• March 28, 2024, 08:24:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ride-On tire sealant for ATV on my Motorcycle, Good or Bad?  (Read 4777 times)

macstructures

• View Profile

I made a rookie mistake trying to save some $$$.

I was looking into buying Ride-On Tire Sealant for my motorcycle and most of the bottles were 8 oz ($14.50) and I need more for the Zero and my other two Harley Davidson, that I have not riden since I bought the Zero a month ago. :)

So I found a 32 oz ($20.99) and decided to buy it... it was a 3rd of the price for 4 bottles of the correct item (the MC version).

Now the question... Is it the same product... just advertised for motorcycles? and of course everything for motorcycles is more $$$.

Do I have to remove it from the motorcycle tires and put the correct product? or wait until I need new tires? I only have 600 miles on it and don't want to mess up the tires or wheels.

I noticed that it was for ATVs tonight, when I was going to re-order another bottle for the other motorcycles, but unfortunately (hope not) I already put it on the Zero and one tire on the HD. I rode the Zero today after installing it for about 60 miles... all good... but not very fast about 60 MPH top speed.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:33:16 AM by macstructures »
Zero: 2016 DSR
HD: Rocker C 08 / Sportster 1200L 09

macstructures

• View Profile
Re: Ride-On tire sealant for ATV on my Motorcycle!! :(
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »

By the lack of responses... it looks like I'm the first one that has made this mistake?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:50:59 AM by macstructures »

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:09:21 PM »

In my opinion using a product like this is a mistake.

I carry two plug type product as well as a small pump.

That said I've yet to prove that the pump will work on the 10amp aux. circuit so perhaps your approach will ultimately work best on a motorcycle with very limited aux. power :P

http://www.dynaplug.com/products.html

http://www.tirerepairkit.com/
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:35:04 AM »

That said I've yet to prove that the pump will work on the 10amp aux. circuit so perhaps your approach will ultimately work best on a motorcycle with very limited aux. power :P

http://www.dynaplug.com/products.html

http://www.tirerepairkit.com/
See also review of similar compressor http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6347.0

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »

Thank you both for the info, but still not an answer to my question. I would like to know is someone has used the ATV version of this product on a motorcycle.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 12:33:04 AM »

I would do it, for a small hole, in a pinch, but if you are asking if some expert will tell you it's fine, probably not.

Motorcycles go way faster, and put a lot more stress on tires.  You don't see ATVs going 90mph, and you the forces are larger when the wheels are larger and the PSI are greater.

In my mind, the risk tradeoff would be that if it got me to where I could do a better fix, I would do it, but I would run at lower speeds, stay closer to the edge of the highway, and ride with the full awareness that I was taking a chance.

Better to carry a proper repair kit and a compressor.  But that's bulk.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 03:51:35 AM »

I wouldn't trust tire sealant nor want to deal with the mess come time to change a tire, but maybe (I hope?) you will have better results?

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 04:19:59 AM »

The problem is that I already put it in the tires on my Zero... I just wanted to know if someone has use the ATV version on their motorcycle, the same mistake, and had any issues with it?

This product you put it in the tires and that is it, it should take care of punctures (1/4 inch or less, per website) and leaks for the life of the tire or until the damage is too big for it to fix it.... when the tire has worn out due to use or extrema damages (something that this can not seal), then you remove the tire, clean the wheel, install the new tire and put Tide-on again until you replace the tire again.

I know a guy that puts it in the tires every time he installs new tires, and it stays on it for the life of the tire (10K plus miles). I just don't know somebody that has use the ATV version on Motorcycles.

Speed wise I should be fine... for me is the joy of riding, be out doors, relax.. have fun. Don't care how fast I go, don't have a time frame to get to my destination, if any, and come back. I never been on a long ride ( I don't think I want to) ... maybe 150 miles total in a day, with a few stops on the way... just relaxing.

For example the other two motorcycles that I have are a 2008 with 7200 miles, 2009 with 7800 and the Zero with 600 miles in 2 months.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:48:49 AM by macstructures »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 06:07:45 AM »

...For example the other two motorcycles that I have are a 2008 with 7200 miles, 2009 with 7800 and the Zero with 600 miles in 2 months.
My 2016 DSR just turned 16,000mi today. Sweet sixteen I say. Rear was changed sometime when I got a puncture, didn't bother to plug it. Front is from when bike was new. I have a set of Shinko tires, ordered tools today, going to make a video on changing tires.

Not trying to hijack your thread. I just provide this for comparison. I can't bother with goop in my tires, but I also don't know if it's effective or not, just that it's a mess for the person changing tires.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 06:26:02 AM »

They look like they still have some life in them, did you see Anton's, or worse, Terry's?

: - )

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »

They look like they still have some life in them, did you see Anton's, or worse, Terry's?

: - )

If you can't see cords all the way around, getting a new tire is just wasting perfectly good materials IMO.  Just be prepared for a pop if you run over a sharp rock, and be prepared to ride at 20 mph to your closest tire repair store

As far as tire sealant, I carry 4 sticky plugs, the inserter (not the reamer) and a 12v powered mini slime ball air pump with flashlight built in.  Weighs less than a pound, and less than $20 from O'reilly autoparts in santa cruz but I assume at all of them.  Tire sealant makes changing tires a miserable job for the mechanic.  Stick to plugs and an air compressor.  Carry a can with you in an emergency to use if the plug doesn't work for some reason (mine always have worked, some plugs have lasted for 15,000 miles, never had one fail!)
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 08:08:23 AM »

I washed out yesterday both wheels on a dirt road and just barely recovered. Time to change the tires.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »

OK... but again... not what I asked.

Has anybody used ride-on tire sealant labeled ATV on a motorcycle?

I might be a mess / miserable to change the tire... but my main concern is not to go down due to a puncture or have a flat that could be prevented by using this product. A mess / miserable  to remove a tire for the owner or the mechanic is nothing in comparison to going down and messed up your motorcycle and/or badly hurt.

By the amount of miles that other members can ride on these tires... it looks like Ride-on will be in my tires for a while... hopefully I will have to change them due to wear and after thousands of miles... not due to a puncture or accident.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:32:14 AM by macstructures »

togo

• View Profile
Re: Ride-On tire sealant for ATV on my Motorcycle, Good or Bad?
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 11:21:38 AM »

Ah, okay. If it was mine, I'd let it be. It's already in there, it shouldn't do much harm.  If you have to deal with gunk in the tire you might as well wait till you have to change a tire.

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
Re: Ride-On tire sealant for ATV on my Motorcycle, Good or Bad?
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 12:32:08 AM »

Can't help you with the ATV Ride-On but I can comment on whether Ride-On is messy or not - in my opinion, it isn't. It stays neatly right in the center of the tire and washes out easily with water if you need to wash it out. I have changed tires with Ride-On in them and it has not been a problem at all. I don't use it anymore because it failed to stop a slow leak and I kind of lost confidence in it. I have heard that Slime tire sealant is quite messy.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser
Pages: [1] 2