SCv2 will work with the Charge Tank and the onboard.  The SCv2 will plug into the AUX charge port.   Since you have charge tank you obviously will not have the tank area available for installing the SCv2 but it can be installed in a side case or top box.  With the onoboard (1.3kW), charge tank (2.5kW) you should be able to add 6.6kW SCv2 plugged into the AUX charge port without exceeding 1C charge limit.

Keep in mind this will require 2 J1772 plugs to be available (one for charge tank and onboard and one for SCv2).  If only one plug was available you would want to use the SCv2 at 6.6kW as opposed to 3.8kW from onboard+charge tank.

DigiNow used a different supplier for the SCv1.  While more powerful there were many issues with reliability. SCv2 is a much better product that is very reliable.
2014 Zero S

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »

The DigiNow SCv2 will work with the Charge Tank and the onboard.  The SCv2 will plug into the AUX charge port.   Since you have charge tank you obviously will not have the tank area available for installing the SCv2 but it can be installed in a side case or top box.  With the onoboard (1.3kW), charge tank (2.5kW) you should be able to add 6.6kW SCv2 plugged into the AUX charge port without exceeding 1C charge limit.

Keep in mind this will require 2 J1772 plugs to be available (one for charge tank and onboard and one for SCv2).  If only one plug was available you would want to use the SCv2 at 6.6kW as opposed to 3.8kW from onboard+charge tank.

DigiNow used a different supplier for the SCv1.  While more powerful there were many issues with reliability. SCv2 is a much better product that is very reliable.
Exactly.
Another benefit on the SCv2 is that it is MUCH quieter.  The SCv1 sounded like a banshee.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:12:03 PM »

Yes, Ben and Mr Wilson have it right.  Use 1 J plug for your onboard and charge tank, and the 2nd for up to 6.6 of Diginow chargers plugged into the accessory port.  If only one J plug is available, just use the 6.6 Diginow chargers, they have bike charge enabling for the contactor built into the control board.

The SCv1 had many issues and was no where near the level of quality that the SCv2 is.  If you are skilled in basic electronics, you could perhaps even remove the chargetank which is 2.5 kW and install a 9.9 Diginow in the same space in the tank area (basically 4 times more power than the chargetank) to give you 11.2 kW charging from 2 J plugs.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:17:35 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 06:45:45 AM »

Thanks for the information. I installed the charge tank myself since I'm skilled at this sort of thing and my dealer clearly was not up to the task.

The main thing here is that the combined chargers need to work from one J1772 plug. I'm still curious how the bike handles communications from more than one charger at a time (charge tank + diginow).
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020
Consumed 3 sets of tires and 3 belts so far.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »

Only communication between DigiNow and the bike is the enable which is a simple discrete signal that tells the bike to keep the contactor closed.

You could wire it all up to a single J-plug by just (very carefully and professionally) tapping L1  and L2 from charge tank J-port.  The problem you will have is most public chargers are limited to 6.6kW and you will exceed that using onboard plus charge tank plus DigiNow (even with just 3.3kW from DigiNow). That's the reason to use two J-plugs....there are WAY more stations with two plugs than there are stations that can provide more than 6.6kW.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »

And there's no good way to identify stations capable of high current before you get there. Shadow's identified a 75a 15kw station, and I've found stations that can handle 8.4kw, but mostly you don't know how much they can handle- plugshare has no place to report that.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1]